I hate grunge.

In the broadest possible sense there are two "schools" of heavy metal pre-1980s (kind of like how there are two schools of jazz tenor playing, you're either a Hawkins disciple or a Lester Young disciple).

Theres the European school: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Budgie, Rainbow, Judas Priest, etc.
There's the US school: Van Halen, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Alice Cooper, etc.

In the 80s the stuff generally considered to be "heavy metal" was bands influenced by the European school and the slightly later NWOBHM offshoot. This extended into newer genres like thrash, doom, power metal (the 80s definition of the term, not the modern definition of the term), etc. Thrash then later begat further offshoots like death metal.

The "hair metal" stuff was generally bands influenced by the US school...and mostly Van Halen to be honest. The US school to me has always been right on that cusp of hard rock/heavy metal, generally being more focused on upbeat party rock and stuff that "chicks dig".

The influence of Led Zeppelin kind of falls somewhere in between the two schools as Plant's stage presence was a popular influential thing for hair metal vocalists to emulate...if you could mix Plant and Steven Tyler together you basically have every frontman for every commercial metal act during the entire decade.

This is of course an over-simplification, but I think it works from a cursory standpoint. If you read interviews with Motley Crue or Ratt during the 80s they always listed bands like Kiss and Aerosmith as primary influences. If you read interviews with bands like Metallica or Slayer they usually mentioned Sabbath, Deep Purple and all the NWOBHM bands. Anybody who thinks hair metal bands didn't care about the music is just ignorant. They cared no more or less than musicians in any other rock genre. Not saying it was all gold, but the implication that because of their appearance they didn't care about the songs is just asinine. Any thought that musicians in thrash or speed metal or just rock bands didn't care about the way they looked is also completely misguided. FWIW, as someone who grew up as a metal kid in the 80s/early 90s the genres weren't nearly as defined as they are now. We'd listen to Metallica or Iron Maiden or Megadeth and then something on the poppier end of the scale - Crue, Warrant, Slaughter, Cinderella, whatever. Yeah some people weren't into the extremes on either end (Firehouse or King Diamond, for example), but for the most part metal was metal and it was all rock.

New here, but had to chime in after having a similar discussion on Reddit.

First of all, this kind of seems like you’re giving too much credit to the British blues rock and proto-metal bands you label as metal. Stylistically, a lot of the bands you list aren’t different from the American bands you list - Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, etc.

Led Zeppelin is first and foremost blues rock. They’re as much “Metal” as Jimi Hendrix, Blue Öyster Cult, Blue Cheer, Sir Lord Baltimore, Coven, etc, are, and the same largely goes for Deep Purple, Budgie...

I’ve always said that there’s a kind of obnoxious strain of British musical chauvinism on the internet that rests on the refusal to offer an angle of comparison in the American scene - which is absurd when the American scene was simply more prolific and original in the genres it created. You can’t do that when the entire cannon of British contemporary music is derivative of American musical development.

There’s absolutely no reason you should be sitting here attributing Thrash metal to anything “European” when it was a genre largely codified in the US. Glam metal was glam metal. It was a different movement. The attempt at passing it off as somehow the only true “American metal movement” strikes me as a biased attempt to dismiss American musical prowess, which is especially rich, considering British/European heavy music and metal is derivative of American music entirely, going all the way back to Acid Rock and even earlier. So you don’t just get to cherry pick crappy bands and genres for America from late in the game to force a win for “Europe”.

Europe, the continent, saw its first robust metal scene come later than the US did, which was one of the only two founding locations of the genre. Look at any robust list of proto-metal bands. Surprise surprise, the vast majority of them will be American, but this is something forums choose to ignore because there’s too much anti-American cultural insecurity involved.

In the broadest possible sense there are two "schools" of heavy metal pre-1980s (kind of like how there are two schools of jazz tenor playing, you're either a Hawkins disciple or a Lester Young disciple).

Theres the European school: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Budgie, Rainbow, Judas Priest, etc.
There's the US school: Van Halen, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Alice Cooper, etc.

In the 80s the stuff generally considered to be "heavy metal" was bands influenced by the European school and the slightly later NWOBHM offshoot. This extended into newer genres like thrash, doom, power metal (the 80s definition of the term, not the modern definition of the term), etc. Thrash then later begat further offshoots like death metal.

The "hair metal" stuff was generally bands influenced by the US school...and mostly Van Halen to be honest. The US school to me has always been right on that cusp of hard rock/heavy metal, generally being more focused on upbeat party rock and stuff that "chicks dig".

The influence of Led Zeppelin kind of falls somewhere in between the two schools as Plant's stage presence was a popular influential thing for hair metal vocalists to emulate...if you could mix Plant and Steven Tyler together you basically have every frontman for every commercial metal act during the entire decade.

This is of course an over-simplification, but I think it works from a cursory standpoint. If you read interviews with Motley Crue or Ratt during the 80s they always listed bands like Kiss and Aerosmith as primary influences. If you read interviews with bands like Metallica or Slayer they usually mentioned Sabbath, Deep Purple and all the NWOBHM bands. Anybody who thinks hair metal bands didn't care about the music is just ignorant. They cared no more or less than musicians in any other rock genre. Not saying it was all gold, but the implication that because of their appearance they didn't care about the songs is just asinine. Any thought that musicians in thrash or speed metal or just rock bands didn't care about the way they looked is also completely misguided. FWIW, as someone who grew up as a metal kid in the 80s/early 90s the genres weren't nearly as defined as they are now. We'd listen to Metallica or Iron Maiden or Megadeth and then something on the poppier end of the scale - Crue, Warrant, Slaughter, Cinderella, whatever. Yeah some people weren't into the extremes on either end (Firehouse or King Diamond, for example), but for the most part metal was metal and it was all rock.

On top of this, what are the heavy rock and metal developments of the 1990s attributable to? America was into decisively more aggressive music than Britain and Europe was during the 1990s, but I notice there’s a lot of passive aggression, if not outright disdain, for the heavy metal and hard rock that was popular and hugely innovative that came from America in the 1990s - which any critic would realize went beyond what Europe offered, which was mostly electronic and pop. Or derivative, pop rock “Britpop”. None of what was popular and original in America at the time could be described as upbeat.

You’re also allowing other countries more room for complexity and diversity in sound while crudely confining one of the most diverse pop cultural countries in the world to a single style of music, a single genre from a single decade - because it flatters your anti-American musical opinions.

EDIT: Just realized this person is a Glam Metal stan...weird

I STILL hate grunge. I watched Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution- Grunge episode again last night, it had been several years, but it reminded me how much I can't stand Sound Garden, Nirvana, & Pearl Jam.

There's a User Review from 2012 on IMDB's Metal Evolution- Grunge page from user Fedor8 that should burn through the sands of time titled, "The childish need to be associated with punk" that everyone should read, and really deserves a post of it's own, which I may do in the future- IMDB Metal Evolution- Grunge

Kurt Cobain died a Pop Star and that makes me immensely happy, but I give biggest douche bag from Seattle award to Kim Thayil from Sound Garden, what a pretentious piece of garbage... Kim Thayil talking out his ass whining, "those bands sounded like The Partridge Family with fuzzy guitars", dude's definitely got an enormous inferiority complex.

I still hate Grunge.

Have you thought of seeking some kind of help for the things in life you struggle to get over?

Reactions: CiG
It could be a lack of touch that has generated this sickness that can't be cured.

Woohoo!! Permission to touch myself.
I'm so glad you came along when you did the temptation was getting too much!

Obviously hasn't worked for you, Kurt is still causing you stress. Maybe what you really needed was to touch Kurt.