If Mort Divine ruled the world

It takes me less than a minute to type resposnes like these. Finding a bunch of references and carefully constructing arguments, all or most of which will probably ignored, takes far longer and for probably no greater benefit.

I wish you would because it deserves a good discussion on here beyond Argisms. :saint:

I watched it. I'm not sure what you want to discuss. I was aware that it sucks to be gay in predominantly Islamic countries. What's the argument--that Islam is definitively worse than Christianity or Judaism?

I'm just curious, what do you make of the stat that more Muslims in America are more tolerant of homosexuality than American Evangelicals?

What I make of it is, I'm glad the American Evangelicals aren't in power.

The only reason I brought up initially the comparison was to rub TechBarb the wrong way since he has said multiple times that he prefers Muslims to Jews and Christians and thinks they're much less violent people than the other two, which is obviously ridiculous.

I didn't have any specific discussion in mind when I posted that video either, after all this is the Mort thread, eg shitposting.

But if I were gay in the middle east I'd move immediately to Israel if I couldn't make it out. For good reason. Islam is garbage and though I support reformers, we shouldn't have to go through it with them, we as a civilization did that already with all the other nutjob maniacs of Judaism and Christianity.

What I make of it is, I'm glad the American Evangelicals aren't in power.

But this isn't the perspective you were originally espousing, is it?

You said that Islam is definitely worse than Christianity and Judaism, yet in the West we find that Muslims are often better than Christian subgroups. My point has always been that you can't reduce this to religion--geography and history play an important role. Even speaking "practically," it doesn't make sense to say that Islam is worse than any other major monotheistic religion.

We don't have to discuss or argue about it, I just found it distasteful to sit through a video that underscores, in explicit detail, the atrocities suffered by gay men in Islamic countries. You can tell a lot from tone, and that video's intention is to inflame its viewers toward Islam without taking into account any geopolitical or cultural history.

You said that Islam is definitely worse than Christianity and Judaism, yet in the West we find that Muslims are often better than Christian subgroups

I definitely disagree with this. How does anybody find that to be true in the west? In America perhaps, but the west? That's contentious to say the least. Let's not forget that the main source of terror for Muslims living in the west are other Muslims, so without even leaving the Islamic community you're already wrong.

Evangelicals may preach intolerance, but they don't throw acid in women's faces, commit honour killings, convince rape victims to go through Sharia rather than the police (which fundamentally means no justice for the victim), mutilate the genitals of girls, marry off children to older men, hide terrorism suspects from police, there are even stories of women going to mosques in western dress and being bullied into covering up by the men.

We can play the ping pong game of religious retardation all day, but I see quite clearly which faith is the global threat right now and it certainly isn't Christianity. Ask the apostates fleeing to the west.

My point has always been that you can't reduce this to religion--geography and history play an important role. Even speaking "practically," it doesn't make sense to say that Islam is worse than any other major monotheistic religion.

Well many ex-Muslims disagree with you. Of course it is not 100% religion, but you also cannot ignore the fact that Islam is a warrior faith which sets it apart from all other monotheistic faiths which are still violent but are much more furtile for reformation into a modern way of interpretation.

It makes perfect sense to say it's the worst. You can come to this conclusion via many lines of thought. You can judge it by its founder, his life and actions. You can judge it by its concepts of jihad which teaches that the only way to Heaven is by killing non-Muslims. You can judge it by Sharia. You can compare the Hadith to Jesuism, essentially the teachings of Muhammad vs the teachings of Jesus. You can judge it by the fact that the caliphate is still an active utopianism existing within Islam (whereas Christendom is not) and so on.

We don't have to discuss or argue about it, I just found it distasteful to sit through a video that underscores, in explicit detail, the atrocities suffered by gay men in Islamic countries. You can tell a lot from tone, and that video's intention is to inflame its viewers toward Islam without taking into account any geopolitical or cultural history.

Maybe you're just a little sensitive to "muh Islamophobia" or some other progressive nonsense?

Actually the intention of the video was specifically a response video to a LGBT pro-Islam support movement of some description. In that context, the tone makes perfect sense. I'd expect the same from a video addressing black supporters of the KKK. Islam is not just opposed to that community, it violently annihilates it wherever it rules and reviles it actively wherever the Islamic culture takes root.

Last edited:
I definitely disagree with this. How does anybody find that to be true in the west? In America perhaps, but the west? That's contentious to say the least. Let's not forget that the main source of terror for Muslims living in the west are other Muslims, so without even leaving the Islamic community you're already wrong.

Evangelicals may preach intolerance, but they don't throw acid in women's faces, commit honour killings, convince rape victims to go through Sharia rather than the police (which fundamentally means no justice for the victim), mutilate the genitals of girls, marry off children to older men, hide terrorism suspects from police, there are even stories of women going to mosques in western dress and being bullied into covering up by the men.

We can play the ping pong game of religious retardation all day, but I see quite clearly which faith is the global threat right now and it certainly isn't Christianity. Ask the apostates fleeing to the west.

You're still making the error of conflating difference in religion and difference in geography. I'm saying that in the West, Muslims are no worse than any given subset of Christianity. In the West, you don't find rampant honor killings or rapings. Does that mean they don't happen? Of course not--but then, Christians commit crimes as well.

My point is that in the Western world, Muslims refute the notion that Islam is worse than Christianity.

Well many ex-Muslims disagree with you. Of course it is not 100% religion, but you also cannot ignore the fact that Islam is a warrior faith which sets it apart from all other monotheistic faiths which are still violent but are much more furtile for reformation into a modern way of interpretation.

And many current Muslims disagree with you. Neither of those arguments hold much sway.

It makes perfect sense to say it's the worst. You can come to this conclusion via many lines of thought. You can judge it by its founder, his life and actions. You can judge it by its concepts of jihad which teaches that the only way to Heaven is by killing non-Muslims. You can judge it by Sharia. You can compare the Hadith to Jesuism, essentially the teachings of Muhammad vs the teachings of Jesus. You can judge it by the fact that the caliphate is still an active utopianism existing within Islam (whereas Christendom is not) and so on.

The Hadith was compiled over a century after Mohammad's death. It's about as rational to equate the Hadith with the actual utterances of Muhammad as it is to equate the Gospels with the biography of Jesus Christ. You ever play the game "Telephone"?

It doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, because you insist on universalizing the examples of non-Western countries as the standard of "true Islam," or some such nonsense. You cannot prove to me that this is accurate, nor even begin to put forth a convincing argument. If you think you have an argument that there's a "true" Islam, then I have an argument for you that Westboro Baptism is "true" Christianity.

Maybe you're just a little sensitive to "muh Islamophobia" or some other progressive nonsense?

Maybe I am--but if so it's because I have problems with shoddy arguments and online videos that appeal to pathos.

Christianity used to be violent, Islam has always been and still is violent. Less pronounced in places where still a minority, but clearly they're working on that. Pull your head out of the sand dude

You're still making the error of conflating difference in religion and difference in geography. I'm saying that in the West, Muslims are no worse than any given subset of Christianity. In the West, you don't find rampant honor killings or rapings. Does that mean they don't happen? Of course not--but then, Christians commit crimes as well.

My point is that in the Western world, Muslims refute the notion that Islam is worse than Christianity.

No they don't. Not even close. Simply look at statistics from Germany showing that immigrants from Islamic countries dominate the top 3 positions in pretty much all crime statistics.

Yes Christians commit crimes, but I notice you purposely used vague language there, do they commit crimes that are specifically Christian in nature or culturally typical of Christians in nature? Are you conflating murdering apostates with a Christian stealing a purse?

Btw, another objective standard with which to say Islam is worse; there are penalties for leaving Islam ranging from extreme shunning (also practiced by radical cults like Jehovah's Witnesses) to actual murder.

And many current Muslims disagree with you. Neither of those arguments hold much sway.

Well of course Muslims would say that, they aren't trying to leave Islam or defy Sharia or be queer etc. That's when the trouble starts. Also I don't think many Muslims would disagree that Muhammad was a warrior and it would be strange for a Muslim to denounce Muhammad as the central figure of Islam, so... How would many Muslims disagree with me when I say that Islam is a warrior faith?

Over 90% of references to jihad in the Qu'ran and Hadith refer to it as a means of holy war against non-Muslims, the rest refers to inner struggles. So again, warrior faith.

The Hadith was compiled over a century after Mohammad's death. It's about as rational to equate the Hadith with the actual utterances of Muhammad as it is to equate the Gospels with the biography of Jesus Christ. You ever play the game "Telephone"?

See, this is a fundamental problem with debating you on religion. You're speaking about religion as if the 1.6 billion Muslims around the world agree with you and also think the Hadith probably isn't the actual teachings and life of their prophet. I'd dare you to go to a Muslim neighbourhood even just in the west and say something that naive.

Of course it's probably inaccurate bullshit, but that's totally irrelevant to the believers obviously. Shouldn't have to point out something that obvious.

