I think my wisdom tooth is breaking through...

Battle.Angel

Running after the rain
Feb 15, 2008
Seattle's coffee shops
Oh man.. This part behind my last molar tooth, right there, where the wisdom tooth is somewhere under my gum, looks totally swollen and hurts a little...
I'm a little bit freaked out because I don't have a dental insurance in the US and thinking that I might have to go back home to Germany in case this is getting really bad.. :cry: Which I hope is not gonna happen!!! :erk: I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm thinking worst-case...

However, what are your experiences with wisdom teeth? When did they break thorugh? Did they have to be removed? Anybody a guess how much that would cost in the US?

Thanks

I had one upper tooth removed last year. The bottom one is starting to show but it seems to come out just fine without pushing anything... so I may keep it.
I know that the upper ones are super easy to remove, while the bottom ones are a bit more painful and a little more hard to remove (it's the way they are attached the jaw is different from the upper jaw)

No clue how much it costs in the US... I think my insurance covered 80% of it and I had to pay something like a couple of hundreds maybe... I can check
my papers and let you know.

Good luck babe <3
Sorry you're in pain :(

Anybody a guess how much that would cost in the US?

Thanks

Cheaper than flying to Germany and back. Mouth pain is the the worst, get it taken care of sooner rather than later. I was on the road in somewhere's ville North Carolina years ago when I could'nt take it anymore with mine. It was about $250 cash for two teeth and an antibiotic script.

If they've already erupted I think it's cheaper because they can just pull them out. The more they have to dig, the more it costs. I was told it would be about $1500 to get all of mine removed, only one of which is erupted.

I did have pain and swelling at first with the one that broke through, but five years later it's a functional tooth and I have no problem with it. Give it a little time I'd say, but if it's unbearable then go get it yanked.

Only 250 bucks?? So cheap? I thought this would cost a couple of thousands.. o_O

No gas, x-rays just local anesthetic, I was in there an hour maybe. Had it checked out by my dentist when I returned home and was told she did a great job. It was'nt the most pleasant experience. Call around, ask a bit and explain your situation.

get them done properly not some backyard abortion kit,ok!!! if they are impacted.

Actually I think, it's something else now.. I don't know.. it's kinda swollen pretty badly by now, but I don't see a tooth coming out of there.. Oh man, it looks really weird.. I think, I'm gonna go to the dentist tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for your advice anyways!

I have one of these bitches too. It's been there for a while now, but it's finally started to feel a bit tight back there and painful occasionally.

Actually I think, it's something else now.. I don't know.. it's kinda swollen pretty badly by now, but I don't see a tooth coming out of there.. Oh man, it looks really weird.. I think, I'm gonna go to the dentist tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for your advice anyways!

The Nevermore board: Empowering and encouraging people to live healthier and go to the doctor when needed.

All hails us.

Another option is going to a university where they teach dental. A student will do the work while a teacher overlooks.
My buddy is getting his wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow at University of Toronto for like $200-300.

Another option is going to a university where they teach dental. A student will do the work while a teacher overlooks.
My buddy is getting his wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow at University of Toronto for like $200-300.

Yeah, they do that in Dallas at Baylor, but there's a stupid waiting list. You're guaranteed to wait 2-3 months, if they decide they want you at all. It's something to look into though, I'm sure it's not all stupid like that everywhere.