I have a question that's prolly gonna sound stupid...

Images and Words is the album by which all other things progressive in music is judged.

Been a fan of DT since 92:worship: all of the above albums are fantastic but my fave has to be "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" I have all their albums plus a JPEBMM guitar ( no I dont go through their garbage :rolleyes: )but if your a first time listener, I think Images and words would be a good introduction IMO. also check out their live DVD live at Budokan:headbang:

Metropolis Part 1 is the reason Images and Words > All other albums by any other band ever.

AutumnGust said:
Just to show that there are people who don't think Scenes, Images and Words and Awake must nessecarly be the best ones.
Thank you.
They start to piss me off sometimes.
:Smug: :Smug: <-- for those of u who don't know, the name of that smiley is "Smug"...
and thats what all u 92-99 DT fans are. Smug. But then again...we are all prog fans, which makes us all smug in a sense.

Train of Thought all the way!! :headbang: :kickass:

I would like Dream Theater if LaBrie's voice wasn't so damn annoying to my ears. The only Dream Theater album I have is Images and Words and I think the music itself is ok. I heard Scenes From a Memory and I like it more. But for some reason I find Dream Theater boring and don't keep me interested as Symphony X, Planet X, Adagio, etc. I love Liquid Tension Experiment, though.

Krakatau said:
I would like Dream Theater if LaBrie's voice wasn't so damn annoying to my ears. The only Dream Theater album I have is Images and Words and I think the music itself is ok. I heard Scenes From a Memory and I like it more. But for some reason I find Dream Theater boring and don't keep me interested as Symphony X, Planet X, Adagio, etc. I love Liquid Tension Experiment, though.

Much love to your new Avatar <3

JOHANSSON REPRESENT

*peace*

+1 for hearing of SymX before Dream Theater. A friend of mine sent me a bunch of tracks to sample a variety of styles of metal (back in my days of ignorance! :lol: ) and among them was a couple tracks by SymX. I immediately fell in love, and only later when I got into the Ubernet music sharing hub on DC++ did I hear recommendations for Dream Theater.

Don't get me wrong, Dream Theater is a good group, and very technically impressive, but they don't strike a chord with me like SymX, Opeth, or Rush. I am sure I will get flamed into a fine particulate mist for saying it, but DT's stuff doesn't seem nearly as emotionally deep or earnest as the above-mentioned bands.

Starting from "Images and Words" and working forward through their catalog may give a newbie a good idea of their musical evolution, as well as a greater appreciation of their musical range. My first DT cd was "Awake," and it's been pure, musically orgasmic bliss ever since! I know James LaBrie's voice can be an acquired taste, but on that album his voice just had some real bite to my ears!

By the way, it seems like people aren't as into "Six Degrees..." as their other work, but I find that one really enjoyable! From the monstrous rockers (The Glass Prison, The Great Debate), contemplative pieces (Blind Faith, Misunderstood), to the moody and spacey (Disappear), and of course the epic and engaging title track, it makes for a killer listening experience!

Personal favorites are "Images and Words," "Awake," "Scenes From a Memory," and "Six Degrees..."

MetalMan57 said:
:Smug: :Smug: <-- for those of u who don't know, the name of that smiley is "Smug"...
and thats what all u 92-99 DT fans are. Smug. But then again...we are all prog fans, which makes us all smug in a sense.

So 'having liked DT before Six Degrees = smug'? While the Ytsejammers of that period were likely a driving force behind the birth of the term progsnob, not everyone who was a DT fan then (or even a Ytsejammer then) falls into that category.

Oh, and I'll pass on the 'prog fan = smug' generalization too, but thanks anyway. :)

Jax said:
So 'having liked DT before Six Degrees = smug'? While the Ytsejammers of that period were likely a driving force behind the birth of the term progsnob, not everyone who was a DT fan then (or even a Ytsejammer then) falls into that category.

Oh, and I'll pass on the 'prog fan = smug' generalization too, but thanks anyway. :)

Damn right!

J-Dubya - Happy to say I call em' as I see em'

Porksoda said:
Don't get me wrong, Dream Theater is a good group, and very technically impressive, but they don't strike a chord with me like SymX, Opeth, or Rush. I am sure I will get flamed into a fine particulate mist for saying it, but DT's stuff doesn't seem nearly as emotionally deep or earnest as the above-mentioned bands.

I somewhat agree. I don't find the same emotional connection with DT as with SymX, but I do believe DT is outstanding technically. I can't remember the first DT song I ever heard, but I could tell you where, when and what SymX song I heard for the first time (through the looking glass/Spring '03/My Bedroom after recieving the Mp3 From my then BF now Husband). \m/-_-\m/ Symphony X > ALL

Jax said:

Could'nt have out it better myself!! thank you Jax :worship: