If Mort Divine ruled the world

The methodologies may be different, but practically speaking what's the difference? Dak, stop trying to be difficult.

Butler wouldn't purport to offer any substantive truth or statistical analysis of gender, and her entire project offers nothing like what Murray's claims to. Depending on the field a scholar appeals to, audiences should expect different approaches. You're comparing apples and oranges, and you can't just throw your hands up and say "well it's all fruit!" People have the right to complain if they order orange chicken and it has no orange in it (or worse, it's sprinkled with blueberries).

If people like Butler or Coates aren't offering something that even attempts to approach truth (I'm trying to be more nuanced here), then what is it they are doing, and why are "activists" using them as references? I submit that these people are claiming to present a picture of the world "as it is", which I think can be characterized as "truth" claims. Since it is generally apparent that there can't be objective analyses of the sorts of topics they latch onto, and when they are it often runs counter, it is no wonder that even the scientific method itself is sometimes denigrated as "racist", "patriarchical", "participating in and perpetuating power structures", etc.

What are you talking about? You based your accusation that the faculty of Middlebury were attempting to restrict free speech on the article that cites this very letter. As far as I can tell, they're not trying to restrict free speech at all.

I never made any such accusation, nor even mentioned the school; I simply quoted a small portion of a news article. I specifically quoted a section of the article listing data from a large survey, which did happen to use responses on that survey from that one school as a specific example of differences in the northeast compared to the country at large.

If people like Butler or Coates aren't offering something that even attempts to approach truth (I'm trying to be more nuanced here), then what is it they are doing, and why are "activists" using them as references? I submit that these people are claiming to present a picture of the world "as it is", which I think can be characterized as "truth" claims. Since it is generally apparent that there can't be objective analyses of the sorts of topics they latch onto, and when they are it often runs counter, it is no wonder that even the scientific method itself is sometimes denigrated as "racist", "patriarchical", "participating in and perpetuating power structures", etc.

People like Butler point out chinks in science's armor. Their work is equally important. If it involves interpretive and/or speculative claims, then so be it. It doesn't make their work less valuable; it just means it's different.

I never made any such accusation, nor even mentioned the school; I simply quoted a small portion of a news article. I specifically quoted a section of the article listing data from a large survey, which did happen to use responses on that survey from that one school as a specific example of differences in the northeast compared to the country at large.

I quote:

My main interest is in the percentage of faculty either in favor of limitations on free speech, and/or at least non-committal.

Here's the central passage from your quote:

When I looked at the numbers for the private liberal arts schools of New England, however, things were different. I drilled farther into the data, focusing specifically on the academic departments of professors who signed the letter to Middlebury’s president. While I do not have data on Middlebury faculty specifically, we know which departments the signatories are from. Looking at those departments—sociology, anthropology, film and media studies, among others—almost 50 percent of faculty members from them strongly agreed that colleges and universities should prohibit speech on campus if it can be considered racist or sexist.

The "percentage" you refer to (i.e. 50%) is in reference to the number of faculty whose names appear on the letter--a letter that does not mention the prohibition of free speech.

Douglas Wahlsten, "The Malleability of Intelligence is Not Constrained by Heritability"

Abstract:

In The Bell Curve, Herrnstein and Murray claim that a high value for heritability of intelligence limits or constrains the extent to which intelligence can be increased by changing the environment.1 In this chapter it is argued that the calculated numerical value of “heritability” has no valid implications for government policies and that evidence of a nonspecific genetic influence on human mental ability places no constraint on the consequences of an improved environment. On the contrary, a very small change in environment, such as a dietary supplement, can lead to a major change in mental development, provided the change is appropriate to the specific kind of deficit that in the past has impaired development. The results of adoption studies, the intergenerational cohort effect, and effects of schooling also reveal that intelligence can be increased substantially without the need for heroic intervention.

My school unfortunately doesn't provide access to the paper, but the million dollar caveat is highlighted. What that says is a person with an IQ of X, reduced to an IQ of X-20 due to bad nutrition or upbringing, is capable of recovering back to X with fixed nutrition or treatment.

My school unfortunately doesn't provide access to the paper, but the million dollar caveat is highlighted. What that says is a person with an IQ of X, reduced to an IQ of X-20 due to bad nutrition or upbringing, is capable of recovering back to X with fixed nutrition or treatment.

That's not what it says. It says that if the correct deficit is addressed, then the subject might improve his/her intelligence by an indeterminate degree. You're the one who keeps saying that a person cannot surpass the average intelligence of his/her parents.

Here's the central passage from your quote:

The "percentage" you refer to (i.e. 50%) is in reference to the number of faculty whose names appear on the letter--a letter that does not mention the prohibition of free speech.

