I really did not like this comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
theodyssey said:
I'm sorry, i just have to comment on one thing... NO ONE EVER CALLED COB BLACK METAL!!!!!!! That caps was for emphasis, not yelling... just to clarify. But Even Alexi said that CoB isn't black metal and they have never said they are black metal. I don't know where this whole "they are black metal" thing comes from... i would say melodic death metal at simplest explanation, especially for something wild and hatebreeder, though they have switched over to more just straight forward heavy metal like Nevermore.

OK, glad to know Alexi doesn't consider them blackmetal hehehe. But the only reason I pointed it out was because Ive seen a LOT of people say CoB are black metal because of Alexi's vocals.

Oh, i have too. that comment wasn't totally directed at you... jsut in general. I have seen a ton of people categorize them as black metal and i am just like "uh.... no?" he he he. Glad you didn't take that the wrong way :) OK, back to the topic at hand!!!!

Yngvai X said:
Alrighty, heres what I think...

Symphony X are not progmetal. Too much of what they write is pretty straightfoward neoclassical. Yeah they have odd time signatures but is that all that makes something progressive? Do they have some prog moments? Sure. So do Opeth, Angra, and Blind Guardian, but I wouldn't call any of those bands progmetal either. The prog elements SyX do have (long songs, lengthy instrumental passages, shifting time signatures) don't occur as much as the neoclassical elements (or even the thrashy Pantera-esque stuff). Plus, Theres one big element of prog SyX do not have, and thats the incorperation of many stylistic influences. Luis mentioned Jazz...but thats in one small part of one song. Listen to a band like Pain of Salvation and you'll hear they have influences ranging from jazz to blues to funk along with the metal stuff and even some pop stuff. What do I hear in SyX? Classical and metal.

To me, SyX is a part of a sort of NWONCM (New Wave of Neo Classical Metal :D ;)) that seems to be goin on with bands like themselves, Majestic/Time Requiem, Adagio, and to some extent Rhapsody (Hollywood metal my ass lol) and even Children of Bodom (again, black metal my ass - alexi your vocals dont fool me ;)).

So thats what I think (if anyone cares hehehe).

That's a good way to put it. I would also like to add that SyX most of the time uses a more conventional heavy metal songwriting than other prog metal bands (Candiria, Dream Theater, Aghora etc.)

Yngvai X said:
OK, glad to know Alexi doesn't consider them blackmetal hehehe. But the only reason I pointed it out was because Ive seen a LOT of people say CoB are black metal because of Alexi's vocals.

then they don't know anything about metal...

Yngvai X said:
Alrighty, heres what I think...

Symphony X are not progmetal. Too much of what they write is pretty straightfoward neoclassical. Yeah they have odd time signatures but is that all that makes something progressive? Do they have some prog moments? Sure. So do Opeth, Angra, and Blind Guardian, but I wouldn't call any of those bands progmetal either. The prog elements SyX do have (long songs, lengthy instrumental passages, shifting time signatures) don't occur as much as the neoclassical elements (or even the thrashy Pantera-esque stuff). Plus, Theres one big element of prog SyX do not have, and thats the incorperation of many stylistic influences. Luis mentioned Jazz...but thats in one small part of one song. Listen to a band like Pain of Salvation and you'll hear they have influences ranging from jazz to blues to funk along with the metal stuff and even some pop stuff. What do I hear in SyX? Classical and metal.

To me, SyX is a part of a sort of NWONCM (New Wave of Neo Classical Metal :D ;)) that seems to be goin on with bands like themselves, Majestic/Time Requiem, Adagio, and to some extent Rhapsody (Hollywood metal my ass lol) and even Children of Bodom (again, black metal my ass - alexi your vocals dont fool me ;)).

THANK YOU. Especially for the comment about Rhapsody. I love the band, but wtf? They're like the epitome of what neoclassical should be - hollywood metal my ass.

And yeah, SX has odd time signatures, and V was pretty prog-ish... but I consider them a mix of prog, neo-neoclassical :D , and power metal. I don't see the big need to call them prog - they're better than most prog bands anyway.

And WOW... the DT bashing is harsh as well as unfounded. I'm not fond of Rudess, but he's a great player who programs all his stuff, too. And DT about owns SymX at the unison stuff. Evidently you didn't catch the revised Dance of Eternity (The Instrumedley, as a lot of people call it) on their last tour.

I could keep going, but you're probably sick of my shit already.

Harp Heaven said:
Pinnella is, IMO, no more than an average synthist, with a few moments of brilliance (the solos in Rediscovery) . If you listen to his playing on the live album, he makes plenty of mistakes, messes up unison runs (Fallen being a good example) and I guess he is the reason for the simplifying of several of the unison runs.

Who are you to criticize Mr Michael Pinella?? :yell:. I have been cheking your posts, and you always make bad comments about Pinella.

As i have said several times, hes my second favorite after Vitalij Kuprij, but the problem wit him, is that he havent done his solo album yet, so we dont know, if he is able to play advanced classical pieces, but according to his biography he began to play piano at six, also he studied professional piano at Montclair University, so i guees he has the same level of Jordan or even better?¿

I dont see any mistake on the live album, on the contrary he plays better some songs like Candelight Fantasia or The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

The Metal Chick said:
Why do you have to be so overcritical of Pinnella? Who cares if he doesn't make them himself? Besides, it shouldn't matter what the EXACT kind of sound it is, it should matter how he plays them, and IMO he plays them well. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I didn't notice any mistakes on LOTEOF. He's only human, so who cares if he did. Music shouldn't be based on how technologically perfect it is. Let the man play his keyboards.

I totally agree :wave:

not to mention pinella is one of the most down to earth guys i have ever met... and yes, this really does matter. To me anyways. Besides, pinella kicks ass as a keyboardest.

i have no intellectually sound comment for this thread.. whatever they 'technically' are.. they kick major ass!! And IMO are the best band prog, neoclassical, power or otherwise out there..

I could care less what they are, as long as the music kicks ass. And Kate's definition of prog seems to be that it has to be amazingly original, which I disagree with. Especially if its original just for the sake of being original.

Luis said:
Who are you to criticize Mr Michael Pinella?? :yell:. I have been cheking your posts, and you always make bad comments about Pinella.

As i have said several times, hes my second favorite after Vitalij Kuprij, but the problem wit him, is that he havent done his solo album yet, so we dont know, if he is able to play advanced classical pieces, but according to his biography he began to play piano at six, also he studied professional piano at Montclair University, so i guees he has the same level of Jordan or even better?¿

I dont see any mistake on the live album, on the contrary he plays better some songs like Candelight Fantasia or The Divine Wings of Tragedy.
Chill out man. He has the right to post whatever he wants on this board, besides, he clearly said that it was his opinion. (IMO) If Pinella was as good as Jordan he would show it in his work with SyX. If Jordan shows some of his skill, why can't Pinella? I'm not saying that Pinella can't play advanced classical pieces, but he's certainly not at Jordan's technical level.

This whole ''SyX is not prog metal'' thing is idiotic, anyway. If SyX are not prog metal, who the fuck cares? genres are used to help people, not to start arguments.

TRying to disprove someone's OPINION on the internet is foolish and time comsuming(considering you could be sharing useful knowledge in another thread). No matter how far off base someone's opnion may be, remember, nobody has the final say-so on anything here(or-just becasue they say something does not make it true)..

leave it be...

You have to remember that classical was a big part or Prog scene before yngwie made it power metal, lol.
And I don't think Pain of salvation has any more prog influences than SX, I don't consider blues or funk very prog. To me SX is Prog metal with a lot of influences from the 70's and power metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.