I really did not like this comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progbass said:
And I don't think Pain of salvation has any more prog influences than SX, I don't consider blues or funk very prog.

thats not the point. The point is that a band is prog when they incorperate *many different styles* into their music. Not how many prog bands have influenced them.

Luis said:
Who are you to criticize Mr Michael Pinella?? :yell:. I have been cheking your posts, and you always make bad comments about Pinella.

As i have said several times, hes my second favorite after Vitalij Kuprij, but the problem wit him, is that he havent done his solo album yet, so we dont know, if he is able to play advanced classical pieces, but according to his biography he began to play piano at six, also he studied professional piano at Montclair University, so i guees he has the same level of Jordan or even better?¿

I dont see any mistake on the live album, on the contrary he plays better some songs like Candelight Fantasia or The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

Are you, or MetalChick for that matter, the final and definite arbiters of right and wrong when it comes to music? I stated, very clearly, that it was my opinion and my opinion alone, and I have every right to say whatever I want about Pinnellas playing without getting reprimands from forum-judicators like yourself.

Pinnella is on the same level as Jordan? Based on what, that both studied piano? :wave:

I`m a keyboardist, and a proficient and knowledgeable one at that, and I can tell you that unless you live in some kind of parallell universe, the fact remains that Pinnella is miles away from Jordan technically, which I can say is objectively true based on my experience with the artists in question, both as a listener and a player. This is, of course based on what I`ve heard them play on the records(I am familiar with all records of DT and SX).

Luis said:
Who are you to criticize Mr Michael Pinella??

Wow, and who are YOU to decide how everyone (or anyone!) should think?

I've only been here about a week, and if this is the kind of attitude that perpetuates the board, then I'm thinking maybe this is a huge waste of time.

I THOUGHT this was a place where fans of Symphony X could get together to exchange thoughts and ideas, and have interesting conversations & debates -- but if we're all just supposed to blindly worship the band members without question or critique of any kind... my god, how absolutely BORING.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: Starwind
**FARTS ON THREAD LOUDLY**

Oops, hahaha
saint.gif

The Metal Chick said:
Maybe that's another reason why it bothers me so much that people don't give him credit. He's a very very nice guy. :)

That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. My brother is VERY nice, probably the nicest person I've ever met - but he's a mediocre piano player at best, and his personality isn't going to change that. :p

I like Symphony X because they make great music and not because they are great musicians. (Don't get me wrong. I think they really are great musicians though :) ) Even if they did easy stuff, I like their music a lot. It doesn't matter if they play power / thrash / neo classical / progressive / heavy / black /whatever metal. Symphony X just rock :headbang:

Jessie Bannon said:
I THOUGHT this was a place where fans of Symphony X could get together to exchange thoughts and ideas, and have interesting conversations & debates -- but if we're all just supposed to blindly worship the band members without question or critique of any kind... my god, how absolutely BORING.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Welcome I guess... This really isn't how things always are around here, and I don't think its fair to make such generalizations are only being here a week.

The Yngster said:
Welcome I guess... This really isn't how things always are around here, and I don't think its fair to make such generalizations are only being here a week.

Well to be fair, I did say 'if' - but I will certainly give it some time, so we'll just wait and see... :err:

Okay, enough bs from me... I hear the crack of the whip, so back to work on getting the downloads page back up. :D

Jessie Bannon said:
That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. My brother is VERY nice, probably the nicest person I've ever met - but he's a mediocre piano player at best, and his personality isn't going to change that. :p

:err:
I didn't say that Pinnella's personality makes him an awesome player. His personality makes me want to defend him such as I did. I didn't mean to rip apart anyone's opinion...I thought I was just giving MY opinion. It seems to me when everyone gives there opinion around here, the place goes up in flames. :Smug:

The Metal Chick said:
:err:
I didn't say that Pinnella's personality makes him an awesome player. His personality makes me want to defend him such as I did. I didn't mean to rip apart anyone's opinion...I thought I was just giving MY opinion. It seems to me when everyone gives there opinion around here, the place goes up in flames. :Smug:

My bad! I misunderstood and associated the "giving him credit" to the fact that he's a nice guy. No flames intended on my part - especially with ShredManWalking farting up the board (don't want to cause an explosion!) - it's all good. :cool:

Pretty much everything I would say has been said here. I apologise for saying falsetto. I meant "head voice".

Anyway, what annoys me most is that when I say that SyX aren't prog, people assume that I am saying "SyX suck". NO. Just because they aren't prog, doesn't mean they suck. They are one of my favourite power metal bands.

Jessie Bannon said:
My bad! I misunderstood and associated the "giving him credit" to the fact that he's a nice guy. No flames intended on my part - especially with ShredManWalking farting up the board (don't want to cause an explosion!) - it's all good. :cool:

It's ok Jessie. :) See, why can't we all just chill out? Symphony X rules, and that should be the end of this discussion.

What's a head-voice?
I allways thought it was guys like Matos and Kotipelto (two singer that I despise with pleasure MWAHAH). But Russell sounds nothing like them at all.
But that comment made me unsure of what a head-voice is.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
What's a head-voice?
I allways thought it was guys like Matos and Kotipelto (two singer that I despise with pleasure MWAHAH). But Russell sounds nothing like them at all.
But that comment made me unsure of what a head-voice is.

Head voice is a mechanism that enables you to reach higher notes than with your normal chest voice. If you want a more in depth explanation check out the tips I gave on the ''vocal techniques question'' thread (or something like that) on the musicians forum. It doesn't matter if sound or don't sound like a certain singer, everybody can use head voice.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
You're not being serious, right?

Oh, I'm quite serious. Me and Harp Heaven had it out about this kinda thing a few months back. But, just to be very clear, as to not infuriate anyone, I'll put it this way: Opinion is opinion when and only when it is a belief, as in an educated guess, or something not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof. You know, like, abstract versus concrete.

Now when someone says it's their opinion and they are unaware of the knowledge and evidence making it fact, say, if it were me, I'd like to be informed.

For instance, Kate says, (in her opinion I take it) that she doesn't consider Symphony X to be a prog metal band, but a power metal band, she may be unaware of the fact that they are quite progressive and they are obviously metal, and that most creative and interesting power,death,black,symphonic etc. bands falls under the definition of progressive as well. I know that this is indeed opinion for a great many, but in fact, it is actually quite true, if the evolution of prog metal is traced properly.

Polyeidus said:
Oh, I'm quite serious. Me and Harp Heaven had it out about this kinda thing a few months back. But, just to be very clear, as to not infuriate anyone, I'll put it this way: Opinion is opinion when and only when it is a belief, as in an educated guess, or something not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof. You know, like, abstract versus concrete.

Forget what I said earlier, I thought you said ''unless their opinion is not wanted'' I misread your statement.

For instance, Kate says, (in her opinion I take it) that she doesn't consider Symphony X to be a prog metal band, but a power metal band, she may be unaware of the fact that they are quite progressive and they are obviously metal, and that most creative and interesting power,death,black,symphonic etc. bands falls under the definition of progressive as well. I know that this is indeed opinion for a great many, but in fact, it is actually quite true, if the evolution of prog metal is traced properly.