No it's not, and the section quoted said as much. The 50% figure is the aggregate responses on the HERI survey line item about prohibiting racist and sexist speech, from all responding professors in the departments that those faculty that signed the letter came from. That number (a) isn't tied to the number of signees on the letter and (b) isn't referring to the content of the letter. Of course, as I said before, I do not see that level of detail in the data available in their press release. You can request the original data from them (HERI) for personal analyses, which is what I assume this author did.

That's pretty much what I just said. I'm saying they can surpass their parents, just not by that much. Being able to surpass your parents by one standard deviation due to strong education and upbringing, when your neighbor can maintain the same IQ without any attempt at improvement, means you're still at a permanent deficit due to biology. If the paper does not even quantify the magnitude of education's ability to improve IQ ("by an indeterminate degree"), then there's no way to say that the right upbringing is sufficient to produce a person of top-level intelligence.

EDIT: re Einherjar

No it's not, and the section quoted said as much. The 50% figure is the aggregate responses on the HERI survey line item about prohibiting racist and sexist speech, from all responding professors in the departments that those faculty that signed the letter came from. That number (a) isn't tied to the number of signees on the letter and (b) isn't referring to the content of the letter. Of course, as I said before, I do not see that level of detail in the data available in their press release. You can request the original data from them (HERI) for personal analyses, which is what I assume this author did.

I see what he's saying now.

He's saying that of those who signed the letter, about 50% also told the survey that they support restricting speech that could be classified as racist or otherwise objectionable. Seems like an intentionally vague article presented in an intentionally vague way. It would be helpful to see how he got that information, or if he's assuming that information based on the letter itself (which, based on the article, he very well could be).

That's pretty much what I just said. I'm saying they can surpass their parents, just not by that much. Being able to surpass your parents by one standard deviation due to strong education and upbringing, when your neighbor can maintain the same IQ without any attempt at improvement, means you're still at a permanent deficit due to biology. If the paper does not even quantify the magnitude of education's ability to improve IQ ("by an indeterminate degree"), then there's no way to say that the right upbringing is sufficient to produce a person of top-level intelligence.

EDIT: re Einherjar

It isn't really what you just said. I'm saying the improvement could be indeterminate. You're saying there's a hereditary limit. The point of Wahlsten's article is that heredity imposes no necessary limit.

I see what he's saying now.

He's saying that of those who signed the letter, about 50% also told the survey that they support restricting speech that could be classified as racist or otherwise objectionable. Seems like an intentionally vague article presented in an intentionally vague way. It would be helpful to see how he got that information, or if he's assuming that information based on the letter itself (which, based on the article, he very well could be).

Not quite. In analyzing the data from the HERI survey (which again, I'm having to assume he requested the raw data to get this level of detail, since it isn't in the press release I found and linked to), he pulled the sum of responses on that line item in the survey (which does use the language "prohibit") from all professors in the various departments that the select group that signed the letter are members of. It's very particular language that is common to reading statistical analyses. I have to read these all the time for my education, so while I don't have too much difficulty parsing them, I will agree that the nature of this specificity isn't really in line with the general nature of the article.

As an example of his methodology of analysis: Imagine that you were on faculty at BU, and the entire school faculty took that HERI survey, and at some point yourself (from the English department), and a single professor from the sociology department, the psychology department, and the philosophy department signed a similar letter. I then, to see the degree to which "positive attitudes on prohibitions on free speech" are a cultural thing within said departments, I look at the aggregate responses from those 4 departments on that line item, which may total over 100 professors combined, while only 4 signed the letter.

Not quite. In analyzing the data from the HERI survey (which again, I'm having to assume he requested the raw data to get this level of detail, since it isn't in the press release I found and linked to), he pulled the sum of responses on that line item in the survey (which does use the language "prohibit") from all professors in the various departments that the select group that signed the letter are members of. It's very particular language that is common to reading statistical analyses. I have to read these all the time for my education, so while I don't have too much difficulty parsing them, I will agree that the nature of this specificity isn't really in line with the general nature of the article.

As an example of his methodology of analysis: Imagine that you were on faculty at BU, and the entire school faculty took that HERI survey, and at some point yourself (from the English department), and a single professor from the sociology department, the psychology department, and the philosophy department signed a similar letter. I then, to see the degree to which "positive attitudes on prohibitions on free speech" are a cultural thing within said departments, I look at the aggregate responses from those 4 departments on that line item, which may total over 100 professors combined, while only 4 signed the letter.

Okay, I see. Thanks.

So why is Middlebury college indicative of a trend across the Northeast? I could be misremembering that detail, as I'm not referring back to the previous page. Middlebury is one of the most liberal colleges in the country, so it could also be safe to say that its statistics represent an outlier, not the norm.

