I went, I saw, I drank

ShadowLioness

\m/ \m/
Jan 3, 2002
Suburbs of Chicago
Visit site
Ahhhh...just came back from a long weekend down in the southern bowls of Illinois(Carbondale, where I graduated many moons ago, heh). Besides watching one of my best friends get engaged on stage at a show there (among other strange and entertaining happenings), I also attended their annual Beerfest...minor details follow for those that wish to be bored out of their puny skulls...

First I would like to say that this isn't the greatest Beerfest ever. I have attended "Brewmaster's Dinners" that were more appealing; however, if one looks past the annoyances and the inconvenience, a good time can be had by all...

One word: HOT as HELL...okay that was three words. Anyway, Saturday was indeed one hot mother friggin' day, and, seeing as the event was held outdoors, I knew I was in store for a LONG sweaty afternoon...

One curiosity: I always find it amazing that people would pay money to attend these kind of events just to turn around and drink things like Budweiser and Miller. Personally, I like to go to these things to try things that I GENERALLY can't go to the nearest store and buy or just things I have never tasted before. This was a college town though, so all of your frat boys flocked to the nearest Michelob table and guzzled...ah well.

Unfortunately I didn't get to try as many beers as I wanted to...due to the heat and immense number of people. My original plan was to check off all the beers I tasted on the little program that you get. That didn't happen either, so I am working strictly from memory here...

I do remember trying quite a few beers from Germany (ahhhhhh). Notable ones were the Erdinger Weiss Beer and the Frankenheim.

As far as ales...I had the Dogfish Indian Brown Ale (Delaware), Bell's Amber Ale (Michigan), and Carbondale's own Copper Dragon Scotch Ale (quite the sweet taste in that one). I was quite confused on the whole Copper Dragon thing. For those who don't know, this place not only brewed their own beer but it was one of my favorite places to go to see live bands, REALLY cool atmosphere. Anyway, rumor has it that they are only open on certain weekends now, hmmm, well damn I was happy they brought their beer along! I also had one of their wheat beers. I couldn't tell ya the exact name because it was actually a substitute the bar tender had given me for another beer that they had run out of that I wanted to try. I did like the wheat though, very light.

I also had a Blue Moon Belgium White (Colorado). This one was pretty light in taste as well (hence the name) but I had never heard of it so I gave it a whirl.

I made the mistake of trying one of the IPA's, eeeek, sorry people, that stuff is generally too bitter for me. I can't remember which one it was now...

Next time, if there is a next time, I will be bringin' a handy pencil, dammit:) The quest to broaden my beer horizons continues...

Now that I have bored you all, you may proceed to the next thread;)

I'm sure Paul and Lar will poke fun at me in this thread, but I'll go ahead and respond anyway! :D

OK- Beerfest: great idea. I haven't participated in one yet (other than in private accomodations with friends wearing Moose hats made from 12-pack cartons), but it's definitely something I may be checking out soon. Actually, there's one in St Louis this weekend at the local Schlafly brewery, which is a great brewpub- you can take fresh beer home in a gallon jug. We'll see if my powers of persuasion can finangle a trip out of my girlfriend there...

Don't think I've tried Dogfish Indian Brown Ale, and I've never heard of the Copper Dragon; sounds gewd. Blue Moons are sometimes served with a wedge of orange; it's like a german wheat beer, but it's slightly different I think. Not as much wheat in it, and a bit lighter, but a similar style. Bell's Amber is a great beer too. And I'm totally partial to the IPA's- that bitter beer is great.

For my Saturday, we had a few different beers as well: started (for taste) with Lakefront Brewery's (my new favorite brewery!) Oktoberfest beer. Some of the Oktoberfest beers I've had have been a bit too heavy- the Sam Adams one is pretty good, but a little heavy for the early fall when it's still hot out. The Lakefront one is lighter, and actually a lager, so it has that little-bit-of-wheat flavor and a bit of burnt carmel flavor, but not too much so it's pretty easy drinking. I can't wait for the damn PUMPKIN BEER! That's my favorite, and Lakefront is now one of the only local breweries to make it (since the demise of Chicago's Wild Onion brewery). After that, I had the Alpha King from Three Floyd's- if bitter beer is not for you, stay away from that one. The 'Alpha' refers to the kind of hops they put in it, I believe, and the beer's all about the hops. It's got a real robust-fruit nose and decently high alcohol content.

Unfortunately, it was downhill from there. Modelo in the can with hot sauce and lime (a drink suggested by an old friend), Bud in the can, and eventually a giant Polish beer I couldn't finish at the Cianide/Scepter show at Cafe Lura. Which is a very cool place, btw- I'd really like to play there.

Ok, I'm done now. Thanks.

No problem here. Except that come Sunday, I really wasn't in the mood for it- even when Larry offered a free one. I had a taste for pasta, though.

http://www.foodtv.com
Linguine with Clam Sauce
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002

1 pound linguine, or spaghettini
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces chorizo, diced
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
3 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 pound Little Neck clams, scrubbed and purged in water
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup clam juice
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the cooking liquid. Cover and set aside.

In a large, heavy saute pan or medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and clam juice and cook for 1 minute. Add the clams, cover, and shaking occasionally, cook until the clams open, about 5 minutes. Discard any unopened clams. Add the cream and lemon juice, stir well, and simmer for 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and parsley, and toss to coat. Divide among serving bowls and top each portion with cheese. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

For more of Emeril's recipes, go to Emerils.com.

Ahhh yes, the Oktoberfest beers! I love them! I did try quite a few, including Leinenkugel's. I myself do like the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. The Goose version is yummy too:D

Ya know, The Ram had pumpkin beer last year. The initial idea of it kind of turned me off, even though I LOVE pumpkin pie, muffins, bread...the thought of a beer was just, ACK, at first. I was thinking about it a couple weeks ago actually, because I know it's just about time for that. I will probably give it a spin this time around. I suppose I can't knock it until I try it:)

Yeah the Copper was a cool place. I think their liquor license has been in jeapordy or something, it's a damn shame...

Oh and yeah, beer is not a problem, it's a PASSION:)

Damn, seems like I am surrounded by a bunch of drunk mofos. I'm just the sober misfit of the bunch.....

"Nobody wants a CHARLIE in the box!!"

I'm going to go watch Rankin-Bass holiday specials and drink cough syrup I guess.