In almost every single Islamic nation the Hadith is used as a guide in how to interpret things that aren't directly addressed by Sharia. If a crime happens but there is no precedent in Sharia for punishment already, they go to the Hadith and find an interpretation no matter how small to find the outcome they should see realised. Hence the often disgusting and bizarre punishments.

It doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, because you insist on universalizing the examples of non-Western countries as the standard of "true Islam," or some such nonsense. You cannot prove to me that this is accurate, nor even begin to put forth a convincing argument. If you think you have an argument that there's a "true" Islam, then I have an argument for you that Westboro Baptism is "true" Christianity.

Feel free to make that argument, you'll only be embarrassing yourself honestly. I haven't said anything about a true Islam so I'm not sure where you're yanking that from. It doesn't have to be a true or false anything. Hell, it's the Shiites and Sunnis that call each other fake Muslims, yet whenever a Muslim is offended apparently they speak for all 1.6 billion. Convenient.

What matters is how the average Muslim globally views things and does things. This includes what they're enabling via silence or even often knowingly harbouring terrorists. Take for example every left-wing Islamic apologists favourite example; Indonesia, home to the largest population of Muslims. Are there no problems of radical Islam in Indonesia? The Christmas Day massacre? The church bombings? The thuggish suppression of Christians and atheists? The fact that shelters specifically for LGBT people had to be set up because they were being harassed and beaten up by Muslims in the streets?

Even in the best examples of Islamic society, the culture of Islam terrorises and oppresses people. You can't ignore it. Well I can't anyway.

Maybe I am--but if so it's because I have problems with shoddy arguments and online videos that appeal to pathos.

If this is truly the case how do you sleep at night knowing you apologise for a fascistic and repressive faith with such shoddy classics as "that's like saying WBC represents Christianity" lol?

No they don't. Not even close. Simply look at statistics from Germany showing that immigrants from Islamic countries dominate the top 3 positions in pretty much all crime statistics.

Yes Christians commit crimes, but I notice you purposely used vague language there, do they commit crimes that are specifically Christian in nature or culturally typical of Christians in nature? Are you conflating murdering apostates with a Christian stealing a purse?

Have you bothered to look at the statistics across Europe, not just in selected countries like Germany and Sweden?

And as far as violent crime in America goes, I believe that it's committed at higher rates by domestics than by immigrants.

Btw, another objective standard with which to say Islam is worse; there are penalties for leaving Islam ranging from extreme shunning (also practiced by radical cults like Jehovah's Witnesses) to actual murder.

Apostasy is a crime in certain countries. Are American or European Muslims legally shunned or murdered for renouncing their religion? If not, then it doesn't seem very objective to me.

Well of course Muslims would say that, they aren't trying to leave Islam or defy Sharia or be queer etc. That's when the trouble starts. Also I don't think many Muslims would disagree that Muhammad was a warrior and it would be strange for a Muslim to denounce Muhammad as the central figure of Islam, so... How would many Muslims disagree with me when I say that Islam is a warrior faith?

Because it arose in a time of turmoil? Sure, it was born in violence and dissent. But that doesn't make the Hadith an accurate account of Muhammad's words and life. It's a political document associated with the foundation of the then-legitimate caliphate.

I'm not denying the violent history of Islam, no more than I would deny the violent history of Christianity. I am insisting that, in both cases, documents such as the Hadith, or the Nicene Creed, are as much political documents as they are religious.

See, this is a fundamental problem with debating you on religion. You're speaking about religion as if the 1.6 billion Muslims around the world agree with you and also think the Hadith probably isn't the actual teachings and life of their prophet. I'd dare you to go to a Muslim neighbourhood even just in the west and say something that naive.

I'm sure plenty of Muslims do think that, just like plenty of Christians believe the Gospels are the accurate account of Christ's life. I'm not naive in that regard.

I also believe, however, that plenty of Muslims view the writings of the Hadith, even if they are the accurate statements of Muhammad, to be historically and culturally conditioned beliefs--that is, to perhaps be irrelevant for a more modern time and place. Christians and Jews are able to do this with their holy books.

I think it's possibly naive of you to assume that all Muslims are mindless drones that don't question certain passages of their faith.

In almost every single Islamic nation the Hadith is used as a guide in how to interpret things that aren't directly addressed by Sharia. If a crime happens but there is no precedent in Sharia for punishment already, they go to the Hadith and find an interpretation no matter how small to find the outcome they should see realised. Hence the often disgusting and bizarre punishments.

Again, turn your gaze on Western Muslims for a moment (not to mention the millions of Muslims in Muslim countries who also disagree with the institution of sharia law).

