How popular are Symphony X?

AutumnGust

Apr 13, 2005
Finland
How popular do you think Symphony X are? And would you say their an underrated band?

I only got into them recently myself, now a few months later their my favorite band. Not many of my few friends considers them anything special :/

Most people I know, that are into metal, fall into three categories regarding Symx:
1. They've got no idea who they are
2. They are under the impression Symx are a DT/Malmsteen clone
3. They blindly bow down to their greatness

I've heard some people accuse them of being stuck in the 80s "fantasy" metal style. But to me, that's not a very sound argument, as everyone knows a lot of the 80s were more about flash and style first, substance as an afterthought. Those groups used image as a gimmick to stand out. Yet SX puts the music first. The prog/classical/metal they do so well speaks for itself. This deep combination may be what detracts from any potential accessability, but hey, they do their own thing and that's what music should be all about. Despite maybe not being the most popular band around, they're awesome at what they do, have a solid, loyal fan base, and that's all that matters.

I have met VERY few people who have even heard of Symphony X. The one's that have are all musicians. Of course, prog isn't really popular in the US as compared to Japan and some parts of Europe.

i think SYX biggest following is probably japan. they are all into that fantasy stuff they eat it up. while i have no problem with that lyrical topic. and all the fanboys here think they do no wrong. i would love to see them attempt different things other then the tried and true formula they have come up with. thats why a band such as DT gets so much critisism they take chances. some people like it some dont. but at least they dont make the same album over and over. not that SyX does. they jsut really never have ventured into something new other then this album is darker, or heavier. and they will never be really popular with that vocal type they employ 80's style singing basically. while DT has this, they are the standard in the genre. but even mike portnoy said hed prefer a different style vocals if he chose a new singer today.

they aren't that popular and I like it that way. I love their music no matter what anyone says. I love *REAL* singing, and I'd consider it the best vocal style period...way above death/black growls, metalcore screaming, nu-metal (who knows what that is), or anything.

I definitely think they are underrated because some people merely here one song and say they don't like the singing and/or lyrical content, and don't even give credit to their talent and songwriting. I usually interpret lyrics to my own knowledge, so I have no problem about what they talk about. Plus it's still fun to listen to the lyrics they write because to me it blends into the music perfectly and creates a mood that is hard to describe.

Prog fans seem to be pretty rare where I'm from - the rock and metal places near me are all more conventional or pop metal. Occasionally you'll meet someone who has heard or even likes Symphony X. I got a nod from someone who noticed my Orphaned Land shirt the other day which surprised me. Thing is, most people I know who were into metal tended to take a liking to Symphony X relatively quickly. I guess it's just an accessibility thing - you have to know someone who can "enlighten" you ;).

However, they seem to be so popular they even attract non-fans to come on the forum and post how much they dislike the band! Seems a bit silly to me.

But to me, that's not a very sound argument, as everyone knows a lot of the 80s were more about flash and style first, substance as an afterthought.
You're probably thinking of the hair metal guys... but there was other metal in the 80's, and fantasy played a big part. Ever hear of a little group known as Iron Maiden?

I think the fantasy content does turn people off from SX though... I happen to love it. Pois0nSeed has a good list of reasons, except some people give the "I'm not into all that swords and dragon-slaying kinda stuff" excuse for not digging SX.

But to tell you the truth, I'm meeting more and more metalheads who have heard, and are fans of Symphony X. I think the rising popularity of bands like Bodom, Dimmu, and In Flames over here in the states is raising awareness of the non-nu-metal scene.

Metal is a genre where a few thousand releases indicates a "massive hit". Appart from a few superstar bands most bands only have reletavly small fanbases compared to the mainstream music world. As far as most metal bands go therefore I would say Symphony X are pretty popular, and definatly one of the most successful prog bands. DT are of course the leaders in that respect, but I guess it just shows that there is luck involved in making it big as much as talent...

Korona said:
Metal is a genre where a few thousand releases indicates a "massive hit". Appart from a few superstar bands most bands only have reletavly small fanbases compared to the mainstream music world. As far as most metal bands go therefore I would say Symphony X are pretty popular, and definatly one of the most successful prog bands. DT are of course the leaders in that respect, but I guess it just shows that there is luck involved in making it big as much as talent...
Luck and a deal on a major record label like Atlantic...why do you think SymX aren't popular? One MAJOR reason is that they aren't promoted very well...however, that is to be expected when you think that they are signed to a record label such as InsideOut...InsideOut, as awesome as they are, are pretty much a prog label, therefore they aren't a rich popular label...however, Megadeth were on Capitol Records and eventually wanted out of their contract, so perhaps SymX likes the perks of their current label and doesn't want to risk the crap that could come with a large label...

I'm the only person in my area whom I know of that likes Symphony X. I've given most of my friends a listen to their stuff and they're put off by one thing or another, whether it be the lyrics, the singing style or the songs themselves. But as has been said, people judge them from one song which is NOT right. I hardly ever pay attention to lyrics in any songs by any bands, I always focus on the instruments and the tone and pitches of the singing. Symphony X are underrated in my opinion, I'm so glad I found them, easily my favourite band.

OfSinsAndShred said:
You're probably thinking of the hair metal guys... but there was other metal in the 80's, and fantasy played a big part. Ever hear of a little group known as Iron Maiden?

I think the fantasy content does turn people off from SX though... I happen to love it. Pois0nSeed has a good list of reasons, except some people give the "I'm not into all that swords and dragon-slaying kinda stuff" excuse for not digging SX.

But to tell you the truth, I'm meeting more and more metalheads who have heard, and are fans of Symphony X. I think the rising popularity of bands like Bodom, Dimmu, and In Flames over here in the states is raising awareness of the non-nu-metal scene.

But the crowd that it latching onto Bodom Dimmu and especially In Flames is not the real metal crowd, but the metalcore crowd. So it doesn't really count.

Yngvai X said:
But the crowd that it latching onto Bodom Dimmu and especially In Flames is not the real metal crowd, but the metalcore crowd. So it doesn't really count.

ok so what is the "REAL METAL" crowd? you may not like certain types of metal but its all real metal. and yea most people that like that would think syx is gay because of the vocals. i happen to appreciate most forms of metal tho for extreme vocals it has to be realllllly good . but dont be elitist about music all metal has its merits as does all music. jsut because you or i may not spin it, doesnt mean it doesnt have its place

I agree with Moonchild. I think it is a matter of opinion on what you think real metal is and we should at least say that it is our opinion rather than state it as fact.

I really hope that SX stay on a label that lets them produce the music that they want.

I don't know about US, but atleast here in Finland they seem to be pretty well known and I think their fanbase in europe is pretty big, not as big as DT or maybe Stratovarius, but I think they are getting more known, slowly but surely.

Moonchild141 said:
ok so what is the "REAL METAL" crowd? you may not like certain types of metal but its all real metal. and yea most people that like that would think syx is gay because of the vocals. i happen to appreciate most forms of metal tho for extreme vocals it has to be realllllly good . but dont be elitist about music all metal has its merits as does all music. jsut because you or i may not spin it, doesnt mean it doesnt have its place

metalcore is not real metal. Thats my opinion but its also fact. The bullshit on mtv2 and in hot topic is not real metal. Take a look at the Wacken lineup this year. That is real metal.