If Mort Divine ruled the world

The problem is with your last paragraph is that gender dysphoria is given more legitimacy than any other 'cosmetic' surgery. And that is a distinction that I find hard to agree with.

It is more legitimate? Chances are someone isn't going to kill themselves due to not being able to afford a nose job because they don't like their crooked nose.

You speak like transgender people have no options. I dont think anyone is denying them hormone therapy or cosmetic procedures. Im sure that if they went to a doctor or a surgeon they could get the exact treatments that they are looking for. The problem, like Mort pointed out, is that these options are sometimes expensive. There are many people out their with medical conditions that are expensive, and often people go into debt because of them. I think healthcare should be fair to everyone, and thinking there should be an exception because this one involves gender? It isnt even like insurance reimbursement for transgender HRT is unheard of (Medicare actually covers it). Sure, its tough, but living with chronic health issues such as Parkinson's or seizures is also tough.

Those diseases should have better and more accessible coverage and treatment options too. Nobody is detracting from that by supporting transgender people.

That is an example of why it should be available, not why it should be required or expected. If a transgender person wants to fit in, they should have the opportunity.

It is available?

It is more legitimate? Chances are someone isn't going to kill themselves due to not being able to afford a nose job because they don't like their crooked nose.

Why do people commit suicide? Eating disorders? Cut themselves?

Those diseases should have better and more accessible coverage and treatment options too. Nobody is detracting from that by supporting transgender people.

Then I dont really understand what you think should be available. Nobody here is against transgender people either.

Why do people commit suicide? Eating disorders? Cut themselves?

Suicide rates among transgender people are actually really high. Id say that it is a serious mental illness, but that might be too insensitive.

Problem is, people are acting as if reassignment surgery will lower suicide rates but no data supports that claim.

Hormone replacement therapy could be a good start for coverage though, as it's fairly cheap and many trans I know personally say that hormone replacement was a good way for them to decide how far they wanted to go with the changes.
Some people stop at hormone replacement therapy and others are reaffirmed in pursuing reassignment surgery.

At the same time there are quite heavy downsides to hormone replacement therapy. It's highly cancerous.

It is available?

It is not an option for most people due to lack of coverage, high cost and difficulty in finding good places to undergo the procedures. Literally no one is claiming that it is totally unavailable, but it is not available for many of the people who could benefit from it. You already know that, so you can stop acting like you don't.

Then I dont really understand what you think should be available. Nobody here is against transgender people either.

I think that better healthcare for transgender people should be more available. In general our healthcare system is poor anyway and should be improved for everyone.

Actually, this argument began due to complaints about transgender people seeking medical care that were linked in another topic, so I think your second sentence is incorrect.

I'd also like to point out that rms is the one who so strongly had a problem with me just stating that I think that transgender people should have more accessible care in another topic several weeks ago, to the point that he brought it up to start this rehashed discussion. I'm not the one who engaged this dialogue at all.

I think that better healthcare for transgender people should be more available. In general our healthcare system is poor anyway and should be improved for everyone.

If it should be improved for everyone, then making a point that it should be better for transgender people is like saying that it is somehow worse for them than it is for anyone else.

Actually, this argument began due to complaints about transgender people seeking medical care that were linked in another topic, so I think your second sentence is incorrect.

I see. That's too bad. I didnt see any blatant tranny hate here, oh well.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I'd also like to point out that rms is the one who so strongly had a problem with me just stating that I think that transgender people should have more accessible care in another topic several weeks ago, to the point that he brought it up to start this rehashed discussion. I'm not the one who engaged this dialogue at all.

Your word choice has fluctuated between free(covered) trans surgery and "should be more accessible." Don't blame the white man for your unclear thoughts. This all started because you wanted to be cool and rag on SS :)

Your word choice has fluctuated between free(covered) trans surgery and "should be more accessible." Don't blame the white man for your unclear thoughts. This all started because you wanted to be cool and rag on SS :)

Insurance rates and deductibles are a thing, you know. Health insurance doesn't just magically make things free because they're covered by your insurance, especially when things are partially covered. There's no contradiction here. You're the one who brought this particular topic up in this thread.

Well Omni, your post does nothing to address your unclear thoughts. The sides are hashed out here and there's no point in putting more posts in this thread when you can go to the Mort thread and do so.

I honestly can't think of any other place irl or online that covers trans people stuff as much as this forum. Every other discussion has to bend into trans argument. It's like Ultimate Trans Stuff 24/7.