i have newb computer problems

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
I have a presario v5000 laptop that just decided to stop working as soon as I got home from Vermont. when i turn it on, it gives me the "windows did not start properly" bullshit and let's me choose from safe mode, starting normally, and all of that jazz. problem is, if i choose one, it just goes right back. the thing cant start up.

i can't find any information about getting a boot disk or really any information at all, because customer service is at an all-time low. any words of wisdom on how I should tackle this? i feel like this should be easy to overcome, i do not want to pay a shit laod of money to have something simple repaired.

thanks in advance, checks are in the mail

I'm am also having a computer problem. It lags really badly, but I've done everything I know how to do to correct it and none of it's worked. The lagging makes music skip and slows down browsing. Any ideas? :confused: Chex are in the mail.

@ Jason - clear out your temporary internet files and run a good spyware program like Spybot to clear out those stubborn spydom cookies & some registry problems. Of course, it goes without saying that you're hooked up to a good Anti-virus program like Norton right?

Another suggestion is to go into your largest file storage folder (for me it's my music folder), sort the files by size and delete all of the largest file downloads that you have no intention of ever using. It will definitely free up some memory.

Afterwards, reboot your system and see if that helps.

Jason

I have a presario v5000 laptop that just decided to stop working as soon as I got home from Vermont. when i turn it on, it gives me the "windows did not start properly" bullshit and let's me choose from safe mode, starting normally, and all of that jazz. problem is, if i choose one, it just goes right back. the thing cant start up.

i can't find any information about getting a boot disk or really any information at all, because customer service is at an all-time low. any words of wisdom on how I should tackle this? i feel like this should be easy to overcome, i do not want to pay a shit laod of money to have something simple repaired.

thanks in advance, checks are in the mail

seems like this has been going around this week ... a friend of mine had same issue happen this weekend.

sounds like a system file is corrupted or missing? does it tell you what file is it looking for?

I'm am also having a computer problem. It lags really badly, but I've done everything I know how to do to correct it and none of it's worked. The lagging makes music skip and slows down browsing. Any ideas? :confused: Chex are in the mail.
Try to push Ctrl+Alt+Del. It should show you this Task Manager window. Then go to "Processes". There you can see which program is taking up most of your memory. If there are any programs that seem unknown to you - possibly it's virus.

This is what my screen looks like what do I do guys

myscreen.jpg

Too easy to exploit? I've never had any problems, but by all means if you know of a vastly superior anti-virus program, please recommend it. Thanks!

I use AVG and Spyware Doctor nothing gets passed me. Of course your meant to pay for spyware doctor but i dont, it has been voted best antispyware 3 years running.

As for mr Maximus's problem, Could be something corruped within your windows install that's stopping it. Problem with laptops is it's hard to plug in another HD and load up windows as opposed to a pc.

Too easy to exploit? I've never had any problems, but by all means if you know of a vastly superior anti-virus program, please recommend it. Thanks!

it doesn't really do anything. back when i did have virus problems norton would never catch them and when i disabled it i didn't notice any difference. once i started using firefox i didn't have to worry about viruses so leaving it running was just a waste of memory. it's like that rock that keeps tigers away.

what the fuuuuuckkk

i installed XP again from a CD I found, but I guess this sort of XP isn't compatible with my laptop because I can't fit the resolution properly to my widescreen (causing a bluriness and a ton of lagging in any browser)

I don't know shit about computers. Imagine that.
When I was in engineering school, I took a programming class called FORTRAN. It was like, "wtf?" and I eventually just stopped going to class. First incomplete I ever got in all my years of schooling. dorian does not likey the technologics

Every time I log off of something, the next time I log in I have to type in my username and password and all that shit. What has happened and how do I fix it? It even happened with my browser, I had to request a new password to check my fucking email. Doesn't it have something to do with cookies? I don't want to mess with something called "cookies". I'll just stop using the internet and go do something manly, like take a shit while drinking a beer.