If I like [BLANK], then what else should I be listening to?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I thought we could use a thread for "peer to peer" education. It can be used for recommendations based on what we're listening to....so, here goes:

If I like EMPEROR - IN THE NIGHTSIDE ECLIPSE, then what else should I be listening to?

Reasons why I like Nightside Eclipse:

Symphonic and incredibly ruthless in its riff and melodies. Although it may not be intended this way, it reminds me of battles in the cold nightly mountainside forest.

The vocals are so fucking drastic, witch-like, and high pitched - it's like hearing the sound of someone having their spine pulled from their back.

Most of all, the music just sends shivers down my back. It carries so much depth. I'm no expert on true black metal, I don't deny it, but this album is changing me each time I hear it. It's addictive. It's scary. I can't get enough of it.

Fix me.

:Spin:

Surely you already have 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk'. It's a little different, but it is still totally awesome. Phyre isn't quite as high on it, but what does he know anyway.

If I like Xasthur, then what else should I be listening to.

I like it's totally harsh, sickening, black-as-hell feel. It's like black metal played from the depths of a dungeon deep, deep beneath the earth.

Carpathian Forest - Strange Old Brew

Maybe not quite the speedy metallic frenzy that is In The Nightside Eclipse, but definitely contains most of the qualities you've mentioned. Just a KILER eerie atmosphere on that one, plus I think The End has it extremely cheap. I got mine there for $8 previously.

Think you'll really enjoy it.

npearce said:
Surely you already have 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk'. It's a little different, but it is still totally awesome. Phyre isn't quite as high on it, but what does he know anyway.

Ordered it in my last haul. I had Prometheus and Nightside Eclipse previously only.

If I like Xasthur, then what else should I be listening to.

I like it's totally harsh, sickening, black-as-hell feel. It's like black metal played from the depths of a dungeon deep, deep beneath the earth.

Now THAT sounds damp, cold, and grim. Did you ever review Xasthur npearce?

phyre said:
Setherial "Nord", Nokturnal Mortum and possibly Limbonic Art.

Any particular albums? I read the write up on Lunar Poetry - sounds very interesting. Do you comply?

Dark One said:
Carpathian Forest - Strange Old Brew

...I think The End has it extremely cheap. I got mine there for $8 previously.

Think you'll really enjoy it.

Thanks - I'll look into it - especially since they've been added to the Wacken roster.

I checked The End - they have some CF, but not 'Brew. If they restock, I hope they sell it again for $8!

It got nothing but positive reviews. It's very harsh and uncompromising, though. I'm not sure how many others could handle it. I'm pretty tough compared to you guys.

Jay: Goat Horns is one of the best albums ever.
To The Gates Of Blasphemous Fire is also a good choise. Maybe Gates.. is more Emperor similar, plus it got a much heavier sound.

It got nothing but positive reviews. It's very harsh and uncompromising, though. I'm not sure how many others could handle it. I'm pretty tough compared to you guys.
Yeah, SURE. :>
I downloaded the first two tracks off the new Xasthur. I'm not really sure what to think. It didn't stand out to me. Try Burzum (of course), Abyssic Hate, Sort Vokter, Arkadia...

Ooooh! The UM server is driving me crazy. I thought I posted a fucking reply here earlier, apparently NOT...

Any particular albums? I read the write up on Lunar Poetry - sounds very interesting. Do you comply?
Lunar Poetry is more melodic. Get Goat Horns (essential) but the two latest ones are good as well, though they focus more on aggression. They're all like $10 at The End and all are excellent so, hell, get 'em all.

As for Limbonic Art, probably the early stuff like Moon In The Scorpio preferably, but I'm not a LA expert.

Yeah, and they're re-recording "Unholy Orathiania" for the new album, to be released on Resistance Records, heh heh. Not that I see any need to do so, but it'll be interesting to hear.

Goat Horns it is then.

Oh and by the way, feel free to use this thread for your own requests - as npearce did with Xasthur. I think it makes for really good reading and discussion!

JayKeeley said:
Thanks - I'll look into it - especially since they've been added to the Wacken roster.

I checked The End - they have some CF, but not 'Brew. If they restock, I hope they sell it again for $8!
Well they have Defending the Throne of Evil for $12, that was the only one I saw in stock, but just get that one anyway dammit!! Hehe. You won't be disappointed, definitely a heavier and more balanced feel throughout than Strange Old Brew, not that that's a bad thing at all. More keyboards too, may even be up your alley more. :hotjump:

Oh yeah, one of the guitar players for Carpathian Forest? None other than Tchort.

One last thing, 'Anthems to Welkin at Dusk' may be my favorite black metal album of all time. Absolutely essential, contains the perfect balance of their older and newer styles. The "A Predator's Portrait" of Emperor if you will. :loco: