I hate to say this, but the new Novembre...

I have now listened to about two songs for each album of Novembre and I think they are quite good...but not nearly as good and dark as Opeth. They seems to make more "happy" music and some songs are worse compared two others.

I liked the "Distances" from the lates album and it was quite good. The latest album seems to be much better than the earlier too. I found the earlier songs more "non-opeth like" which is bad ;)

I consider to buy their latest but I dont think I will go further...Its great music but Opeth is so much deeper...

I may add that I dont like Orchid and Morningrise as much as I like the later "deeper" and fuller stuff. I just hate the way the earlier albums were recorded...very thin sound and the drums sounds plastic and unreal sometimes, and it isnt Mr drummers fault either. Just badly recorded...

But thats just my opinion...many thinks that morningrise is their best but I think the opposite. Johan Derfalla seems to be in another world during the recording beacause his bass doesnt fit the music at all. Its to happy and light for Opeth.

Mikael is a much better growler than the Novembre guy...I had to add that :D

Originally posted by Sputnik
I may add that I dont like Orchid and Morningrise as much as I like the later "deeper" and fuller stuff. I just hate the way the earlier albums were recorded...very thin sound and the drums sounds plastic and unreal sometimes, and it isnt Mr drummers fault either. Just badly recorded...
But thats just my opinion...many thinks that morningrise is their best but I think the opposite. Johan Derfalla seems to be in another world during the recording beacause his bass doesnt fit the music at all. Its to happy and light for Opeth.

I think one of the reasons Morningrise hits for me more than any other album, is that is wasn't recorded like a METAL album.

And Johan's bass helps make the earlier stuff better for me. The lack of that active bass is like a hole in Opeth that they don't seem to want to patch. :( (That said, Blackwater Park is my second favorite Opeth album...)

i downloaded some movembre, and i have to say its good, as in i'm gonna buy some, but its not better than opeth. its ALMOST as good, but not better. it definitely has a lot of similarities though. opeth's songs are longer and more dramatic and the acoustics on opeth are unmatchable. plus mikael is a much better growler.

Get off the crack pipe man! Orchid and Morningrise have awesome production thanks to Mr. Swano! A bit more down to earth maybe, much clearer, and quite unique. The drums sound perfect. I've come to think that the drum sound on Orchid and Morningrise is THE ideal drum sound. Every hit is perfectly clear.
And DeFarfalla's bass style on these albums is probably the biggest thing I miss about "early" Opeth. Im my opinion, the bass fits the music perfectly. I've gotten so sick of bass playing over the years that only follows the root note and whose only purpose is to provide the bottom end. Sometimes that's what is required to fit the music but often the bass can be so much more, as DeFarfalla has brilliantly shown us.

Get off the crack pipe man! Orchid and Morningrise have awesome production thanks to Mr. Swano! A bit more down to earth maybe, much clearer, and quite unique. The drums sound perfect. I've come to think that the drum sound on Orchid and Morningrise is THE ideal drum sound. Every hit is perfectly clear.

Ok...thats your opinion about it. I think the opposite as I said. Its just a matter of taste. What I mean about the Orchid drums is that their is no heavyness on them. Im a drummer myself and It doesnt sound like drums...it sound like damped drums...

I respect your opinion, respect mine too.