i wake up way too early

i used to need about 9, also, and would totally fall to pieces without it; i didn't know how i was going to survive in the real world. but once i started actually only getting 5-6 hours per night, my body slowly adjusted and now i'm pretty good going to bed at 2-3am and getting up at 8, and maybe sleeping for 9 hours on one weekend night.

xfer said:
i used to need about 9, also, and would totally fall to pieces without it; i didn't know how i was going to survive in the real world. but once i started actually only getting 5-6 hours per night, my body slowly adjusted and now i'm pretty good going to bed at 2-3am and getting up at 8, and maybe sleeping for 9 hours on one weekend night.
That's probably my schedule too. Except more in the 12am-6am range.

I always wake up early. No matter what I was doing the night before, I wake up at like 10ish. The sucky thing is I'm still tired and have to take a mid afternoon nap.

I have very strong "sleep inertia," as I like to call it. While it sometimes takes me a while to fall asleep even if I'm pretty tired, I will almost always sleep continuously until at least 2 PM, provided I went to sleep after midnight. And I'm apparently really difficult to wake up, as well. So if I have the time to sleep in, I can get some amazing rest, but as is usually the case, I just have a really really tough time waking up to an alarm.

Ok, in regards to waking up Ben, we (My Boston suitemates, Fred and Steve, and I) took turns throwing things at him until he woke up, but that was only when we smeared deodorant on his neck. Also, during the minor earthquake we had first semester of this year, I had to yell at him during the earthquake to wake him up. Seriously, kid sleeps like the dead. I'm debating duct-taping him to his bed one night while he is in a deep sleep.

in college i used 3 alarms

first, one with a 9 minute snooze would go off.

20 minutes or so later, this loud rooster alarm would go off (no snooze).

around the same time one with a 4 minute snooze started.

for an hour or so i would be slapping both snoozes whenever they went off. at times, i stayed asleep for 6 more hours, alternately ignoring and snoozing the alarms.

my roommate must've hated me.

incidentally, Ben, it gets better as you get older--now, i use a single 9-minute snooze, and often awaken a minute before it goes off. college is just a tough fucking time for sleep schedules.

Yeah, I have a 7-minute snooze. I go for up to an hour sometimes before finally getting out of bed too. So I set my alarm for an hour and a half before I have to actually be somewhere.

Also, I rid myself of a 7 AM erg workout tomorrow morning, because nobody wanted to get up then anyway and we just decided on 5 PM instead! I can achieve awesome things when preserving sleep-time is concerned!

Against Ben's ludicrous ability to sleep, I averaged 4 hours a night last semester on good weeks. At points, I thought I was partially narcoleptic because I would fall asleep in the middle of the weirdest things. For example, standing in line, or mid-halo match playing multiplayer.

i had insomnia even when i was like 4 and lived in a house with no electricity and a fucking outhouse! it's not the computer :(