If Mort Divine ruled the world

CIA runs drugs to fund off the record activities, don't think they care who buys.

Laughable.

Didn't say it did, he just seems to be the only economist telling hard truths, he was the first person I ever saw seriously dismantling the gender wage gap.

Not true. There are plenty of notable economists who are adamantly against social assistance programs. Most of their ideas look great on paper and follow ABC conservative economic theory. But ultimately, they aren't quantifiable as it comes down to making character judgments on entire demographics instead of actively addressing the reasons why they are disadvantaged. The attempted response to their plight cannot be blamed for it. Doesn't make logical sense.

There is no evidence to suggest that social assistance has a negative impact on impoverished communities; there is plenty that shows the catastrophe that would ensue if they were taken away.

Laughable.

Not true. There are plenty of notable economists who are adamantly against social assistance programs. Most of their ideas look great on paper and follow ABC conservative economic theory. But ultimately, they aren't quantifiable as it comes down to making character judgments on entire demographics instead of actively addressing the reasons why they are disadvantaged. The attempted response to their plight cannot be blamed for it. Doesn't make logical sense.

There is no evidence to suggest that social assistance has a negative impact on impoverished communities; there is plenty that shows the catastrophe that would ensue if they were taken away.

What evidence is this?

I'm going to agree with Matt that there's no easy way out of the mess. It would be chaos at this point to just shut down welfare entirely. The system has grown up and the rest of the system has grown around it for decades now. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be slowly rolled back.

However, lol at "no evidence" on negative impacts. The perpetuation of impoverishment after decades of "assistance" is indictment enough.

fuck welfare, cut them off and let them die.

the money that would have been wasted on them could then instead be spent productively on the betterment of lives of lower-middle class folks that do have jobs but are still kinda poor

However, lol at "no evidence" on negative impacts. The perpetuation of impoverishment after decades of "assistance" is indictment enough.

Again, you're blaming the attempted solution for the structural problem that preceded it. There probably should be some changes to the system though, in addition to actual economic reforms being made. Unfortunately that probably won't happen so we'll continue to have worsening poverty and inequality.

Again, you're blaming the attempted solution for the structural problem that preceded it. There probably should be some changes to the system though, in addition to actual economic reforms being made.

The impoverished were becoming less impoverished already - until LBJ froze that shit in its tracks.....relatively speaking of course. Still living better than like 80% of the world or something. Thank you market.

Look at this here "structural problem":

poverty-rate-historical1.png

Unfortunately that probably won't happen so we'll continue to have worsening poverty and inequality.

Worsening poverty? Who says? Worsening Inequality? Who gives a fuck?

It shouldn't be ripped out from under society, I agree it should be a gradual roll back and when someone other than a conservative whatever-the-fuck-guilt-by-association comes forward with actual data and statistics, maybe I'll consider your position.

But saying but they're all conservatives is absolutely a void rebut.

Again, you're blaming the attempted solution for the structural problem that preceded it.

How do you counter Sowell's findings showing that before the welfare state, preferential programs etc, the black teen unemployment rate was lower than the white equivalent?

How do you counter Sowell's claim that before unionisation in the construction industry, blacks made up a large portion of the workers, especially in the south?

How do you counter the fact that more black families were intact prior to extensive single mother benefits? Do you think this phenomena has had any impact on the extreme levels of teen unemployment in black communities?

From actress Jennifer Lawrence;

Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co‑Stars?
(subscribe at www.lennyletter.com to read more)
When Lena first brought up the idea of Lenny to me, I was excited. Excited to speak to Lena, who I think is a genius, and excited to start thinking about what to complain about (that’s not what she pitched me, it’s just what I’m gonna do). When it comes to the subject of feminism, I’ve remained ever-so-slightly quiet. I don’t like joining conversations that feel like they’re “trending.” I’m even the asshole who didn’t do anything about the ice-bucket challenge — which was saving lives — because it started to feel more like a “trend” than a cause. I should have written a check, but I fucking forgot, okay? I’m not perfect. But with a lot of talk comes change, so I want to be honest and open and, fingers crossed, not piss anyone off.
It’s hard for me to speak about my experience as a working woman because I can safely say my problems aren’t exactly relatable. When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with dicks, I didn’t get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself. I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early. I didn’t want to keep fighting over millions of dollars that, frankly, due to two franchises, I don’t need. (I told you it wasn’t relatable, don’t hate me).
But if I’m honest with myself, I would be lying if I didn’t say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn’t want to seem “difficult” or “spoiled.” At the time, that seemed like a fine idea, until I saw the payroll on the Internet and realized every man I was working with definitely didn’t worry about being “difficult” or “spoiled.” This could be a young-person thing. It could be a personality thing. I’m sure it’s both. But this is an element of my personality that I’ve been working against for years, and based on the statistics, I don’t think I’m the only woman with this issue. Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? We’ve only been able to vote for what, 90 years? I’m seriously asking — my phone is on the counter and I’m on the couch, so a calculator is obviously out of the question. Could there still be a lingering habit of trying to express our opinions in a certain way that doesn’t “offend” or “scare” men?
A few weeks ago at work, I spoke my mind and gave my opinion in a clear and no-bullshit way; no aggression, just blunt. The man I was working with (actually, he was working for me) said, “Whoa! We’re all on the same team here!” As if I was yelling at him. I was so shocked because nothing that I said was personal, offensive, or, to be honest, wrong. All I hear and see all day are men speaking their opinions, and I give mine in the same exact manner, and you would have thought I had said something offensive.
I’m over trying to find the “adorable” way to state my opinion and still be likable! Fuck that. I don’t think I’ve ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard. It’s just heard. Jeremy Renner, Christian Bale, and Bradley Cooper all fought and succeeded in negotiating powerful deals for themselves. If anything, I’m sure they were commended for being fierce and tactical, while I was busy worrying about coming across as a brat and not getting my fair share. Again, this might have NOTHING to do with my vagina, but I wasn’t completely wrong when another leaked Sony email revealed a producer referring to a fellow lead actress in a negotiation as a “spoiled brat.” For some reason, I just can’t picture someone saying that about a man.

This post was on facebook and the most liked reply is as follows;

It's not about her millions, it's about the FACT that women doing the same job get less pay. It's about being taught as a young girl, "don't complain, be happy with what you have" as young boys are taught, "go after what you want, don't settle for less than you deserve". It's the fact that women actresses, women CEO's, women managers, women police officers, women fry cooks, women office workers, being paid less than men doing to same job!! It's about the fact that consciously or unconsciously people still see men as the breadwinners of the household and pay them more.

I'd rather watch a movie with Christian Bale as the star over Lawrence any day, unless it was filmed in her bedroom. That being said, it's probably a matter of time before one of those surfaces.