How long have you been posting on forums?

I like forums better than chat rooms or Facebook. People generally stay on topic and the format lends itself to deeper thought and more in-depth replies. I hope forums stick around on the Internet forevs and it never degenerates into just a meaningless pile of Twitter updates and cat photos.

100% this.

Late 90's/dawn of the new millennium. The first board I signed up for was a horror board which was actually part of a larger film forum which surprisingly is still around although I stopped actively posting on it years ago. Deader than dead can be which is a shame because back when I signed up it was booming. You literally could refresh at any moment and there'd could be 6-7 new posts. It was really a great find for someone like me who knew no one "in real life" with the same interests.

UM was the second place I signed up for and I've been here since 2003 for shits sake so this has been my longest lasting online hangout. I really only post on two other forums these days, both are film boards. I have accounts other places too but they don't get much activity these days.

I'm in total agreement in preferring the message board formant to Facebook. I'm in a few groups on there and things get cluttered very fast. That and the fact that "likes" don't mean shit. Give me conversation. I'm happy to see this place still active. Hell I've had better film related discussions in the movie thread on here lately than I've had on certain film boards.

First forums were MTG salvation and GameFAQs when I was a weird teenager listening to black metal, playing Pokemon and MTG. Strange how it's really not odd any more.

Also, 10,000th post. I've reached a new plateau of no life. Probably would have happened a lot sooner if so many of my posts weren't deleted over the years.

Reactions: unknown and Omni
98-99 or so. Played a turn based game during a freshman computer class called Utopia. Got pretty involved and went to the forums to ask questions and got hooked. I had over 10k posts on that forum in 3-4 years. I guess I got it all out of my system and dont post too much any more. I'm 31 so that's right at half of my life too.

I was 13, so around 2005. I had just started playing guitar and was looking up stuff on the internet about gear. I came across an internet forum (the now defunct ESP Guitar forums--thanks website owners) and have frequented forums ever since. UM has been my mainstay for most of the time I've been a member (with much of my time being spent on the COBOT and Bloodbath boards the first couple of years).

I think I started posting on forums back in 2001 on several different Yu-Gi-Oh/Card Game forums. I think I initially joined Toywiz or something but I really don't remember. I posted on a few other forums in the day, some different gaming ones until I joined here in 2008. I lurk on a few other forums like the NWN forums every once in a while, but I mainly stick to this one now.

november 2002 on an abandonware forum lol. obviously it was only a couple weeks before i joined here

also my username was nixallicaroth which is probably an even worse name than guardian of darkness

I used to have a PokéMon name on a forum when I was a teenager, so it's okay.

i still love ff7, metallica and pokemon

anyway, the internet was so much more fun back then, before it got infiltrated by NORMALS. agree/disagree?

I'm actually kind of mixed on this. In a way I think there were actually more normies back then, at least in the early 2000s (maybe not the 90s). On one hand, people seemed a lot more open with their nerdiness, e.g. it seemed like every other person had their own personal font color and forum image. Like on a Baldur's Gate forum I read, the most active poster was a woman who pretended she was an AI, and she'd turn what should be a one-word response into...

Hello, my organic subjects, this is Queen Datatree.

In my eternal knowledge divined by innumerable processing power, I have come to inform all of you that Pepsi is indeed the carbonated beverage of superior quality and favored by reasonable simians.

Take care,
Queenie

Or some shit like that. And everyone had a fucking Trigun or Boogiepop Phantom signature. Unless all these people just died off though, I feel like behind a silly internet persona these were the actual normies though. That kind of stuff gets ridiculed on the internet these days, but back then it always tried so hard to be friendly and inviting. Like, most forums have a general "Post whatever" thread where people just chat about their lives and shit, like this place. But back then it wasn't just "Post whatever", it was "Welcome to Mac's Olde Irish Pub" and it was customary to order a fucking dwarven lager before bitching about your job. Because I'm autistic and the kind of kid that played around others rather than with others, I never understood the bylaws of that forum culture and don't miss it tbh.

In a way I miss the days when multiplayer shooters were really huge and there was a big influx of proto-TheNightsBanes running around, arguing about everything and calling everyone fags. They were normies, much more so than the forums they disrupted, but I feel they were a catalyst to promoting a culture of shitposting and banter. The only problem is that it's an inherently unsustainable model of building a forum. A good argument can generate hundreds of posts in an otherwise quiet board overnight, but the problem is 90% of people don't have the time/patience for that. I think the SomethingAwful forums might have played a significant part in that kind of culture forum-wide as well, with their furry-bashing and general stuck-up dickish attitude. I remember really wanting to join when I was 12 years old, but I knew my parents would never allow me to pay for a forum account.

God it's hard to find a forum with just the right balance of activity, argument, and civility.

edit: oh god actually it's probably THIS. if mort read this he'd probably hang himself

Holy shit this is :lol:

In response to BlackMetalTyrant:

Try listening to the music before you judge a song based on lyrics that are incomprehensible unless you're following along with a lyric sheet you stupid inferior-gened jungle bunny.

More:

You forgot to make a comment about BlackMetalTyrant being a shitfaced cumchugger.

Dodens you are a Racist Ignorant piece of shit. "jungle bunny" oh thats fucking hilarious you cunt. Im black, why would I listen to racist music for, why would I even listen to just the music if the lyrics were bashing my race. Im don't appreciate when people talk shit about my race, so I think all bands with racist lyrics suck, fuck them all. Why would you devote your time to making racist statements about a certain group of people. Maybe they are good musicians but they are shitheads and will never get anywhere. Fuck Arghoslent and bands like them, stop spreading racial hatred.

You're right, racists never get anywhere. I mean, look at Hitler. That bum did practically nothing. "Oooh look, I dug my country out of it's worst depression in history, I united it under a common goal, I started the last great war." fuckin' lazy bum

BlackMetalTyrant is cargo.

But the guitar is the instrument of the Sambo people.

He's bringing up the issue of Varg and his claim that the guitar is a broz instrument, you idiot.

Edit: Also, I fucking hope AstralPoetry wasn't serious, because I laughed.

Im not wondering about that, just the term sambo people is interesting. Bitch shut up. Dumbass.

If you thought it was interesting you should have said "Sambo people? Interesting words of choice," instead of "That doesn't make any sense," you fucking dolt. By dolt I mean broz.

How about I can word things however the fuck I want queer, and by queer I mean queer.

If you weren't ashamed of being a baboon then you wouldn't be offended when people call you one. :confused:

Gallantry, Im not a broz, Im not a baboon, Im not a sambo, Im a black person. Im not going to aknowledge someone calling me anything else.

That's great, you filthy porch monkey. Really, it is. However, you should try wording things so that you communicate your intended meaning to other people. Others cannot understand your private language.

How do we not know that BlackMetalTyrone isn't just some white honky from Rhode Island? Tyrone will you please post a picture of your arboreal residing self (preferably in some metal attire) to validate your tr00 existence as a coonervillian? I'd certainly be most obliged.

Last edited: