How many of you consider Opeth a doom metal band?

Nope, and anyone who thinks so needs to listen to more doom metal and then Opeth again to hear the contrast. Though a few songs are kinda doomy sometimes. DFN, Wreath, AFJ, Face of Melinda, TNATSW, maybe others. I haven't listened to The Grand Conjuration so I don't know about that.

Hondo said:
Nope, and anyone who thinks so needs to listen to more doom metal and then Opeth again to hear the contrast. Though a few songs are kinda doomy sometimes. DFN, Wreath, AFJ, Face of Melinda, TNATSW, maybe others. I haven't listened to The Grand Conjuration so I don't know about that.

What are you waiting for bitch? :cool:

Hondo said:

where's doom in wreath and tnatsw...? but i agree that the outro of AFJ is doomy (especially on the DVD...)

NineFeetUnderground said:
not all doom is slow. get your facts straight.

go listen to candlemass, solitude aeturnus, saint vitus, and trouble...and then tell me all doom is "slooooooow".

:Smug:
Totally agreed, saying Opeth is Doom is like saying Knights of the Round Table are Ancient Egyptian.

Doom is a FAR slower and has a completely different emotional and musical influence/focus. Doom is a totally different style of music.

As above,. bands like Candlemass, Cathedral, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Unholy (which is more Avantgard Doom) among others.

Opeth are so totally un-doom its not funny... you couldn't get any further from Doom. Opeth has more Death Metal tinges to it, but it's not strictly Death Metal either.

But no, NOWHERE near Doom, not at all.

They have some doomy riffes here and there, most notably on the outro part of
A Fair Judgement (so if you don't know how doom kinda sounds, listen to the last part)

That doesn't make them a doom band. IMHO theyre degressive grey forrest polka metal :Spin:

The Hubster said:
Opeth are so totally un-doom its not funny... you couldn't get any further from Doom. Opeth has more Death Metal tinges to it, but it's not strictly Death Metal either.

But no, NOWHERE near Doom, not at all.

I'm a very huge doom fans. I'm very much into bands like Morgion, Esoteric, My Dying Bride, Void of Silence, Thergothon, Mar de Grises among others and I can assure you my friend, this statement of yours is just...wrong. "Couldn't get any further from Doom"? WTF? Any power metal, for exemple, is much further from Doom than Opeth. To me, Opeth is NOT a doom metal band, but they certainly drifting into that realm from time to time.

You can't label Opeth...just face it. If you think you can, someone else will have a different label. It's not like we're trying to label Suffocation here.

HAha! I remember Duke 3d!

"What are you waiting for? Christmas?"

Myi big bro used to play it all the time!

Rensei said:
I'm a very huge doom fans. I'm very much into bands like Morgion, Esoteric, My Dying Bride, Void of Silence, Thergothon, Mar de Grises among others and I can assure you my friend, this statement of yours is just...wrong. "Couldn't get any further from Doom"? WTF? Any power metal, for exemple, is much further from Doom than Opeth. To me, Opeth is NOT a doom metal band, but they certainly drifting into that realm from time to time.

good to see some morgion fans. i may actually be starting a band with the drummer from morgion...it will be doom mixed with psychadelia. he asked me to join him. if my schedule permits, i will do it.