Okay, I see. Thanks.

So why is Middlebury college indicative of a trend across the Northeast? I could be misremembering that detail, as I'm not referring back to the previous page. Middlebury is one of the most liberal colleges in the country, so it could also be safe to say that its statistics represent an outlier, not the norm.

I think? he was trying to prove a point about the culture. It may indeed be an outlier in the strength of response. However, in the aggregate on that press release I linked - which was before the PC stuff really hit "peak" (the HERI survey rotates that item in and out for some reason, so it wasn't in the most recent iteration), over 60% answered in the affirmative to some degree across all faculty across the country.

A portion of Thomas Sowell's review of The Bell Curve:

[Herrnstein and Murray] seem to conclude… that… biological inheritance of IQ… among members of the general society may also explain IQ differences between different racial and ethnic groups…. Such a conclusion goes… much beyond what the facts will support….

[T]he greatest black-white differences are not on the questions which presuppose middle-class vocabulary or experiences, but on abstract questions such as spatial perceptual ability…. [Herrnstein and Murray’s] conclusion that this “phenomenon seems peculiarly concentrated in comparisons of ethnic groups” is simply wrong. When European immigrant groups in the United States scored below the national average on mental tests, they scored lowest on the abstract parts of those tests. So did white mountaineer children in the United States tested back in the early 1930s. So did canal boat children in Britain, and so did rural British children compared to their urban counterparts, at a time before Britain had any significant non-white population. So did Gaelic-speaking children as compared to English-speaking children in the Hebrides Islands. This is neither a racial nor an ethnic peculiarity. It is a characteristic found among low-scoring groups of European as well as African ancestry.

In short, groups outside the cultural mainstream of contemporary Western society tend to do their worst on abstract questions, whatever their race might be….

Perhaps the strongest evidence against a genetic basis for intergroup differences in IQ is that the average level of mental test performance has changed very significantly for whole populations over time and, moreover, particular ethnic groups within the population have changed their relative positions during a period when there was very little intermarriage to change the genetic makeup of these groups….

Perhaps the most dramatic changes were those in the mental test performances of Jews in the United States. The results of World War I mental tests conducted among American soldiers born in Russia–the great majority of whom were Jews–showed such low scores as to cause Carl Brigham, creator of the Scholastic Aptitude Test, to declare that these results “disprove the popular belief that the Jew is highly intelligent.” Within a decade, however, Jews in the United States were scoring above the national average on mental tests, and the data in The Bell Curveindicate that they are now far above the national average in IQ.

Strangely, Herrnstein and Murray refer to “folklore” that “Jews and other immigrant groups were thought to be below average in intelligence. ” It was neither folklore nor anything as subjective as thoughts. It was based on hard data, as hard as any data in The Bell Curve. These groups repeatedly tested below average on the mental tests of the World War I era, both in the army and in civilian life. For Jews, it is clear that later tests showed radically different results–during an era when there was very little intermarriage to change the genetic makeup of American Jews….

Herrnstein and Murray openly acknowledge such rises in IQ….But they seem not to see how crucially it undermines the case for a genetic explanation of interracial IQ differences. They say:

“The national averages have in fact changed by amounts that are comparable to the fifteen or so IQ points separating blacks and whites in America. To put it another way, on the average, whites today differ from whites, say, two generations ago as much as whites today differ from blacks today. Given their size and speed, the shifts in time necessarily have been due more to changes in the environment than to changes in the genes.”

While this open presentation of evidence against the genetic basis of interracial IQ differences is admirable, the failure to draw the logical inference seems puzzling. Blacks today are just as racially different from whites of two generations ago as they are from whites today. Yet the data suggest that the number of questions that blacks answer correctly on IQ tests today is very similar to the number answered correctly by past generations of whites. If race A differs from race B in IQ, and two generations of race A differ from each other by the same amount, where is the logic in suggesting that the IQ differences are even partly racial?

Reactions: Einherjar86
It isn't really what you just said. I'm saying the improvement could be indeterminate. You're saying there's a hereditary limit. The point of Wahlsten's article is that heredity imposes no necessary limit.

Can you quote/describe the portion that mentions how he determined that there is no hereditary limit on intelligence? He cites adoption studies as one example in the abstract, but several studies have come out since then showing that identical twins have more correlated IQs than a child with an adoptive sibling. All he seems to say is that adoption/upbringing can influence intelligence, which as I've said multiple times now is obviously true, just not necessarily the most important factor determining an upper limit.

Reactions: Dak
Regarding the above and race, fwiw I think race alone is far to broad to make any kind of conclusions for an entire race. Nigerian immigrants in the UK perform approximately as well as Chinese and Indians do, for example, and even if the UK selects only the best-performing immigrants as the US does, we still know that within a given race there are dozens of ethnicities with potentially tens of thousands of years of evolution and cultural/environmental pressures separating them.

