I don't get it...

I couldn't agree more. I can NOT stand the Grateful Dead, not one effin' song. So many have tried, and so many have failed to make me a fan. :puke:

As much as I hated the GD, the concerts were fun if that makes any sense. I couldn't have told you the name of one song the whole time though.

Circus Maximus, I feel I'm supposed to like them because so many that like many of the bands I do like them, but I don't... I really really don't. I find the singer too poppy, no balls, I think of American Idol when I hear him, and the music is pointlessly meandering and overly self indulgent.

I couldn't agree more. I can NOT stand the Grateful Dead, not one effin' song. So many have tried, and so many have failed to make me a fan. :puke:

Musically there is every element I like but something doesn't sit well with me. It might be that dirty hippie thing. I had the same problem with Quicksilver Messenger Service. But maybe now that I'm older and more matured in my musical knowledge and tastes oppose to what I was at 15 I might give it another go. Back then it was all about The Subhumans and The Exploited so the Dead certainly had no place in m,y world.
And yes I have done drugs while listening to the Dead, I did know some hippies that at times we would end up at the same places sharing the same bongs, etc.
Passing thought; I have known a lot of Dead Heads who where into Rush and Queensryche, very curious.

Rhapsody of Fire. I saw them live when I went to see Voyager and A Sound of Thunder back in May in Baltimore.

I love Voyager. I really like A Sound of Thunder.

But Rhapsody of Fire....I wanted to like them. Very talented guys. But I just could not get past the lyrics and Fabio's voice. Just didn't work for me.

Slayer would be the big one for me. I just don't see the appeal. And to a lesser degree, Orphaned Land. I like Orphaned Land, own a few of their CDs, have seen them live a couple of times... but I feel like everyone I know worships this band, while I merely see them as solid. However, unlike Slayer, it's clear to me why people would worship Orphaned Land.

Yeah, it sucks D: It's a funk I can't break out of. :(

The Grateful Dead requires a lot of drugs. I think.
I dunno, my mom likes the Grateful Dead, so I have a soft spot for them. If I didn't, I wouldn't like them very much.
But Jerry, man.

Devin Townsend – I realize that this guy is insanely talented and creative, and that his music is probably what progressive music is all about, but I’ve tried several of his various projects and none of them have clicked with me. I always feel like I’ve missed the point somehow, or that I’m just not smart enough to get what I’m hearing, and I hate that feeling.

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear someone else say that, :lol:. That is exactly what has run through my mind.
"I'm just not digging this all that much. Am I stupid or something?" :confused:
Little pieces and riffs will start to excite me, then I just get lost and disinterested. Dunno why.

Maybe it's just because I haven't been force-exposed enough, but Pain of Salvation. I heard a long time ago (and I don't even know if this is true or not) that Daniel Gildenow said some shit about 9/11 a long time ago and that pissed me off immensely and permanently affected my view of him and his music. I have a few albums on my iTunes, but I don't listen to them often. The albums that everyone says I should listen to I don't have.

There were a couple of PoS songs that I kind of got in to at first - the more upbeat, fast tempo, succinct ones. But I have to admit, after reading some of the notes on the CD's, the lyrics and, more importantly, Daniel's comments, I got turned off. I hate being preached to, and he comes across to me as being arrogant and oh so righteous and it gets on my nerves. Can't get past it to enjoy the music, which is often very inspired, but I hate when it wanders off and never comes home.

As for the others, all of these bands I like specific songs but not the whole package. Not sure why. Iced Earth, Helloween, Savatage, Redemption, Dream Theater. I feel like I should love them, but I find myself skipping to specific songs. Also have loved a lot of Therion's music, but the last release did nothing for me.

There are quite a few on my list. I'm with Zod on Slayer. I just don't get it. I've tried and always felt like my metal card would be revoked for not liking them. I'm sure I'll get fried for this, but I just can't get into ANY death or black or grind or whatever-you-want-to-call-it metal. I like melody, harmony, and operatic vocals in my metal. To each his or her own I guess.

White Zombie comes to mind for me.Love Rob's solo stuff,but about the only song I listen to and actually like from WZ is "More Human Than Human".
Power Metal is my first love,but there are bands that I just don't listen to even though there isn't a real reason not to.
Maybe it's because I just don't have enough time in my day to keep finding new bands to "get into".It's to the point where finding 5 minutes for some "me" time is hard enough.Guess I'm getting too old and lazy:(

SLAYER Reign In Blood is one of the best extreme metal albums ever released. hahaha. Sorry you guys are missing out. 28 minutes of unbridled fury.

But yes, up until the new album i couldn't get into REDEMPTION. I rarely enjoy any new power metal bands these days unless said band reminds me of an older band i love like Sound Storm did.

Cool thread. I'm a bit surprised by the repeats offenders in these categories.

A couple that stand out for me are Savage Circus and Persuader. They have all the right elements, but don't "get" it.

Iced Earth is another one. I can't figure out why they have the legacy they have. Everything seems average to my ears.

On the melodic rock side of things Jaded Heart comes to mind. For some reason I have a lot of their stuff and never reach for it. Even reach for it and then put it back from time to time. I realize they are supposed to be one of the leaders in the genre, but can't figure it out.

SLAYER Reign In Blood is one of the best extreme metal albums ever released. hahaha. Sorry you guys are missing out. 28 minutes of unbridled fury.
So everyone tells me. And it's funny... despite the fact that I genuinely feel that Slayer is just awful, I do truly feel like I'm missing out on something. That said, I've met a fair number of Metal fans over the years, like myself and actordude, who are willing to step forward and (in hushed tones) confess to this. I feel as though we should have our own support group. :loco:

So everyone tells me. And it's funny... despite the fact that I genuinely feel that Slayer sucks ass, I do truly feel like I'm missing out on something. That said, I've met a fair number of Metal fans over the years, like myself and actordude, who are willing to step forward and (in hushed tones) confess to this. I feel as though we should have our own support group. :loco:

I'll come out and say Slayer is my least favorite band in the world.