• Megadeth

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Vader

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Terrorizer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Angeleyes Part II said:
@Jason: I remember you said something about that Arcturus DVD,can't find your post back in the ND forum,do you have that DVD or not?

I think I was talking about how there wasn't a setlist on the back of the DVD case, so unless you look up that info. beforehand, you won't know what's on it until you open it. But no, I don't have it. I like Arcturus, though SS was kind of a letdown plus I prefer Garm to Vortex. :) You gonna get it?

I bought the Arcturus DVD the other week. I really enjoyed it. The sound mix is superb in 5.1 surround. They also have some video overlayed in parts of the set, kind of like Enslaved's Return to Yggdrasil. While they play a lot of songs from Sideshow, they play some older stuff as well, and Vortex seemed to do just great, imo.

Edit: The metal case rocks as well.

I got all their albums,and went to their gig last year,fantastic band and great performance,it was definatly my highlight of the year 2005,it was a blast honestly,and I agree with Myhottrashcan,Vortex is doing a great job,but Jason is right,I wasn't to thrilled about SS either,I keep going back to their old work,and unfortunately I don't have the DVD,I just can't decide if it's worth the money or not. I love Garm's voice particulary on "Aspera Hiems.." and La Masquerade.." I just love their music creations,they bring so much diversity in their music imo,but I'm sure Jason can describe all that much better,loved the review you did for TIF.. :)

Angeleyes Part II said:
Iunfortunately I don't have the DVD,I just can't decide if it's worth the money or not.

I totally agree. I'll probably pick it up sooner or later, though. Maybe some week when nothing new that I want comes out.

Angeleyes PartII said:
I love Garm's voice particulary on "Aspera Hiems.." and La Masquerade.." I just love their music creations,they bring so much diversity in their music imo

I have all their albums, too, but "The Sham Mirrors" is by far my favorite. If I compiled a list of my favorite albums of all time, that would be on there somewhere - depending on how many I decided to include. :loco: One thing that bothers me about "SS" is the production, especially because Season of Mist chose to go ahead and release the album rather than fix the songs that suffered from that problem. :bah:

Angeleyes PartII said:
loved the review you did for TIF.. :)

Thanks! :) I assume you mean Twisted into Form? You like them?

Well I should be receiving my copy of the Arcturus DVD today or tomorrow, I suppose I can let you know if its worth anything. Mike seems to like it (myhottrashcan).

I"ll also add that we probably won't ever cover an arcturus song, not that it wouldn't be fun to do, I just don't see it ever happening. (*strategically getting thread back OT)

Thanks Kyle that would be great,as long as you give your honest opinion about it,if you think it's not as good as you expected it to be,just say it k! :)

However it would be challenging to hear you guys covering Arcturus,even tho it aint gonna happen,which Arcturus song would be your favorite to play then? Just curious..

ehm..I'm not sure if I'm alowed to answer Jason now,you and your strategy got me all confused..

Oh, I didn't even know they were doing a DVD... I'll, of course, check Netflix.... it's where I rented the latest Flower Kings DVD which I must recommend, hehe... very cool stuff. I'd probably make a fool of myself if I said I liked SS the most, so I won't. :) Ugh I searched Arcturus on Netflix and their crappy search system comes up with a billion results of people's names and nonsense that isn't even close. If only their search system could be as good as UM's. :lol:

Honestly, I think you guys should do more than one cover... Maybe do a handful, and pick your favorite out of that. You never know how something will sound through your band until you do it! You could decide on something, go to do it, and then find out you can't quite get the vibes right or something... I dunno. A cover of an older band would be cool too, as most people choose to cover popular songs by still-going-bands like Maiden.... It's zany how many Maiden covers of the same songs are out there. Pick something nobody else has covered but everyone has heard if they're into deth metul.

...or you could cover the Dethklok Metalocalypse theme. \m/

well, the Arcturus DVD is pretty solid, the packaging is amazing. that tin and foamy inside is really slick. Vortex pulls off most of Garm's old vocals pretty nicely...though the change from his falsetto from his regular chest voice is a little too abrupt for my liking. He should probably try to sing more of the range in his head voice instead. BUt..whatever. that really is just a small thing I've noticed after i've watched and listened to the DVD 3 or 4 times.

The one BIG thing that doesnt' jive with me is the number of drama-school drop outs they employ to dress up and wander aimlessly about the stage. ...It just doesn't work for me, it looks really un-professional.

I'd give the dvd a 6/10 probably. If they would just play it would've been an 8/10.

circus_brimstone said:
One thing that bothers me about "SS" is the production, especially because Season of Mist chose to go ahead and release the album rather than fix the songs that suffered from that problem. :bah:

What do you mean,what problem?

And yes TIF is a great band with amazing music,I haven't got the album yet,but I will purchase it for sure,I particulary like Leif's vocals and how they put different styles and influences in their music,I think you did compare them a little to much with Cynic tho,I just feel TIF's music stands more to their own,very unique imo..oh well what do I know :p

the_drip said:
well, the Arcturus DVD is pretty solid, the packaging is amazing. that tin and foamy inside is really slick. Vortex pulls off most of Garm's old vocals pretty nicely...though the change from his falsetto from his regular chest voice is a little too abrupt for my liking. He should probably try to sing more of the range in his head voice instead. BUt..whatever. that really is just a small thing I've noticed after i've watched and listened to the DVD 3 or 4 times.

The one BIG thing that doesnt' jive with me is the number of drama-school drop outs they employ to dress up and wander aimlessly about the stage. ...It just doesn't work for me, it looks really un-professional.

I'd give the dvd a 6/10 probably. If they would just play it would've been an 8/10.

Kyle,I agree with you,I checked a video from the DVD which was placed on the Arcturus myspace profile the "Chaos Path" and to be honest Vortex sounds awful in the beginning,and all the chaos with ppl running around is indeed somewhat annoying,but thanks for the feedback,much apreciated :)

To get this thread back on track,and speaking about Amon Amarth,I have a little something here,a few weeks back some local young band did a cover of AA's Pursuit of the Vikings in a local pub where I live.
Here's the youtube thing,have to say the vid looks a bit crappy,now do me a favor and watch it and tell me what you think of it.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTg4l9Rm6ik

Angeleyes Part II said:
What do you mean,what problem?

You know the audio problems on track two and such? The recording is at very low volume and of lower quality than the others....

Angeleyes Part II said:
And yes TIF is a great band with amazing music,I haven't got the album yet,but I will purchase it for sure,I particulary like Leif's vocals and how they put different styles and influences in their music,I think you did compare them a little to much with Cynic tho,I just feel TIF's music stands more to their own,very unique imo..oh well what do I know :p

Yeah, I was afraid of doing that, but I find them so similar to Cynic that I just couldn't get away from the comparison. Great disc, though, regardless.