Huge DVD update from blabbermouth

Lora @ MFN said:
As the DVD is an MFN release, they had to play songs that we have the right to release. Aside from that, the show was supposed to mostly for Deliverance and Damnation anyway. The DVD edit is going well (looks fantastic) and Andy Sneap is finishing off the mix now. We're still going for a late November release date. :)

They had to because MFN were too cheap to licence older tracks?

Tranquillian said:
They had to because MFN were too cheap to licence older tracks?

Perhaps someone can clear it up a bit better for all of us, but as far as I know, MFN has the rights to Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. Candlelight has the rights to Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse. Still Life I believe is Peaceville. I think the main stipulation is that Music For Nations is the party releasing the album, and thus, the one collecting the profits. If songs from My Arms, Your Hearse were played and recorded, and of course sold, the profits would still go to MFN, and not Candlelight.

The [two] labels probably could have contacted one another, agreed upon fees and royalties, but I just don't think that Candlelight would've been able to go along with it. My guess is that with the cost of producing the DVD, MFN would expect Candlelight to invest in the project, rather than just passively sit back and collect licensing fees. It's likely that MFN never considered a dialogue with Candlelight for this very reason.

Sadly, Opeth couldn't afford to finance all of the processes involved in making and distributing a DVD, so they were left with little choice but to rely on one of their labels, and play by their rules. While I'd love to see them perform all songs on all albums in a 18 DVD set, with 46 hours of bonus behind the scenes footage, I'll accept what is being produced currently.

Frost-Shatraug said:
Perhaps someone can clear it up a bit better for all of us, but as far as I know, MFN has the rights to Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. Candlelight has the rights to Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse. Still Life I believe is Peaceville. I think the main stipulation is that Music For Nations is the party releasing the album, and thus, the one collecting the profits. If songs from My Arms, Your Hearse were played and recorded, and of course sold, the profits would still go to MFN, and not Candlelight.

The [two] labels probably could have contacted one another, agreed upon fees and royalties, but I just don't think that Candlelight would've been able to go along with it. My guess is that with the cost of producing the DVD, MFN would expect Candlelight to invest in the project, rather than just passively sit back and collect licensing fees. It's likely that MFN never considered a dialogue with Candlelight for this very reason.

Sadly, Opeth couldn't afford to finance all of the processes involved in making and distributing a DVD, so they were left with little choice but to rely on one of their labels, and play by their rules. While I'd love to see them perform all songs on all albums in a 18 DVD set, with 46 hours of bonus behind the scenes footage, I'll accept what is being produced currently.
Yeah I agree with you, i prefer a 18 tracks on the DVD with songs from all the album, but we need to take what the band can give for us....

Rights issues aside (it really isn't a simple issue), an incredible amount of effort has gone into the production of the DVD to make sure that Opeth supporters get the quality they expect from the band. There's over an hour of documentary footage and approx. two hours of live show from the gig - concert done in stereo, 5.1 and DTS for the DVD. The gig was shot on High Definition with a 6 camera shoot, loads of lighting, etc. Pure quality that has had a lot of care and attention put into it. We might be the band's label, but we're also huge fans of the band and have nothing but respect for them as people. The goal was to help them make a DVD that we could all be proud of. You won't be disappointed. :)

Yeah, but the setlist is not good.
Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Ending Credits
Harvest
Weakness

Intermission

Master's Apprentices
The Drapery Falls
Deliverance
Leper Affinity
A Fair Judgment

The three latest albums are easily their worst ones, why couldn't you agree on these rights issues?
Tons of other bands have changed lablels during their carreers and they still have released live DVDs/CDs with materials from their whole career.