I need a new main amp for the studio

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Looking to get a new amp, it's going to be my main amp and I need help deciding.

I currently have a 5150 combo. I've been complaining about it since day 1. I compared it A/B to a friends 6505 and my 5150 sounds like a muddy fizzy mess compared to it. Yes it's been retubed and serviced. I'm over spending money on it. I run it into my Mesa slant and I want to upgrade.

So my options I'm thinking at the moment
6505+
5150iii 50W
Mesa Boogie
Kemper with power amp? I love micing my cab, I don't want to lose that.

The idea of having the kemper mounted into my desk and to have my cab 2 rooms away sounds too good to be true. Just sitting there going through 1000 profiles picking the perfect tone. I'm weary about it because it sounds too good to be true. I feel so dirty thinking about using an amp profiler instead of a real amp

If the kemper is good enough for Andy and Colin, and countless others, why would it be too good to be true? :lol:

Haha because it sounds like the greatest thing in the entire world. You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. But I might pull the trigger on it. I just feel like if it does what it is supposed to do, why does everyone still have an amp?

Looking to get a new amp, it's going to be my main amp and I need help deciding.

I currently have a 5150 combo. I've been complaining about it since day 1. I compared it A/B to a friends 6505 and my 5150 sounds like a muddy fizzy mess compared to it. Yes it's been retubed and serviced. I'm over spending money on it. I run it into my Mesa slant and I want to upgrade.

6505+
5150iii 50W
Mesa Boogie

The idea of having the kemper mounted into my desk and to have my cab 2 rooms away sounds too good to be true. Just sitting there going through 1000 profiles picking the perfect tone. I'm weary about it because it sounds too good to be true. I feel so dirty thinking about using an amp profiler instead of a real amp

I have a Roadster 2x12 combo and I love it. I run a BBpre in front for heavy tones and it cleans up so well. Just my $0.02:)

I just feel like if it does what it is supposed to do, why does everyone still have an amp?

....because it's meant to profile real amps. I sold my Mark V and got a Kemper. I use the Kemper 10 times more than I used that Mesa. I loved that amp, and even miss just looking at it, but for an engineer the Kemper is just a fantastic tool, and is much more useful than just one amp.

But it needs real amps to live. It doesn't make them obsolete at all, it just gives you a myriad of different ways to use them without having to use them....

If you're looking for one amp to do everything, I'd go with the Kemper. You can always grab a cheap, clean power amp to drive a cab if you want. A good friend of mine who owns a great selection of amps got one a few months back and I'm very impressed with it (and I can be an amp snob for sure).

If you want a "real" amp, the 5150III and the newest version Dual/Triple Rectos are among the most versatile multi-channel amps for metal/hard rock out there.

If you're looking for one amp to do everything, I'd go with the Kemper. You can always grab a cheap, clean power amp to drive a cab if you want. A good friend of mine who owns a great selection of amps got one a few months back and I'm very impressed with it (and I can be an amp snob for sure).

If you want a "real" amp, the 5150III and the newest version Dual/Triple Rectos are among the most versatile multi-channel amps for metal/hard rock out there.

For sure, they have a rack mounted version with a built in power amp now

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...r-powerrack-600w-class-d-profiling-guitar-amp

I think I will pull the trigger and I know there is always a return period in case I don't like it. I mean the fact I can even do bass profiles is a no brainer.

I'm a big fan of the Mesa Mark IV. Haven't tested the Mark V yet, but from what I've heard it's pretty versatile and is capable of many of the same tones as the Mark IV.

I have a 6505 and a triple rec, only need a brit to be there, and this will be my recommendation.

6505+
5150iii 50W
Mesa Boogie

Why not just mod it to 5150 head spec (minus the extra 60 watts obviously)? Instructions are in a post somewhere here on the forum. I'm getting ready to do this to mine, and make it switchable so I can go from 5150 spec to 5150 combo (same as II) spec. Mod involves 2 capacitors and a resistor (and in my case a DPDT switch).

I was in a similar quandary recently.. I couldn't decide between a Kemper and a 5153 50watt..
Ended up with the 5153. V happy.

I'm a big fan of the Mesa Mark IV. Haven't tested the Mark V yet, but from what I've heard it's pretty versatile and is capable of many of the same tones as the Mark IV.

Was gonna post something like this but I feel I'm a bit biased towards the IV since I've owned mine for almost 10 years and love the piss out of it.

Really, really, really need to try a Kemper. None of the music stores near me have them though, that I know of.

I'd say maybe Kemper now and save up for another real amp afterwards?

From your studio pics on Facebook it looks like your amp is right next to where you're monitoring. Unless you can put the cabs into an isolated room, I'd go with the Kemper. I love tubes and micing up cabs, but the risk of hearing damage isn't worth it to me.

+1 for the Dual/Triple Rectifier. I own an old Rectoverb (Singe Rec) combo myself and love it to death. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a Dual when I can justify it.

I think Jens Bogren made a good point in an old thread, and I agree for the most part:
"Rectifiers are funny: When you solo listen them they sound pretty week, strange, not metal at all. But they just have this random harmonic structure that make them glue in to any mix."

I don't agree with them not sounding metal, but they have this 'nastiness' about them that can sound a bit harsh on their own, but works so well in a band situation. I also think Mesa amps' build-quality are unparalleled.

I haven't played a Kemper personally, but the clips and albums I've heard with it sound convincing enough. But I've heard comments from guitar players (namely Rob Chapman, whose video reviews I've found to be trustworthy) saying that the 'feel' when playing (pick response, dynamics, etc.) is where it's lacking. Regardless, I feel like it would be a very nice tool in the studio.

Kemper is cool, and I think the jack of all trades would be the 5150/6505. Rectifier is cool aswell, but I'd say it has a somewhat more characteristic sound to it.