I fucken resent this...

Wolff

New Metal Member
May 9, 2001
I recently found a couple of re-writable CD's my friend Bacchus had send me. The first had Anathema & My Dying Bride... everyfuckingthing they did. The second had Dark Tranquillity, In Flames and Opeth.

Except Opeth and My Dying Bride, I can't fucking recognize any of the other bands... or at least the direction they took after 3-4 albums...

I hate it when younger fans who don't have the patience to fully appreciate the early shit, purely dismiss it as crap... The essence of the band is the early shit: comes always from the heart and it's genuine...

I hate even more when these fans become a majority and take over the fanbase... then I love having fucken 15 year olds tell me how sophisticated or open-minded a certain piece of music is...

I fucken resent it when the band then yields to these fans, and writes crap to sell CD's. I have seen it too many fucken times happen.

Some call it evolution, I call it shitolution.

In Flames' new stuff is terrible. Colony and Clayman are really really bad albums.

Nevermore's DHIADW is really bad as well, long gone are the days of 'politics of ecstasy' :bah:

Metallica... well, what is there to say?

Megadeth... what isn't there to say?

Sepultura... Terrible waste of good musicians.

Gorefest. What happened to this once great band? What happened to 'false' and 'erase'??? If anyone heard the cd they released before they broke up, then you will know what i mean. It was fucking terrible, it was radio-rock. FROM GOREFEST OF ALL PEOPLE!!!

Iced Earth's Horror show is really really really bad too.

Soilwork's 'A predator's portrait' is really bad too, they have done the same thing as in flames. A pile of boring songs that consist of 'Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Solo, Chorus, Outtro'. And what is with the over-use fo the clean vox?? It was cool to hear in 'structure divine' for the first time, but it gets old in all the other songs.

I for one am totally sick of hearing about bands and 'progression' (no, not the musical genre :p ). People are often saying 'oh, that band hasn't progressed, they sound as they did 5 years ago', or something along the lines of 'this new album is a great progression from their previous work etc....'. I say fuck that, if I like a band, it's because they play good stuff, I don't want them changing, I just want more cool music.

Originally posted by Bacchus
I hear and feel your pain.

What can I say? They (will always) die...

How prophetic.

Yeah. They are still great, but I really miss the old stuff, noone has ever sounded like them.

One thing that has pissed me off recently- reviews for MDB's new album. Every review tends to mention 'this track is classic MDB- up to you if you skip it...' or 'they may be repeating themselves'.
AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
It's My Dying Bride!!! It's supposed to sound like My Dying Bride!! They've done enough weird stuff over the years to keep the arty wankers happy, leave them alone if they want to doom out for a couple albums!!!

And what the hell happened to Amsvartner??!! 'The Trollish Mirror' may have a crap name, but it kills. Then they put out 'Dreams'..........:mad:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I for one am totally sick of hearing about bands and 'progression' (no, not the musical genre :p ). People are often saying 'oh, that band hasn't progressed, they sound as they did 5 years ago', or something along the lines of 'this new album is a great progression from their previous work etc....'. I say fuck that, if I like a band, it's because they play good stuff, I don't want them changing, I just want more cool music.

you have to remeber that peple change I mean when a band first start out it like when you where a kid and you used to watch sesame street or barney for example and you don't watch that anymore do you?? if so you have some serious prblems that i'm not going to get into. but as a band you have to improve (that and sometimes you run out of ideas and the fuckin record lable has a dead line of your next album in 2 week and you haven't finished your songs) and just cause what they listen to as an improvement doesn't mean that eveyone will agree with them. I mean you don't like all the same music as your b/f do you? I mean you like some bands better than him/her or visa versa or you like a band and he/she doen't like them at all. besides would you want your favorite group just keep making remixes of there older stuff?
no! than you wouldn't hear anything new ohh well I've already talked too much

OPTH... does this mean that you think that metallica's progression from '...And justice for all' to re-load was a good thing?

please enlighten me why 'Risk' was such a better album than 'Rust in peace'...?