You demonize a religion yet simultaneously acknowledge that millions of Muslims disagree with its various practiced forms. You seem to think that apostasy is the only way of relieving ourselves from Islamic terrorism. Do I really have to tell you that this isn't true? Do you really think it's impossible for a Muslim to believe while actively augmenting her faith in specific articles? Are you really so fearful that any faithful Muslim scares the shit out of you?

Because that's what you sound like.

Feel free to make that argument, you'll only be embarrassing yourself honestly. I haven't said anything about a true Islam so I'm not sure where you're yanking that from. It doesn't have to be a true or false anything. Hell, it's the Shiites and Sunnis that call each other fake Muslims, yet whenever a Muslim is offended apparently they speak for all 1.6 billion. Convenient.

What matters is how the average Muslim globally views things and does things. This includes what they're enabling via silence or even often knowingly harbouring terrorists. Take for example every left-wing Islamic apologists favourite example; Indonesia, home to the largest population of Muslims. Are there no problems of radical Islam in Indonesia? The Christmas Day massacre? The church bombings? The thuggish suppression of Christians and atheists? The fact that shelters specifically for LGBT people had to be set up because they were being harassed and beaten up by Muslims in the streets?

Even in the best examples of Islamic society, the culture of Islam terrorises and oppresses people. You can't ignore it. Well I can't anyway.

You've constructed an implicit spectrum in your argument of either total apostasy or fanatic belief. You've left no middle ground. Any argument that acknowledges the existence of progressive Muslims in the "non-Muslim world" (since this is how we talk about these things) is automatically irrelevant because it forces you to reconcile with the problematic reality that Muslims can in fact be tolerant, peaceful individuals, and that there's nothing conflicting for them about feeling this way (and I do know Muslims, so I know this to be true).

Maybe you'll say "of course it's true, no need to point out such a blatantly obvious point"--but it is necessary because you're refusing that it's a possibility, even if you don't realize you're doing that.

If this is truly the case how do you sleep at night knowing you apologise for a fascistic and repressive faith with such shoddy classics as "that's like saying WBC represents Christianity" lol?

Oh, another classic! "How do you sleep at night?" I sleep knowing that there are so many exceptions to the absolutist nonsense you trod out when it comes to Islamic violence.

Many muslims are good, but of those that are bad, many are because of Islam.

There are many people who happen to be Christian that are bad, but few because of Christianity.

Have you bothered to look at the statistics across Europe, not just in selected countries like Germany and Sweden?

And as far as violent crime in America goes, I believe that it's committed at higher rates by domestics than by immigrants.

Okay great, I'm happy to hear it. Not sure how it's relevant, as I never said Muslims are more criminal than everyone else.

Why is it that Germany and Sweden are discounted? If I bother to find another EU country to back up my position will that also be discounted?

Apostasy is a crime in certain countries. Are American or European Muslims legally shunned or murdered for renouncing their religion? If not, then it doesn't seem very objective to me.

Uh, legally? What are you on about? In most Muslim countries shunning or murder for apostasy isn't legally enforced (or if it is, it's irrelevant as these things hardly ever reach the courts due to embarrassment on the part of the family) but culturally enforced and yes it happens in the west, the murdering less so (but still it happens, in fact there are cases of people fleeing to the west only to be murdered later by family members who fly to the west just to do so) but the shunning most certainly is very common. I have a Muslim friend who hasn't spoken to his parents and older siblings in nearly a decade.

Because it arose in a time of turmoil? Sure, it was born in violence and dissent. But that doesn't make the Hadith an accurate account of Muhammad's words and life. It's a political document associated with the foundation of the then-legitimate caliphate.

Again, a useless point. Tell the 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide that the Hadith isn't an accurate account of Muhammad's words and life. They're the ones that believe it is so.

I'm not denying the violent history of Islam, no more than I would deny the violent history of Christianity. I am insisting that, in both cases, documents such as the Hadith, or the Nicene Creed, are as much political documents as they are religious.

Yes, and...? Islam overwhelmingly still grants supreme authority to the Hadith, which is a major part of the problem with Islam. As a faith it is entirely unwilling to shed it's more barbaric customs and traditions. Any attempt to actually reform Islam has always been met with violence.

I also believe, however, that plenty of Muslims view the writings of the Hadith, even if they are the accurate statements of Muhammad, to be historically and culturally conditioned beliefs--that is, to perhaps be irrelevant for a more modern time and place. Christians and Jews are able to do this with their holy books.

Well, feel free to actually prove that, because that's news to me and religion has been my principle interest for over a decade now and I've never heard of any great amount of Muslims that essentially dismiss the Hadith as an important component to practicing Islam. Personally I think you're pulling that our of your ass, which is why you prefaced it as a belief on your part.

