I bought Deliverance tonight...

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
and when I walked into a huge high-traffic brand-name record store in Toronto the song Deliverance was playing in the store, and it was loud too, Mike was just screaming his fucking guts out while the shoppers went about looking for their purchases.

I think it goes to show that Opeth are truly dipping into uncharted terrority and becoming bigger and bigger with a more wide spread and diverse potential audience.

It always amazes me how such different sorts of people with different tastes can enjoy (or at least appreciate) Opeth. It's like they have something to offer to just about anyone. That's a pretty amazing feat. I'm not aware of any other extreme metal groups that get this much attention outside of their own genre. I think that says a lot. I also think that it means that Opeth will be around for a very long time because there are enough of us fanatics to support and inspire them to keep on doing what they do best.

I also don't think Opeth will ever "sell out", the music bleeds from their hearts and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

Satori

actually, it's over-charted territory. but thats a minor detail. and it's great that they're seeing more popularity. just goes to show that you don't have to sell out to become popular. it's a rare example of a band being recognized for pure talent. but I doubt you'll ever see them on empty-v...

That's bloody scary. I can't imagine being in a record store with stuff like that playing. It doesn't seem record-store-ish. They're always playing soft-rock, or something relaxing. Maybe one of the employies is a big Opeth fan or some such.

You know, that reminds me. When I got Morningrise, the guy gave me 2 bucks off cuz he said he had never found an other person that likes Opeth =P

Originally posted by Schraiber
That's bloody scary. I can't imagine being in a record store with stuff like that playing. It doesn't seem record-store-ish. They're always playing soft-rock, or something relaxing. Maybe one of the employies is a big Opeth fan or some such.

In one of the record stores in the mall I go to (an FYE), there's usually some blaring rap echoing through the store. I've never gone in there with something relaxing ever playing.

Where I live, not only do the record stores not play good music, but they hardly ever sell any, unless it happens to pop up in the 'used cd' bin. I have to special order any Opeth other than BWP, and when I asked about Devin Townsend and SYL, 3 different record stores swore I was making it up

The Wherehouse near me was playing PT once, but strangely they had none in stock. The mall stores are usually playing terrible loud rap or dance type stuff, but normal music stores tend to play things that I at least don't hate. Never heard anything deathish though. If I went in and heard Opeth playing, I'd probably pass out.

It was quite surprising for me to have heard that blaring so loudly. I was also suprised that no one in the store seemed to flinch or notice. It was on the second floor of the store (a HMV store) where they keep the rock, pop, "alternative" and that sort of stuff. And oh yea, the metal section is up there too, but it's much smaller than the other sections of course.

I think Opeth are pretty big here for a relatively underground band, if the fanatic behaviour of a few hundred Opeth concert goers is any indication.

Satori