If Mort Divine ruled the world

118966729_118249513339506_6537580153053142316_n.jpg

Reactions: CiG
https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...2JUlrukaRRGh4h5XEsGOvJfEWNbXx0TMqzM3F16s7t-rM

The criticism of the Times has emboldened some conservatives to assert that such “revisionist history” is flat-outillegitimate. The right-wing publication The Federalist is extending the fight with a planned “1620 Project” about the anniversary of the Mayflower Landing at Plymouth Rock. (This plan is already inviting its own correction request, since Plymouth Rock is not actually the site of the Pilgrims’ first landing.) The project was even criticized on the floor of the U.S. Senate when, during the impeachment trial, President Donald Trump’s lawyer cited the historians’ letter to slam the project. Some observers, including at times Hannah-Jones herself, have framed the argument as evidence of a chasm between black and white scholars (the historians who signed the letter are all white), pitting a progressive history that centers on slavery and racism against a conservative history that downplays them.

But the debates playing out now on social media and in op-eds between supporters and detractors of the 1619 Project misrepresent both the historical record and the historical profession. The United States was not, in fact, founded to protect slavery—but the Times is right that slavery was central to its story. And the argument among historians, while real, is hardly black and white. Over the past half-century, important foundational work on the history and legacy of slavery has been done by a multiracial group of scholars who are committed to a broad understanding of U.S. history—one that centers on race without denying the roles of other influences or erasing the contributions of white elites. An accurate understanding of our history must present a comprehensive picture, and it’s by paying attention to these scholars that we’ll get there.

This is effectively why I think the 1619 Project is valuable, but also why it's been mishandled.

Jones is at fault for the misrepresentation! She took good work and sensationalized it with a ridiculous claim!

New research isn't being done because of 1619 , new research was being done that directly influenced 1619!

Caught the end of the Trump rally in NC. Dude has more energy at 74 than probably anyone on this forum, including me. Even if you hate the dude you have to admit it's pretty incredible. There are 40 year olds out there already doddering around with handicapped placards and he's standing up under bright lights yelling for 2 hours while almost double their age and subsisting on a diet of McDonald's and Diet Coke.

I wouldn’t call it incredible. I have uncles who could do the same if given the chance (also subsisting on diets of fast food and soda).

It’s just typical American vindictiveness given a pulpit.

I wouldn’t call it incredible. I have uncles who could do the same

I doubt it tbqh. Maybe for one night and then they'd need several days of recovery. Trump is full blast all the time *while* president/after over three years in office. The office of the presidency is incredibly stressful, and even with plenty of money and "vindictiveness", it ages people. Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are the same age and ol Bill looks like all of those child sacrifices did the opposite of what they were supposed to do (I keed, I keed). I'm healthier than the large majority of the US population simply based on things like BMI, muscle mass, and run times, and I don't know that I could sustain Trump's level of energy, even being half his age.

I think you're selling yourself and a lot of people our age short, not to mention some of our drunk uncles.

Trump doesn't drink, which I'm sure contributes to his ability to sustain himself onstage. But somehow I don't think he stresses too much about the presidency.

You are right that he successfully captivates his fans for two plus hours. So do modern pop stars. It just goes to show he's an entertainer, nothing else.

I think you're selling yourself and a lot of people our age short, not to mention some of our drunk uncles.

Trump doesn't drink, which I'm sure contributes to his ability to sustain himself onstage. But somehow I don't think he stresses too much about the presidency.

You are right that he successfully captivates his fans for two plus hours. So do modern pop stars. It just goes to show he's an entertainer, nothing else.

I'm probably selling short on the power of entertaining for extraverts/narcissists.

https://quillette.com/2020/09/17/black-lives-matter-and-the-mechanics-of-conformity/

After subjecting more than 10,000 people to knowledge-based questions about the state of the world, the late researcher Hans Rosling found that, on average, activists had a less accurate picture than the general public of the very issue to which their activism is devoted.

Activists are ignorant. Marches are ignorance in action. That's the charitable view. The uncharitable view is that activists are malignant and purposeful destroyers.