If Mort Divine ruled the world

Sounds like denial to me tbh, many of my conservative boomer relatives are big on Qanon stuff. The first time an uncle asked me if I thought it was legit I had to contain my laughter knowing a retarded 4chan meme had spread so far.

Oh I have at least one relative who thinks it's legit. I've challenged him everytime he makes a prediction that fails but of course X didn't happen because of "new developments" that happened "behind the scenes" which he knows about because of his "sources". It's both sad and cringe.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
My ulterior motive is to destroy higher education - particularly all institutions of prestige - so I acknowledge that I may have a bias, but I don't think standardized exams do all that much to help spread education in an efficient way. Despite the existence of the SAT, the lower ~third of admitted students at an ordinary school end up dropping out regardless, and there is so much noise in differentiating a rank-100 college from, say, a rank-250 college that it really doesn't matter where you go to undergrad relative to field of study, individual study ethic, accomplishments, and intelligence. Class examinations will do a plenty good job on their own separating the retards from the decent students. And the GRE is basically totally worthless, most professors will tell you that GPA, publications, and good extra-curriculars outweigh it.

Reactions: Dak
GRE can be used to chop an application stack down to a manageable size, but beyond that it doesn't yield much selectivity. However, it's hilarious that they are doing this right after the report they commissioned recommended otherwise. GPAs are becoming worthless as a metric due to grade inflation, so what else is left? Extracurriculars tell you how much money the parents have. Hmmm.

I might be using extra-curriculars broadly. Loading up your application with charity, sports, etc is certainly puffery, and basically exists to either 1) show your willingness to work unpaid and be compliant, or 2) justify admittance by creating a story for admissions officers to point to for high-privilege students.

The specific example I had in mind was a brother who had a near-perfect GPA in computer engineering from the same low-tier local college I attended, who got into a top ~5 PhD program because he showed his future PI various programs he had written in his free time (many going back to his homeschooling). The PI told him that without all that extra work, the GPA and even letters of rec would not have been enough on their own. My dad never attended graduate school but got a strong letter of recommendation from a professor for doing similar, which helped him get a job at NASA straight out of college. While there is all sorts of legal/signaling bullshit that goes into college admissions, the advisers and employers on the front lines have plenty of reasons (and metrics by which) to disregard the fluff and determine real potential value.

https://psyarxiv.com/qc8sk/

EYrDNxMXsAEByaW

male-feminist-comic.png

I don't see the point in making this association.

The study is correlating signaling with long-term mating prospects; the meme is about predation. You're suggesting that predators will present as potential partners for long-term mating, when in fact they're only out for prey.

That's certainly not wrong, but it's also not an argument against signaling. Or if it is, then it becomes an argument against any type of imitatable communication whatsoever. It becomes an argument against want ads, since a predator might respond to one by presenting as a potential employee.

A final point: it's actually quite hard for sexual predators to blend in as a feminist. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it takes a very specific kind of person to pull that off; most often, they would out themselves. It's not some common occurrence.

So again, I don't see any significant point is making the association.

At the very least, anecdotally, I've noticed that cishet white "allies" are generally more obnoxious and aggressive than the transhomo poc folx they defend.

Reactions: Dak

What a stupid article.

First, as soon as some dipshit asks for nudes after send bare chest pics, it's pretty obvious he's not a feminist. Does that really count as "dating"?

Second, and to my earlier point: if someone's being insincere then he's going to out himself pretty damn quick--i.e. asking for nudes after sending a pecs pic :rofl:

A smart person wouldn't look for someone qualifying themselves as "feminist" at the outset. Just try your best to see if someone's a decent person, and his "feminism" will make itself apparent. Anyone promoting themselves as feminist is protesting a bit too much. Honesly, how is this any different from any other dating presentation? People false advertise all the time; this whole feminist angle is nothing new. Why is this a big deal?