I hate grunge.

Badmotorfinger is great, but no higher a high than WASP's S/T.
I absolutely love WASP. I grew up on 'em.
I have it all.

The Headless Children and the S/T debut album are MUST haves. The Last Command and Inside The Electric Circus are good but not as good. Love most of the band's catalogue, except 1999's Helldorado. Very underrated band imo, Blackie's voice is one of the best, check out Keep Holding On from Still Not Black Enough (1995). Their cover of Somebody To Love is pretty amazing as well.
I even like Easy Living, even though I know most don't. Blackie's bridge vocals take your breath away!

I have no idea, grunge seems to mostly be defined by the location of the band, and a secondary descriptor seems to be a certain kind of vocal style and a general alternative rock vibe.

If hair is what makes a band hair metal, hundreds of bands could be in that genre.

A-255363-1463903340-8951.jpeg.jpg

Grunge was nothing more than a corporate music and fashion industry term used to create another subculture ripe for marketing purposes. It wasn't until Nirvana hit big time that the term got picked up by commercial entities and was thrown at bands outside of Seattle like Stone Temple Pilots and Smashing Pumpkins to cash in on their alt-rock sound, and it just expanded from there into fashion, cultural attitude, and language. There was nothing Metal about what they called grunge. It was directed exactly the opposite way of Metal. If anything, "Hair Metal' breathed new life into metal. Disco and new wave were massive at the time(early 80s) and then a lot of glam metal bands started breaking out into the mainstream and reintroducing metal to a whole new generation. "Hair" metal also gave us bands like Alice in Chains and Pantera. If it wasn't for "hair" metal band W.A.S.P. influence, you wouldn't have black metal as we know it today. A lot of people got into metal via the power ballads of the glam/hair metal bands. "Hair" metal is one of, if not the, most glorious periods of metal both musically and visually. The makeup and feminine clothes were cool at the time because they were shocking; they are still cool today if you look at them from that point of view. The songs were great - party anthems and heartbreaking love ballads. It was great, and the only time Metal was truly mainstream. Judas Priest also has an over the top look and I don't see metalheads whining about that. Thrash Metal bands have their denim jackets full of patches. Black Metal bands have their war paint. I find it stupid to pick on glam metal bands just because they went for the make up and colorful clothes. "Hair" metal actually got lots of people interested in Metal back in the day. "Hair" metal was a party and everyone was invited. Songs were shallow, never getting deeper than basic juvenile emotions other than wanting fun, living in the present, falling in love or the pain of being alone. The guitars were beautiful and designed to allow you to play the majestic notes in your head, and the big players of the day were all heroes. If those bands never put on makeup or spandex where would metal be? I think that is the bigger question. Not if it ruined it but if it would have survived at all. And if so where would it be without the decadent era. Glam is just an offshoot of punk I think. Same attitude different uniform.

You're 100% correct there, "Grunge" was indeed a term created to lump a bunch of bands together that sounded remotely similar, used essentially for marketing purposes. I think you'll find that the media/labels are always keen to create catchy like term's, such as "Grunge" or "Glam" to help market such music.

Moreover, I agree that some grunge bands, like the one's you mentioned, we're deeply inspired by Hair metal and the grunge/alt movement of the late 80's/early 90's owes a lot to the bands that paved the way for them. Personally, I'm not picking on Glam bands, after all you'll find that the musicians have more technical ability that 99% of the grunge bands from back in the day. I just find songs regarded to be either party anthems & love ballads to be the types of songs I don't enjoy & I grow tired of hearing very quickly. The reason why I prefer Grunge over Glam is that Grunge was more of an emotionally-driven style of music, used to convey some of the darker traits of humanity, whereas Glam was more simple than that, Glam songs I've found were written so they could be easily interpreted. Things such as the choruses & lead breaks were presented in a way where they would be unmistakeable.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it just isn't my personal preference when it comes to music. Sure, there may very well be technicality to enjoy with Glam bands, but overall I just don't like music that is easy to digest, and created primarily to garner radio play. I also understand people's tastes differ, and that's why I enjoy discussing it on forums such as these. It's all good!

Also, when it comes to Judas Priest, I actually like the band's 70's output better than anything else. The more "metal" they became from British Steel onwards, the less I found that I could enjoy with their music.

You're 100% correct there, "Grunge" was indeed a term created to lump a bunch of bands together that sounded remotely similar, used essentially for marketing purposes. I think you'll find that the media/labels are always keen to create catchy like term's, such as "Grunge" or "Glam" to help market such music.

Isn't this the case with many musical genre tags? It's not like metal bands created the term in some kind of organic attempt to separate themselves from rock.

Reactions: jimmy101
Isn't this the case with many musical genre tags? It's not like metal bands created the term in some kind of organic attempt to separate themselves from rock.

Precisely. Very rarely will you see bands actually use the tag that they've been labelled with. For example, Korn never called themselves Nu Metal, Jonathan Davis always regarded them as a "funk" band. None of the grunge bands actually identified as "grunge" (apart from the one's who came on to the scene later). Even Black Sabbath avoided calling themselves "metal", even though the media attached that label to them.

PS: I don't listen to Korn, just using them as an example.

Spot on. Even Judas Priest only started calling themselves metal heading into the 80's.