Originally posted by Trapped
OPTH... does this mean that you think that metallica's progression from '...And justice for all' to re-load was a good thing?

please enlighten me why 'Risk' was such a better album than 'Rust in peace'...?

no what i'm saying is that maybe the musician find it more there style at that time just cause it's not your style doesn't mean that everyone hates it. I mean peple change with there experience and this will always happen. just because on group of peple don't like that particular album or song doens't mean that another group of people won't say "hey man I really dig that album it really touched my inner soul" do you know what I mean?

well, most bands do change.. and there is nothing we can do abaout it.. some bands has gone trough changes to the bether but most bands has not :(

I get what you mean. Sorry, i didn't understand what you were saying before.

I know that times change, and people change, but does it not seem just a little 'odd' that things never progress for the better?

Originally posted by Trapped
I get what you mean. Sorry, i didn't understand what you were saying before.

I know that times change, and people change, but does it not seem just a little 'odd' that things never progress for the better?

I wish it would I think it is because we expect them to alway be better than the last one even though it eventually has to have a down fall like metallica "metal up you ass" a.k.a kill em all wasn't as good as ride the lighnig (imo) and master of puppets is better than the last (imo) ...and justice for all better than ride... but not as good as puppets (imo) and the black album was the last decent albume that they ever made (not as good as ...and justice, imo)

About Anathema...

I saw a used cd by them at CD Warehouse, I can't recall the title, but it was made in 1997. What do they sound like and does anyone recommend them?

Wouldn't staying the same be yielding to the fans in some cases as well?

Anyway, change is needed from the bands side to keep the music fresh. I, personally, would be bored to death writing song after song in the same style and as result produce utter trash. In many cases, changing the style of the band helps rekindle the emotion of the "early days." I mean, even Darkthrone, the most monotonous band in the world have "developed" somewhat on their later albums.

It's vital that through this change the band stays true to themselves, though. If not, you get *shrug* Metallica. Bands like Ulver, for example, have developed really positively.

I have no respect for any band that releases the same thing over and over again for more than a few albums. Its shows IMO they are unoriginal, and (in my mind) not real musicians as they are not able to expand or mature

If the banmds changes to become more popular make more money, ok I have a problem. Its sad yeah but I can just stop listening to them so....

So I fully support and think evolutio0n (or as Wolff put it shitolution) even if its in a direction I don't like. As long as they aren't doing it to make money, if they think its a logical musical progression I support them as they are the musicians, they write it and they have the right to do what they like...

what about bands like Ulver and Dodheimsgard...both progressed from being average black metal to doing something really cool...if a band goes from doing one style of music to another it usualy just means that the musicians involved do feel that they cant express themselves properly anymore with what they were doing...ppl change and so should the music they write...if a band changes in a direction you don't like, it doesn't mean they've become shit, it just means that its not to your taste...musicians make music for themselves, not for you, if you don't like it, well fuck off...you'd just end up with every band being like darkthrone...making more or less the same album every other year

ok trapped = ???wtf

im sorrry... i agree with most of this thread... but predator's portrait is awesome... what are you talking about with an "over use of clean vocals" What the fuck are you talking about?? you cant over use clean vocals.... thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. and they use fucking verse / chorus / verse / blah blah song structure on their other 2 cds anyway.... dude... its one thing if you just dont like something, but dont say things that make absolutely no sense.

please i invite you to prove your point logically about how soilwork fits in this group of bands that change for the worse... apparently they are doing so bad that devin townsend is producing their fucking new cd

Wouldn't staying the same be yielding to the fans in some cases as well?

Yeah. I think so. But only if they didn’t have anything else to offer...and in that case, I don’t see it lasting. I’m sure I’m forgetting someone. Who’s stayed the same, as far as style, and has lasted year after year. Most I know, just got worse (imo) and worse and I’m sure for someone else out there they got better and better. Who knows.

I hate it when a band stays the same and I hate it when a band changes. I hate it when they appeal to a certain crowd and I hate it when they don’t! Wait a minute...

What was the question?

Oh, there was something about younger fans not appreciating the older works. I think if the "kid" is truly into the music and it's not just "the high" they get from being looked upon as a fan (how cool he must be!) then I think they’ll figure that one out all on their own. Seriously. If they don’t want to...then don’t get mad (like that ever works, huh!) just go with your inner peace knowing and feeling the way you do about first releases and all that. Try not to get worked up in all the nonsense of people who aren’t really passionate about music the way you are.

I know...I know. Easier said than done.