How much loyalty to any one band?

Décadent;5564264 said:
I only own First Daze Here, which bizarrely, is infinitely better than First Daze Here Too. I just have no fucking idea where to obtain copies of ANY of their albums. I'm really keen on getting the first few, as it's the later tracks on the FDH comp I like the most.

I never listen to FDHT... I tried and it just doesn't have the same consistency to it. I'll go back to it someday.

Which were your favourites off First Daze Here? I find myself skipping to "Review Your Choices," "Hurricane," "Earth Flight" and "20 Buck Spin" again and again... these tracks slay the first few on the album!

I only have one of the old singles: When the Screams Come/Livin' in a Ram's Head... I'm glad I picked it up!

Also, check out the Death Row - Death is Alive live comp lp, it has some good, if raw, tracks!

I don't get much money (I'm thirteen, almost fourteen) so whenever I buy an album, I have to really work out which one I want the most. Theoretically, I should have the best album from each band, but sadly:
Blackwater Park - Opeth (coz it was $10 down at JB-Hifi)
Are You Dead Yet - COB (and I don't own their other albums. what a stupid idea)
And the rest, now that I'm looking at them, are just a bunch of punk albums like Wednesday 13 and Ramones. Huh.

I never listen to FDHT... I tried and it just doesn't have the same consistency to it. I'll go back to it someday.

Which were your favourites off First Daze Here? I find myself skipping to "Review Your Choices," "Hurricane," "Earth Flight" and "20 Buck Spin" again and again... these tracks slay the first few on the album!

Lazylady, Review Your Choices, 20 Buck Spin, Be Forwarned, and my personal favourite, Last Days Here. I really, really dig the vibe on that last track, it's rokkin' yet sombre, mournful yet hopeful, and just reeks of everything fantastic about the 70's, such as wooden finishes on hifi equipment. It's just really fucking earthy and I dig that hard.

i just came from a guys house party and this guy owned 3000 fucking cds in his walk-in closet.
had manilla road, helstar, you name it..i'm so fucking envious...
i didnt think there were any people in fresno, ca more "metal" than me.
/me drunk and off to sleep

I buy what I like or at least think I'll like, first and foremost. If that includes a band's entire discography, it's mostly coincidental, but it does happen. As far as that's concerned, most of my complete collections are from bands who evolved while maintaining relatively consistent quality (Enslaved, Death, Immolation, Gorguts, Emperor, Katatonia, Blind Guardian to a lesser extent). Then there's a smaller amount who changed little but remained enjoyable (Vader, King Diamond, Dismember, etc.). But there are a number of bands whom I like as much or more than the above whose entire discographies I will most likely never own. I just can't justify buying Priest's "Demolition", Exodus' "Force of Habit" or Amorphis' "Far from the Sun", no matter how amazing a lot of their other output is.

If a band has been releasing good material consistently, I usually strive to get everything from them. Like Kamelot, Nightwish, Rhapsody, Iron Maiden, Amon Amarth, etc. But take a band like Metallica, who have just regressed from 'Master of Puppets' quality to 'St. Anger' material...I have quite lost the loyalty I had for them.

I guess I go at it pragmatically. I will keep buying albums by a group until they start to suck (which is inevitable). When they put out a sucky album, I will usually buy one more to see if the one that blew was a fluke. 99 times out of 100 it was not a fluke.

I don't think I can think of a single band that actually gets better as they go along. They ALL start to suck at some point. In my opinion, that is because they have probably grown tired of what they were doing and have moved in a new direction (however slight it may be). Therefore, they are moving away from what made them great.

About the most consistent band I can think of, in that they NEVER change, is Mortician (I know, I know, most of you will say "yeah, consistently shitty", but whatever). That is one of the things that make Mortician so great. I own a lot of their releases (I don't think I have the latest couple, though) and I guarantee you, the instant they start doing something different I will stop buying them. Because then they no longer will be Mortician, know what I mean?

I like it when a band just does whatever they have always done. WHen they "branch out" or "expand", they are becoming another band, in a sense. And, that is what other bands exist for. When I am tired of listening to Mortician, I don't want to hear another "version" of Mortician, I will simply slip a disk of another band in the player. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I am babbling now. Done.

You bought all of Slayer's stuff? :erk:

Aside from Christ Illusion.

I know, I know. The thing is, as much as I enjoyed Divine Intervention - and I did like it - I knew that everything past it is utterly fucking bollocks.

I still bought them. I can't bear to sell them or trade them either.

I think I have a problem...:loco:

Aside from Christ Illusion.

I know, I know. The thing is, as much as I enjoyed Divine Intervention - and I did like it - I knew that everything past it is utterly fucking bollocks.

I still bought them. I can't bear to sell them or trade them either.

I think I have a problem...:loco:

I like CI, best since DI. Even DIM had some good songs on it. GHUA was terrible though. :ill:

Uh... neither does Iron Maiden. They haven't released anything particularly worth listening to since Seventh Son of A Seventh Son and certainly not enough good material to warrant owning all of their 20 or so albums.

Uh... neither does Iron Maiden. They haven't released anything particularly worth listening to since Seventh Son of A Seventh Son and certainly not enough good material to warrant owning all of their 20 or so albums.

Sadly you are pretty much correct.

I disagree with statements as the one above about Maiden and I certainly hope Decadent wasnt saying Better Off Dead wasnt worth owning because I strongly disagree with that too...

However, when a band changes an important member, eg. when Dickinson was replaced by Blaze - I dont feel like my discography is any less complete by not owning any of the Blaze material.