I think it's possibly naive of you to assume that all Muslims are mindless drones that don't question certain passages of their faith.

When have I said anything to that effect? I said and have said before specifically that the main source of terror in the Muslim community is other Muslims. Muslim women who want to engage in liberal fashion, goes to a mosque and is bullied by the men there. OF COURSE I know that there are Muslims who question bits of the Qu'ran and Hadith, but the point is they're trapped by a culture into either silence or enablism. If they leave? Their life is shattered and even ended.

Again, turn your gaze on Western Muslims for a moment (not to mention the millions of Muslims in Muslim countries who also disagree with the institution of sharia law).

You demonize a religion yet simultaneously acknowledge that millions of Muslims disagree with its various practiced forms. You seem to think that apostasy is the only way of relieving ourselves from Islamic terrorism. Do I really have to tell you that this isn't true? Do you really think it's impossible for a Muslim to believe while actively augmenting her faith in specific articles? Are you really so fearful that any faithful Muslim scares the shit out of you?

Because that's what you sound like.

Well, I'm not particularly interested in how you're interpreting how I talk, let that be known. You see fear in others where you feel passion yourself.

I do believe in Islamic reformation personally and actually faithful religious people in general alarm me to some degree, but Islam is objectively the main global religious problem. Objectively. Christians and Jews are not driving trucks through crowds or beheading priests in cathedrals on behalf of Allah. I'm sorry that your post-modernist worldview won't allow you to see things clearly.

I wish individuals like Zeba Khan, Tariq Ramadan or Maajid Nawaz were the voices that held sway over the Islamic world, but it's not the case.

Instead you have Muslims mobilised in large numbers by radical Imams and community agitators (as well as genuinely reactionary Muslims acting on their own) when things like the Muhammad drawing controversies happened. Charlie Hebdoe, the Danish cartoonist, Theo van Gogh and so on, actions often committed because voices of influence aren't moderate.

*Sharia law is a double-negative btw, not to be that guy but...

You've constructed an implicit spectrum in your argument of either total apostasy or fanatic belief. You've left no middle ground. Any argument that acknowledges the existence of progressive Muslims in the "non-Muslim world" (since this is how we talk about these things) is automatically irrelevant because it forces you to reconcile with the problematic reality that Muslims can in fact be tolerant, peaceful individuals, and that there's nothing conflicting for them about feeling this way (and I do know Muslims, so I know this to be true).

Maybe you'll say "of course it's true, no need to point out such a blatantly obvious point"--but it is necessary because you're refusing that it's a possibility, even if you don't realize you're doing that.

Uhh. How is that true at all? I haven't created that dichotomy, you have. You're projecting some kind of bigoted "muh Islamophobia" narrative onto me when I haven't once done so myself.

Let's not forget that the main source of terror for Muslims living in the west are other Muslims

I said that^ in my earlier response. Did you think I was implying that radical Islam oppresses itself there? The moderates are always oppressed by the rest, it's true of any violent ideology.
Well of course Muslims would say that, they aren't trying to leave Islam or defy Sharia or be queer etc. That's when the trouble starts.

Then I said this^ did you think I was saying radical Islamists are defying Sharia? That wouldn't make sense, unless you consider that I was talking about moderates.

Oh, another classic! "How do you sleep at night?" I sleep knowing that there are so many exceptions to the absolutist nonsense you trod out when it comes to Islamic violence.

What absolutism? You don't seem to have actually read anything I've written and are just operating based on how your emotions project onto my position. What the fuck? I hate to keep bringing up your emotions here but nowhere have I created a dichotomy of apostate vs radical.

Islam would do good to study the models of Bosnia/Herzegovina and Kosovo imo.

Last edited:
Simply put, if you cannot leave the religion, it is shit and as it stands you can leave all other monotheistic faiths and so Islam ranks as the worst. For to not be able to leave is to be trapped. It's the total and fundamental negation of consent and therefore freedom.

Weird that I should have to point this out to an academic leftist --- oh wait not really. :cool:

I've read everything you've written, and many of your comments implicitly construct Islam along a binary spectrum of fanaticism or apostasy. You don't appear to even think about Western Muslims, and your perspective of Muslims in non-Western countries is one of total victimization. You leave room for only faith or apostasy, nothing more.

It's weird that I have to explain this to you--oh wait, not really. :rolleyes:

You simplify the notion of objectivity to an absurd degree, and it's completely worthless trying to challenge you on it. I know this, so I'm not sure why I bother.

Also, you should maybe look more into historic criticism of the Hadith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Hadith