If Mort Divine ruled the world

Half the world is irrationally pro-Trump, the other half is irrationally anti-Trump, a few poor bastards are stuck in the middle trying to correct both sides' bullshit arguments.

This is going to be an interesting 4/8 years if it keeps up. Exhausting too.

Australian politics is still boring as shit though. Labour vs Liberal really there's no fucking difference.

Reactions: Dak
Also, I gotta say it's funny to see so-called anti-establishment, anti-politicians, anti-they're just in it for their career and money types criticising as far as I remember the first non-military official non-career politician POTUS in American history for not having enough political experience.

These retards don't seem to know what they even stand for anymore.

Reactions: Dak
He's probably been dealing with regional and national politicians with regards to his business empire, all over the world, for decades.

streep's speech was funny

tommy lee jones had to remind her how great her life is as an actor

she is defending the garbage media? like for fucks sake did all the libs forget a tad more than a decade ago they failed the country worse than Trump probably can?

5252855-image.png

I find a weird correlation between people who are defending Trump's 'retard mocking schtick' that also believe the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery

Point taken of course, but would that have been the only states' right at risk?

Certainly not, if the central conflict concerns the South's secession. So yes, you're correct that it would have affected states' rights.

But the emphasis on states' rights has emerged in the years since the Civil War, mainly as a rhetorical tool. In other words, the Civil War has become a kind of clarion call, especially for twentieth-century conservatism, to organize political support on the right (hence why you see pickup trucks sporting the Confederate flag in the name of "states' rights"). In the years leading up to the Civil War, and during it, slavery was actually seen as a primary motivating factor in going to war. If you read statements and writings from southern politicians or the secession statements from individual states, not to mention the Confederacy's own Constitution, you'll see that slavery was a major focus. The South worried not only about slavery being illegal, but they worried about the possibility of slave insurrections. They saw the North as fomenting unrest among slaves.

Of course, this needs to be clarified. While the abolitionist cause was growing in the North, the reason for opposing slavery wasn't necessarily ethical in nature. The North knew that slavery was an economic powerhouse, and a cornerstone institution in the South. As the southern states grew impatient with Northern interventions and other political disagreements, the more they threatened secession; and the North was concerned over a "free" South as a slave-holding nation.

This is just one of those historical occasions in which economic motivations happened to correspond with an ethical project.

hence why you see pickup trucks sporting the Confederate flag in the name of "states' rights"

Is that really why they do it? Thought it might have more to do with probably having family that died fighting for the south or something.

Anyway, I take most of your points, but for some reason I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the slave industry was actually unsustainable economically, has anybody you know of put this concept forward or am I just tripping?

slave industry was insanely profitable for like 3 centuries, how could you believe that? :lol:

but yeah, it's 'states' rights' aka fuck yankees

Something being profitable doesn't mean it will remain profitable forever. Not a hard concept to grasp.

But thinking back it might have actually specifically been that the slave/cotten industry wasn't sustainable.

Is that really why they do it? Thought it might have more to do with probably having family that died fighting for the south or something.

That is really why they do it - it's a contemporary political statement in favor of states' rights.

This weekend’s Ku Klux Klan rally outside the South Carolina capitol building highlights the poignancy and divisiveness inherent in flying the Confederate battle flag, a symbol often associated with racial intolerance. Predictably, Confederate apologists have trotted out the “states’ rights” explanation for the Civil War as the race-neutral reason for the South’s rebellion—thus the flag represents something other than racism. Indeed, a recent Pew Research Center poll found that, 150 years after the Civil War, 48 percent of Americans (a plurality) still assert it was mainly about states’ rights.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/20/what-many-americans-get-wrong-about-states-rights/

Anyway, I take most of your points, but for some reason I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the slave industry was actually unsustainable economically, has anybody you know of put this concept forward or am I just tripping?

I think that slavery is unsustainable if we're talking long-term; but that doesn't mean its abolition wouldn't be disastrous for individual plantations. From the perspective of nineteenth-century landowners, slavery was absolutely essential to their way of life and financial stability. Eighteenth- and nineteenth-century economics were unequipped to deal theoretically with the long-term effects of slave-labor. The historian Richard Slotkin writes that the

antimythologists of the American Age of Reason believed in the imminence of a rational republic of yeomen farmers and enlightened leaders, living amicably in the light of natural law and the Constitution. They were thereby left unprepared when the Jeffersonian republic was overcome by the Jacksonian Democracy of the western man-on-the-make, the speculator, and the wildcat banker; when racist irrationalism and a falsely conceived economics prolonged and intensified slavery in the teeth of American democratic idealism; and when men like Davy Crockett became national heroes by defining national aspiration in terms of so many bears destroyed, so much land preempted, so many trees hacked down, so many Indians and Mexicans dead in the dust.

The South was in the process of overtaking the North in economic clout prior to the war. New Orleans surpassed New York etc.

I think it's possibly more acccurate to say that the South seceded over slavery, but that the war was not over slavery.