How popular are Symphony X?

SX popularity is a tough concept to figure. I go to tons of metal shows and ALWAYS see lots of SX shirts. But, as mentioned before by others, I too find very few people who have even heard of them. They could have really benefited from opening for some more popular bands in previous years. Of course, if they ever DO achieve the popularity of say, Dream Theater, there will be plenty of fans who won't like it. The price of popularity i suppose...

bball_1523 said:
I really hope that SX stay on a label that lets them produce the music that they want.

Michael Romeo once conveyed to me that total creative control could never be infringed upon if he were to go to another label. You gotta give him props for that too; 'cuz the feeling I got was that no amount of money would matter.

I'm just so thankful for this band.

I remember when I read the review for V in Metal Edge; the writer referred to SX as "metal's best kept secret". And they still are. And as much as I want growing awareness of the band and high financial returns and goodies for the band; I still want that element of surprising discovery of this awesome band to a new, fresh ear to still be there.

Symphony X is pretty well-known where I live, but there's not a whole lot of people who listen to them. I think that besides myself, I've only seen one other person wearing a Symphony X shirt...ever. However, they're more popular than most other progressive metal bands. Around here, most people don't like prog or power metal, which are my two favorite genres, so I get made fun of quite a bit. I don't mind though, because at least I get to listen to the music that I love.

I have met 4 SX fans in a city that holds about 2 million people.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
am I the only nonmusician whose favorite bands are both dream theater and symphony x?

No you are not. DT + SX = metal heaven :loco:

Pharoah said:
They're not that "popular", because they aren't that well-known.
But wait until the Gigantour is through. They will be quite "popular".

They'll have a lot of new fans, but they won't be "popular" ;).