Here's where I disagree, that's not a good logic to prove that SyX are prog metal. A lot of bands that are are classified under one genre are a lot of times influenced by other genres. Take Aeternus for example, they are a death metal band, but on the early stuff you find influences raging from folk, doom and black metal. In order to prove (if you really want to) that SyX are prog metal I would suggest you to respond to Yngvai's post. Prog metal is a genre way too vague and it pretty much depends on where the listener draws the line between normal heavy metal and prog metal. You can be progressive in a lot of different ways, how much you change from album to album, the proficiency of your musicians, the way you write your songs (if you use conventional or non conventional songwriting) and the structure of the music in general. SyX does have progressive elements on their music, but in my opinion, they haven't changed enough to be a prog band (and they structure their songs in a more conventional way). They also play too much straightforward -esque metal/neoclassical songs on their albums to be considered prog (Evolution, Smoke And Mirrors, The Turning etc.). Death are one of the most progressive bands i've ever heard in the sense that they changed a lot from album to album (and their music was demanding on the musicians as well). Like I said (IMO) prog metal is a term way too vague to say for a fact that SyX are a prog metal band. Are SyX in my opinion a prog metal band? no. In any case, I think it's stupid argue and try to prove that a band is from a specific genre (this is not really directed at you). Like I said, genres are meant to help people, not to start arguments.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Like I said (IMO) prog metal is a term way too vague to say for a fact that SyX are a prog metal band. Are SyX in my opinion a prog metal band? no. In any case, I think it's stupid argue and try to prove that a band is from a specific genre (this is not really directed at you). Like I said, genres are meant to help people, not to start arguments.

I partly agree with all you've said, but maybe I wasn't very clear as to what point I was trying to make.(After all, writing and communicating is something I've had to work on, especially since I've gotten envolved in music forums)

I disagree however with your definition of progressive metal. Using Deaths progression of albums sequencially, you define prog metal with the wrong form of the word progress. Historically, as I stated in my earlier post, prog began as a style of music that combined classical music's sense of space and monumental scope with rock's raw power and energy, along with what Yngvai X said about incorporating many different styles, thus creating new and interesting music, I.E. prog rock. The genre was never based solely on progression from one album to the next, but in each song, work, what have you, begginning to finish. This is why 'prog metal' is in reality such a broad genre, but most refer to it in the form of a certain sound, like that of Evergrey, Dreamscape, earlier Dream Theater, and so on. But because Symphony X incorporates the same attributes as those first considered 'prog' in the 70's, they do falll under the wide scope that is prog metal. With prog rock, prog metal, and the easily understood(to those who are familiar) metal defined, you can now classify the many, and reasonably newly created sub-genre's. It is complicated, unless you truly understand how things progressed from the start, from the fathers of prog. I honestly don't care if anyone wants to keep their opinion, but that doesn't mean that I won't be progressive enough to share mine, along with a little history supporting it.
\m/

Polyeidus said:
I partly agree with all you've said, but maybe I wasn't very clear as to what point I was trying to make.(After all, writing and communicating is something I've had to work on, especially since I've gotten envolved in music forums)

I disagree however with your definition of progressive metal. Using Deaths progression of albums sequencially, you define prog metal with the wrong form of the word progress. Historically, as I stated in my earlier post, prog began as a style of music that combined classical music's sense of space and monumental scope with rock's raw power and energy, along with what Yngvai X said about incorporating many different styles, thus creating new and interesting music, I.E. prog rock. The genre was never based solely on progression from one album to the next, but in each song, work, what have you, begginning to finish. This is why 'prog metal' is in reality such a broad genre, but most refer to it in the form of a certain sound, like that of Evergrey, Dreamscape, earlier Dream Theater, and so on. But because Symphony X incorporates the same attributes as those first considered 'prog' in the 70's, they do falll under the wide scope that is prog metal. With prog rock, prog metal, and the easily understood(to those who are familiar) metal defined, you can now classify the many, and reasonably newly created sub-genre's. It is complicated, unless you truly understand how things progressed from the start, from the fathers of prog. I honestly don't care if anyone wants to keep their opinion, but that doesn't mean that I won't be progressive enough to share mine, along with a little history supporting it.
\m/

You didn't really understood what I said. Here's what I said:

You can be progressive in a lot of different ways, how much you change from album to album, the proficiency of your musicians, the way you write your songs (if you use conventional or non conventional songwriting) and the structure of the music in general. SyX does have progressive elements on their music, but in my opinion, they haven't changed enough to be a prog band (and they structure their songs in a more conventional way).
I never said that in order to be a prog band the only element you had to take in consideration was progression from album to album, that's just one of the elements. Let's leave it at that because I don't think I need to post things that I already said earlier.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.