I don't get it...

I'm sure I'll get fried for this, but I just can't get into ANY death or black or grind or whatever-you-want-to-call-it metal. I like melody, harmony, and operatic vocals in my metal. To each his or her own I guess.

Same. There are only a few albums with death-metal vocals that I can listen to, and three of them are on the bill this year. I love all of Consign to Oblivion, but can't really get into the growling parts of the rest of Epica's Catalog. Serenity's Fallen Sanctuary is the only album I can this of that I would describe as using growling vocals "just the right amount." And I enjoy quite a bit of Amaranthe and am really looking forward to their set, but their album hasn't ever made it into heavy rotation.

I never could get into Pantera (beyond Cemetery Gates). And no matter how much I've tried over the years most of Black Sabbath's catalog, especially the early stuff with Ozzy, is just lost on me. I know they were pioneers and generations of musicians were heavily influenced by them, but they do nothing for me.

Agreed on the Circus Maximus. For me they are probably the most overrated of the Prog Power bands. Their debut was good ... Steep decline since. Their new one is pretty much AOR stuff. Just not my thing these days, I guess.

Britt

So everyone tells me. And it's funny... despite the fact that I genuinely feel that Slayer is just awful, I do truly feel like I'm missing out on something. That said, I've met a fair number of Metal fans over the years, like myself and actordude, who are willing to step forward and (in hushed tones) confess to this. I feel as though we should have our own support group. :loco:

*raises hand*
I like a total of 2 Slayer songs,Angel of Death(and only the middle breakdown riff) and American

IMO every song sounds the same,and the solos sound like little children plugging in an electric guitar for the first time

*raises hand*
I like a total of 2 Slayer songs,Angel of Death(and only the middle breakdown riff) and American

IMO every song sounds the same,and the solos sound like little children plugging in an electric guitar for the first time
You haven't listened to much Slayer then...Songs like Dead Skin Mask, Seasons In The Abyss, Raining Blood, 213, etc don;t sound like their usual Slayer songs

not enough talent??? they may have the best drummer in the world in their band...:eek:
On that you are totally correct. But for me it didn't cover the vocal, structure and melody deficiencies. But I will give up that it's a personal preference.

LOL. Yeah... because listening to Slayer defines you as a man of danger. You would only be more badass if you moved to a small town and challenged the local reverend regarding their no dancing statutes. :loco:

I'm sure you have a point, just as I'm sure there was no rebel in the kids who decided on the black man's music that a white man was crowned king for over Pat Boone.
Think you missed something and maybe I can't or it can't be explained. Then again some would not understand anyway. Rock n roll is about rebellion and metal only steps it up.
I will not argue Slayer's musical ability, god knows they lack a lot in that department; however that is not what makes Slayer a great band. Black Sabbath were not and are not the most incredible band technically but it cannot be denied that too challenged the status quo.
In college I took an art appreciation course and was always challenging the idea of what made a piece of art a great work of art. A painting of landscape or a picture of stacked blocks casting off shadows was merely just that; then the teacher said it is not the ability of the art or even the piece alone that makes it great, it is everything surrounding it like environment, technique, timing, the thought that goes into it, and the thought the work inspires. All this is what makes Slayer great. It may not musically appeal to some, but to dispute their impact and greatest is simply idiocy.

Think you missed something and maybe I can't or it can't be explained. Then again some would not understand anyway. Rock n roll is about rebellion and metal only steps it up.
I cannot know with absolute certainty the point you're making, as obviously, I'm not in your head. But I do think I understand what you're getting at.

I will not argue Slayer's musical ability, god knows they lack a lot in that department; however that is not what makes Slayer a great band. Black Sabbath were not and are not the most incredible band technically but it cannot be denied that too challenged the status quo.
As I noted in a previous post, I appreciate Slayer's position in Metal history. And I can appreciate that something can be art, without be aesthetically pleasing in an obvious way. However, creating rebellious music and creating quality music aren't one and the same. Similarly, creating something that may be labeled as art, doesn't necessarily ake it quality art. Finally, listening to "rebellious" music and being rebellious aren't inextricably linked.

not enough talent??? they may have the best drummer in the world in their band...:eek:

A GREAT drummer, but not best in the world. Not sure if you have seen the Drummer mag video where Lombardo is on stage with just hit kit doing a solo, etc. Pretty weak in my book. BUT you put him up there with a band laying down some lightning quick riffs there is no one better. Th dude is a beast and to watch him do it for 90-120 straight is what is most impressive. He set the benchmark pretty high for metal drummers in the 1980's and there are few that match him.

I guess some people just missed the Slayer thing, often tends to be the same guys who stay in a "safe" area of the metal realms; not to much aggression, no questioning authority, never stepping out of their comfort zone,and not too much rock with their roll.

That's bullshit...most Slayer fans would probably piss their pants if mommy took their gaming systems away from them.

~Brian~

That's bullshit...most Slayer fans would probably piss their pants if mommy took their gaming systems away from them.

~Brian~

Sorry dude, I am probably OLDER than you and DON'T live with Mommy and haven't since I was 17 nor do I play a lot of video games except with my sons but have been listening to Slayer since they first appeared on a Metal Massacre comp album....there goes that argument!!! :fu:

What an unexpectedly relieving thread this is. I can't stand Slayer, but I normally don't say anything because they're so revered. I don't get Anthrax either. Or Metallica post-MoP. If I want thrashy bits I take old Megadeth over any of that stuff. I am, it should be noted, not a very big thrash fan, though.

I also don't get Epica. I love Simone...in other things. But whenever it's her in Epica it's just...I dunno. Very flat for me.

I'm very glad to see I'm not alone in the Fates thing, though. That makes me feel much better.

I too dislike Slayer and Anthrax, but I am not a big fan of the genre anyway, so I don't think it fits the criteria of the thread.

Orphaned land is a band I probably don't get. I like a few of their songs, but I am not in love with the band...

Opeth is another one. I think they are good, I even own a few of their records, I've seen them live a bunch of times... But, considering my taste in music, they should be one of my favorites... and they are far from that.

Sorry dude, I am probably OLDER than you and DON'T live with Mommy and haven't since I was 17 nor do I play a lot of video games except with my sons but have been listening to Slayer since they first appeared on a Metal Massacre comp album....there goes that argument!!!
Well... he did say "most Slayer fans". :loco:

I think the idea that a group of people can be stereotyped as having one characteristic or lacking in another, just because they listen to a given band, is baseless. Unless of course we're talking about Avenged Sevenfold fans... then I think we can agree that they're all whiny, Hot Topic-loving, posers. :D

Can't say I'm familiar with any of it.

I was never big into Thrash, when Thrash was at its heights. I really wasn't exposed to it, and didn't seek it out. However, I was exposed to Slayer, at the same time as I was into Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Anthrax, etc. I found the vocals awful, the guitar playing boring and weak, and the lyrics silly. So, it's really not so much that they're bad at what they do. Clearly, they have a very special place in Metal. However, as the thread title suggests, I just don't get it.

Yeah, that's always a good thing to know when someone states they dislike a band...do they even like similar bands or even an entire genre of music? And if they don't, isn't their dislike of that one particular band...sorta cheap? I think so.

Just my opinion.