I don't know that it's fair to compare whites of two generations ago to blacks of today though in terms of IQ scores. The Flynn effect itself isn't even really understood; we know that people score better with each generation, but we don't really know if that's because of familiarity, local education systems, people actually becoming biologically more intelligent with each generation, or something else. The score is inherently determined based on the relative performance of its participants at a given time. If anything it just shows a limitation of using IQ to describe all forms of intelligence.

Reactions: Dak
I think? he was trying to prove a point about the culture. It may indeed be an outlier in the strength of response. However, in the aggregate on that press release I linked - which was before the PC stuff really hit "peak" (the HERI survey rotates that item in and out for some reason, so it wasn't in the most recent iteration), over 60% answered in the affirmative to some degree across all faculty across the country.

The HERI survey specifically says: "Colleges should prohibit racist/sexist speech on campus."

It is entirely reasonable that faculty would respond affirmatively to this, as it doesn't specify that this speech is coming from invited speakers. It could just as easily refer to graffiti sprayed on dormitory walls--and why wouldn't faculty object to that?

The question itself is ambiguous and encourages an affirmative reply, and one that cannot be automatically conflated with the restriction of free speech.

Can you quote/describe the portion that mentions how he determined that there is no hereditary limit on intelligence? He cites adoption studies as one example in the abstract, but several studies have come out since then showing that identical twins have more correlated IQs than a child with an adoptive sibling. All he seems to say is that adoption/upbringing can influence intelligence, which as I've said multiple times now is obviously true, just not necessarily the most important factor determining an upper limit.

No, I can't quote the essay. It's not available as an essay, only as a book chapter, and I can't copy/paste from it. The evidence is there, as far as I'm concerned. Why do you feel that genetics is necessarily the most important factor in determining an upper bound? You seem quite confident on this matter, so either it's obvious to you "because genetics"... or there's some evidence you have that reinforces that assumption.

:rofl:
Vicky Pryce, an economist, former government adviser and author of Why Women Need Quotas, said Allan was right that men would have to work harder, but that was a good thing.

“There are so few women in senior positions, and for a woman to rise they obviously have to prove they are really good, and often better than the man,” she said. “It’s so much harder to get there because the path is so much more difficult.

What we’re really talking about is that people should be judged on merit, so having more women encouraged to stay and compete increases meritocracy rather than decreases it. But yes, men will have a wider range to compete against, which can only be a good thing for the economy.”

http://archive.is/zqgIl#selection-1409.0-1417.280

More dumbass students being pumped out looney lefty universities

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/03/study_shows_black_men_are_seen.html
WASHINGTON - Young black men are seen as taller, more muscular and more threatening than comparably sized white men, a bias that may prompt more aggressive law enforcement response towards them, a new psychological studyshows.
The researchers noted that Centers for Disease Control biometric data says that average non-Hispanic white and black men over age 20 have the same average weight - 199.3 lbs. - but white men are a centimeter taller, on average.

whoa. gotta see this. we're biologically the same size yet they got like 3 inches on our dicks?

"Participants also believed that the black men were more capable of causing harm in a hypothetical altercation and, troublingly, that police would be more justified in using force to subdue them, even if the men were unarmed," said Wilson.

obvious problem for fairness

But if whupping children kept black people out of prison or safe from abusive cops, there would be no mass incarceration or police brutality. If beatings were a prerequisite for success, black people would be ruling the world.

Before white America enslaved millions of Africans,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact, there is no evidence that ritualistic physical punishment of children existed in pre-colonial West African cultures, where children were viewed as sacred and purer than adult

Africa is rife with primary sources, amiright?

It is a European idea that children are “born in sin” and should have the devil beaten out of them with a “rod of correction.”

It's a christian idea, no? This wasn't really practiced until the late 19th and early 20th centuries which was obviously global and not just European.

It should not be surprising, then, that black American slaves

pssst slaves were not Americans

The truth is that white supremacy has done a masterful job of getting black people to continue its trauma work and call it “love.”

:lol: :lol:

And worse, it erodes our children’s humanity and co-signs the slave master’s logic that you have to hit a black body to make it comply.

oh, this idea originated with slave owners? :lol:

Especially as we brace for the possibility of more systemic racial devastation

it's gonna get worse than when africans were slaves? jesus :lol:

This is the logic of an about to be or already doctorate academic. just baffling they can make it this far up the ladder and be successful in spite of it

This is one of the saddest untold stories in American history — the way in which the victims of racist oppression and violence have hurt the bodies of their own children in an effort to protect them from a hostile society.

this is actually interesting and maybe the only worthwhile line in this piece