If Mort Divine ruled the world

14449776_187763734987169_2176747102746044253_n.jpg

I'm not sure it's about the law in that picture. Do the police legally have the right to kill you for not obeying a command? Especially if you are not formally under arrest? If so that's one fucked up law. At what point did we make police judge jury and executioner? Their motto is to "serve and protect," not "kill all who don't comply". I'm not ok with giving up all of my freedom as a human being just because a dude in a uniform said so.

Are you seriously saying that disobeying a police officer should be a crime punishable by death? You're okay with giving them that power? That's some third world shit imo.

Here's a narrative;

White person gets shot by police officer. It isn't news. Nobody cares. Nobody protests.

It's ironic that rms said to stop bringing up race, when the dead man's race is the only reason we're even talking about this.

You're right - race matters, nobody protests white deaths (or very few do), and the media isn't interested in covering it.

I'm simply commenting on a general cultural impression of black victims versus white victims. The backlash of BLM and the media coverage is a response to a particular phenomenon: the tendency to demonize black victims and not white victims. This is not necessarily a conscious demonization, but simply the way they're treated in the criminal justice system. Death stats aside, given a black man and white man accused of the same crime, the black man is likely to suffer harsher consequences.

All of this has to do with optics, which inform how we construct narratives about these events. I'm interested in the narratives created around black deaths because this happens to be the cultural craze right now, and I count myself part of the camp who thinks these narratives play a big role in shaping our reactions to events.

None of this excuses the slaying of whites by cops.

This is a good point, making explicit the repeat offenders issue, which feeds into minimum sentencing requirements.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying this is a conscious demonization; so I didn't mean to imply that a judge looks at a black defendant and says "I don't like the look of you boy," or something like that. I mean that this is all part of a cycle that cannot be reduced to any single individual involved - nor can it be blamed on the system per se, since the system is just doing what it does. It would take immense restructuring to change anything, and restructuring of that size is bound to have unforeseeable negative consequences elsewhere.

By cycle, I just mean that cops tend to target blacks for certain offenses because they know that blacks are more likely to commit certain offenses - and this tends to be accurate, reasons aside. So they secure more arrests and more charges by doing so, judges get more repeat offenders, and more blacks are sentenced to harsher prison time. And it's pretty well-documented that prison doesn't do much as far as rehabilitation goes, so on being released they revert to old practices and behaviors; and on top of that, members of their families have likely engaged in such behavior too in order to make up for lost income.

Focusing on just one aspect of this isn't enough, because weakening one component of the cycle means that it can be exploited more effectively at other points. So it just keeps going. There is, however, a narrative and general organization of racial optics (these are vague and abstract terms, I know) that informs this cycle, and it's very tough to make any changes at all while the narrative remains. And in some respects, that narrative may be accurate; but the power of suggestion is as powerful, if not more powerful, than telling a truthful story.

Pretty sure the video didn't show him reaching for a gun though. He might have been a piece of garbage but ???

I haven't seen a video with a good angle to determine that. Pretty telling though that in the video shot by the wife she was telling him "don't do it". I think we now have a pretty good idea of what "it" is. When dealing with someone armed and with that sort of background, I don't think you give them much benefit of the doubt about their intent.

Just remember seeing the ankle holster, him with his hands up and then a second later he got popped. The Tulsa dude had a much higher likelihood of reaching for a weapon than the Charlotte guy

It's funny how everyone seems to now have forgotten "he only had a book" and was a peaceful man blahblahblah. Zero credibility in the BLM/CNN/HuffPo/etc. narratives. Zero. Zilch. Nada. A violent armed black man was shot by a black cop when in the process of being uncooperative and so therefore time to expand the dialogue about racially charged murders by burning, looting, and shooting. I mean, you'd have to be a real fuckin scum of the earth sort to have a problem with that progression. And racist is obviously the scummiest of scum so I mean that of course.

Reactions: CiG