How England will win the World Cup this year...

NADatar said:
When I watch soccer*, I watch it on the Mexican station. Those announcers are fucking amazing.

*tennis, or whatever you Euronigs call it
Remember that Simpsons where the American commentators are bored silly while the player holds the ball, then they pan to the hispanic broadcasters who are all jacked up "Hold! Hold!". Awesome.

Eminor said:
Remember that Simpsons where the American commentators are bored silly while the player holds the ball, then they pan to the hispanic broadcasters who are all jacked up "Hold! Hold!". Awesome.
hahaha, I missed that one! Sounds about right though.

JayKeeley said:
The only drawback (which may not affect some people) is that the commentary in the US is SO F'ING BAD...

Last time they broadcasted the rugby WC on German TV, two guys who didn't know shit about rugby spent like 75% of an entire game reading and trying to answer eMails from spectators inquiring about the rules. Pretty fucking hilarious.

Tonight is tv overload: 2 hour finale of LOST and the fucking Champions League final....(yes, I know they're playing now but NY time on VHS > Paris time live broadcast).

Conspicuously Absent said:
how can it be a world cup if its not entirely made of US teams?

zing.

Reminds me of when the US got all excited about beating Russia at ice hockey. That would be about as exciting as seeing the olympic dream team basketball team beating Ethiopia reserves at Madison Square Gardens. Any excuse to make a kurt russell movie.

Ellestin said:
Yeah so the highlight of WC'98 was when Iran beat USA. Discuss.

Actually, the highlight for me was seeing Owen score against Argentina in THAT goal. But yeah, Iran beating the USA was pretty memorable.

Iran 2 - USA 1 .... I remember it being a fair game too (no diving, bad tackles, etc).

JayKeeley said:
Reminds me of when the US got all excited about beating Russia at ice hockey. That would be about as exciting as seeing the olympic dream team basketball team beating Ethiopia reserves at Madison Square Gardens. Any excuse to make a kurt russell movie.
Ahh yes. I, for one, am soooo sick of hearing about the "miracle on ice". It's still talked about to this day. A couple of points, 1) the US team won ONE game against the Russians - hardly statistically relevant 2) how many guys on that team went on to play pro? One? Maybe two? Nothing special there.
I just don't want to hear about it anymore. It's like the USA's least interesting sporting event and yet it NEVER GOES AWAY

dorian gray said:
Ahh yes. I, for one, am soooo sick of hearing about the "miracle on ice". It's still talked about to this day. A couple of points, 1) the US team won ONE game against the Russians - hardly statistically relevant 2) how many guys on that team went on to play pro? One? Maybe two? Nothing special there.
I just don't want to hear about it anymore. It's like the USA's least interesting sporting event and yet it NEVER GOES AWAY

Well, to be fair, I was being facetious. :p I do think it was a pretty big event, but yeah, I just like to laugh at Americans when they win at sports that ONLY THEY PLAY and make out that it's something magnificent.

What is brilliant, for example, is when the US team beat Portugal in the world cup soccer. THAT is worth remembering, you know, when the US is the underdog for once.

Did you hear about that contest that ADIDAS USA was doing? Six kids get picked to see the semi-finals in Germany, plus they also get a tour around Germany with officials from ADIDAS. I believe they also get to hang out with all kinds of football players, all of the popular European ones apparently. One of my best friend's brother just found out that he won! Lucky little bastard.

OK so I'm no Arsenal fan, but....

They were the better team last night. They showed heroics, went down to 10 men after 20 minutes and hung on. Yes, the keeper should have been sent off, but in the interest of the game, the ref should have given him a yellow and allowed the goal. Even he admits that now.

In last night's game:

Thiery Henry >>>>>>>>>>>> Ronaldinho

And I also agree that the ref was a little more lenient with Barcelona in some of those fouls.

Quite honestly, Barcelona won but I think Arsenal can hold their heads up high. They showed guts & determination, and to be honest, Barcelona played sub-par, especially with the one man advantage.

Great game. Until the keeper got sent off, Barcelona didn't even show up. It was all Arsenal. If it stayed that way, Arsenal would have won.