how u discovered opeth...

in2thenight

black halo
Oct 28, 2001
Surrey, UK
when did u first hear one of their songs and what was your first impression?

as a new(ish) fan, the first song i heard was 'the drapery falls' - my sister was playing it on repeat in her room. i liked it but it didnt make a huge impression on me. i was however, encouraged enuf to buy 'still life' and i found that i preferred the older stuff. now i love them and they are one of my fave bands!:D

what about every one else????

One of my older brothers friends had his Blackwater Park cd here and i had a listen and was quite impressed after hearing the first riff in The Leper Affinity xcept the first time i heard the death vocals it didn't grab me all that much and i didnt' even like them that much but after he left and took the cd i still had leper affinity in my head so i downloaded and after a few proper listens i got use to the vocals and loved the band from then on. I only own Blackwater Park and Still life at the moment but will own the others soon.

when i fist met my b/f we were talking about music and how he had discovered this really weird band called Opeth and he had Morningrise... I had listened to black metal style stuff before, but wasnt crazy about it. he told me that opeth arent what you might call a typical band... and he was right.. I borrowed Morningrise off him and instantly fell in love with it... their music is so atmospheric.. its just beautiful...

A friend of mine gave me a copy of "My arms your hearse" a couple of years ago! I liked it from the very beginning!!! But at the time I bought a LOT of cd´s so I forgot to keep on listening to Opeth. A year ago I found the copy of MAYH again and were astonished AGAIN! I bought "Blackwater park" and just fell in love whith it! So ever since I am buying their albums when ever I can find them!!

About 4 years ago a close friend of mine played "To Bid You Farewell" for me. From that moment I fell in love with Opeth. That same friend gave me the cd "Morningrise". From there Ive bought their other albums and recieved both "MAYR" & "Morningrise" albums with the bonus tracks. They are above any other band I listen to now!!

radio (Godheads Lament) -> internet (To Bid You Farewell, Amen Corner) -> CD (Still Life -> Morningrise -> etc)

the end.

Few years ago listened to Blackened vol.2
Song was Nectar and I fell for it right away...there really was a band that has everything for me!!! After that I bought Morningrise and Orchid. MAYH wasn't out yet... u can guess the rest.

"Nectar" was on Century Media's Firestarter compilation around the time Morningrise was released... I instantly became obsessed with the song and, in haste, went on a quest to buy Morningrise...

is it me or are very many people falling in love with opeth..?
BACK OFF BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEY'RE MIIIIINE muahahahahhah

CM's Identity Five..... "When". bought MYAH, then imported Still Life, then bought Orchid and Morningrise from CM, then imported the reissues, then bought Blackwater Park.

mmmmm. Opeth.... is there anything they can't do?

Well I was just searching around on Amazon.com and I had heard great things about Opeth so I checked out some of the sampls and I loved them until... he growled. I was so pissed that such great music was being ruined by suchawful vocals. Finaly one day I decided I'd give them a chance, so I downloaded "The Moor" and I loved it. I decided to get Still Life even though I was reluctent cuz of the vox. After a while I started to not only like the death vocals but love them! I now have all they're albums except the first, but I'll get that one soon.

I actually first read about Opeth back in the mid-90s, circa-Orchid CD. I wasn't into the underground stuff back then although I was into death metal. The reviews I read weren't appealing as it described Opeth as having long-ish songs. Several years later, the buzz grew for Opeth as I read interviews and rave reviews of them. I finally heard them when I got a copy of Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse. I wasn't instantly blown away. I was reading the Harry Potter books at the time(this was way before that awful movie came out) and Opeth was my background music while I was reading. Soon Opeth wasn't just background music but I began listening to them intently. I got Blackwater Park and I just got Orchid recently. The only CD I haven't heard is Still Life. I consider myself a fan of Opeth. My fave CD is definitely Morningrise. "To Bid You Farewell" just kills me!

While browsing Amazon.com for the "people who bought this cd also bought _____ cd", I think I was really into In Flames, Nevermore, and Samael at the time. When I found something that sounded interesting, I downloaded it from Napster, and if I liked it, I eventually bought it. Well I eventually found my way to Opeth, and I think it was love at first sight (I loved the MAYH cover before I even heard the music.) Well to make a longer story short, I downloaded, then eventually bought (that's right Napster bashers,BOUGHT), all their cds, bought a couple shirts, and seen them live. Opeth also led me to the mighty Emperor, Mykskog, Ulver, ect (but thats a different thread).

Being a new fan, I heard Dirge being played by some guy at a party. He was from the UK, and at first he seemed loud-mouthed going on and on about them. I then asked him to play more songs and instantaneously I was hooked. Like nothing I've ever heard. The talent was gripping. So I bought BWP....and downloaded whatever I could get my hands on. Hence, I am a huge fan and loving it.