If I like [BLANK], then what else should I be listening to?

Woah Opeth17, I was going to resurrect this thread in about 2 minutes!!

To your question, I hear Otyg is somewhat of a disaster. Shame because I love Vintersorgs clean vocals so much. Probably one of my fave vocalists. If I find Otyg cheap somewhere, I would probably still buy it just to check it out.

Dark One said:
Carpathian Forest - Strange Old Brew

Maybe not quite the speedy metallic frenzy that is In The Nightside Eclipse, but definitely contains most of the qualities you've mentioned. Just a KILER eerie atmosphere on that one, plus I think The End has it extremely cheap. I got mine there for $8 previously.

Think you'll really enjoy it.
Heh, I just got round to listening to this. I really like it - CF as a band turned out to be very different to what I expected overall - Strange Old Brew is practically death metal at times. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for a "Nightside Eclipse", but hella gut anyvay!!!11

If I like:

Aeternus, Satyricon, Windir, Ulver (specially the BM era), Suidakra, Summoning

What else might I like?

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Windir, Suidakra, Summoning
Windir - try Thyrfing (Urkraft or Valdr Galga) and Einherjer (Dragons from the North or Norwegian Native Art)

Suidakra - try Ancient Rites (Dim Carcosa)

Summoning - try Rakoth (Planeshift)

Opeth17 said:
Question: How similar is OTYG to Vintersorg and if I like Vintersorg is OTYG something I need to be listening to?

don't listen to jaykelly, otyg are great, and imo the best folk metal band around, or that was around, they've split up. musically it's pretty different from vintersorg, it's essenitally folk metal, no growls and a lot of violins, flutes and other traditional instruments. i recomend you to pick up "älvefärd", their debut. it's darker and has a lot better melodies than the more up-beat "sagovindars boning".

if you prefer the more recent works of vintersorg you probably wont enjoy otyg, but if you're more into hedniskhjärtad and till fjälls i urge you to get älvefärd :D

spaffe said:
don't listen to jaykelly, otyg are great,
Well, I was just relaying what was said by others in this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126161

Go to post#52 onwards. I think 2 or 3 people here dismissed Otyg. The thing is, like I said, I really like Vintersorg. I am more than willing (especially now) to give Otyg the benefit of the doubt.

i recomend you to pick up "älvefärd", their debut. it's darker and has a lot better melodies than the more up-beat "sagovindars boning".
Is it pure folk, or are there some 'metal' qualities? Not that I mind on either accounts, I'm just curious.

JayKeeley said:
Well, I was just relaying what was said by others in this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126161

Go to post#52 onwards. I think 2 or 3 people here dismissed Otyg. The thing is, like I said, I really like Vintersorg. I am more than willing (especially now) to give Otyg the benefit of the doubt.

Is it pure folk, or are there some 'metal' qualities? Not that I mind on either accounts, I'm just curious.

yeah i know you where just relaying others opinions, it's just that they are one of my favouite bands ;)

well they use electric guitarrs a lot, not as a the main instrument that often though, but there aren't any double bass drums or growls and it's mostly in folk tempo

spaffe said:
don't listen to jaykelly, otyg are great, and imo the best folk metal band around, or that was around, they've split up. musically it's pretty different from vintersorg, it's essenitally folk metal, no growls and a lot of violins, flutes and other traditional instruments. i recomend you to pick up "älvefärd", their debut. it's darker and has a lot better melodies than the more up-beat "sagovindars boning".

if you prefer the more recent works of vintersorg you probably wont enjoy otyg, but if you're more into hedniskhjärtad and till fjälls i urge you to get älvefärd :D

Thanks for the info. Till Fjalls is an album I'm loving right now so I'll probably like OTYG.

Okay, resurrecting this one.

I love Edge of Sanity's "prime" period (The Spectral Sorrows - Purgatory Afterglow - Crimson), what else captures this catchy yet still death metal vibe? Oh yeah, I tried Sentenced three separate times now over the past 2 years, still capital B Blah to me, so I'm apparently picky with this crap. How about Amorphis, are they in a similar vein? Thanks and poop.

Try Ribspreader - Bolted to the cross with Dan on drums and the guy who did vocals on Crimson 2. Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes is very awesome and in the Edge of sanity vein.

JayKeeley said:
Windir - try Thyrfing (Urkraft or Valdr Galga) and Einherjer (Dragons from the North or Norwegian Native Art)

Suidakra - try Ancient Rites (Dim Carcosa)

Summoning - try Rakoth (Planeshift)
Try Jabberworks by Rakoth , their best , and one of the finest album I've ever heard

Okay, Amorphis it is. I actually added Elegy to my shopping list last night in anticipating assumption, or something. :)

Ribspreader eh? Another Swanö band, haha.

BWD, yeah got the CDs last night, thanks mate. Got to about the 3rd track on the Sentenced CD before shutting it off. :loco: