if were to organize a festival in NY ...

If we do get serious about this, I think we should reach out the the HC guys and see what advice/insight they can give us.

Already spoke with John on the phone (MisterMayhem) earlier this year and he was very helpful on quite a few topics and offered to help us out along the way if we are serious ... so this is :kickass:

I think people would travel to this show if we have bands that will play a one-off gig.

Another thing is, I would wnat this to be something with farily newer bands ... not some nostalgia driven affair.

lurch70 said:
I think people would travel to this show if we have bands that will play a one-off gig.
I think they would as well. My point was, given the population of our area, we're not as dependant on people to travel.

lurch70 said:
Another thing is, I would wnat this to be something with farily newer bands ... not some nostalgia driven affair.
Cool.

Zod

Dark One said:
I certainly would love to do anything I could to help (though that would more or less be through written word and moral support at the moment).
That's very cool of you to offer. Every good festival needs fluffers to keep the bands happy. Oh, wait a minute, you said "moral support". My bad.:loco:

Zod

Agalloch would be near impossible around this time, since Anderson teaches... unless its scheduled around a spring break, winter break, etc.

Solitude Aeturnus would be pretty nifty, and would draw a bunch of doom heads out to the east coast, and they havent been out here for a long time. and hey, Woods of Ypres wouldn't have to travel too far

should i hand out pillows with each ticket purchase? :loco:

all kidding aside ... I would want bands that get the blood flowing a bit

Morbid Angel and Vital Remains *shrugs* I'm just tryin to think of some bands that would be obscure to see live in the US, while having them be FROM the US to save on transportation costs to the organizers

Suffocation is from Long Island and have a huge following here, plus the promoter chick I know is friends with them ... but they always play the area ... 3-4 times a year ... they would be great for drawing a good chunk of the audience.

Anyway ... we went through all this "name your band" game earlier in this thread. Unless a few of us are serious about coughing up the cash and put the time in to make it happen ... well, at that time we will decide who we would like to get.

lurch70 said:
Unless a few of us are serious about coughing up the cash and put the time in to make it happen ... well, at that time we will decide who we would like to get.
Just out of curiosity, that $35K number you threw out earlier, what is that based on?

Zod

lurch70 said:
Already spoke with John on the phone (MisterMayhem) earlier this year and he was very helpful on quite a few topics and offered to help us out along the way if we are serious ... so this is :kickass:

If you still have any questions you can email me or call me.

John ... thanks alot! Always appreciated!

Zod ... its based on some numbers I threw together in an excel sheet encompassing pretty much everything. Will email it to you later from home.

John, is that a realistic # from your experience?

I was just pointing out that they seem to play every festival possible.

If an RC fest happened that would be aesome, but I would have no chance to get down there:p

* Note.. belows numbers are not what i spent before. but damn close.

Yes and No....

No...
You can still put on a good fest on a smaller budget. But, your budget for the talent can be small. If you only get national bands then you can get more bigger names.

Yes...
$35K does seems a little high, you can still go into $20K, $25K, $30K and get great acts and a great show. If you get 2 International artists. You would pay roughly (if you get worker visas)...

$1000 per band for their visa apps.
$250 for AFM letter. American Federation of Musicians. (stupid thing)
$500-$800 per person flights from Europe to the USA. (depends on the season) (fall/Winter are cheap - Spring is moderate - Summer expensive as hell)
$190 per band visa app.. Manager/Sound guy/Tech needs another application ($190). if you give enough time.
($1000) per band only (not including managers in which you need to pay an extra $1000) for rush fees. if you need it in a hurry.

$2K
$500
$3250 - ($650) per person - 4 musicians - 1 manager
$4200 - ($600) per person - 6 musicians - 1 manager
$380 (bands)
$380 (managers)

$10,210 - So far that is bands budget - (Just to get them here) - that is without their fees, hotel, rider.

Plus other expenses. (other bands, magazine ads, flyers, posters, hall rentals and other things.)

I can go more into detail... if you need it.

lurch70 said:
Polish bands draw like crazy in NY ... large Polish metalhead community

Graveland

They'll bring in enough people show you won't have to sell out and get shitty popular bands.

General Zod said:
Candlemass is so unstable, I don't think I'd want to book my first festival around them.
As I was saying...

Legendary Swedish doomsters CANDLEMASS have posted the following message on their official web site:

"You have heard the rumours and it is with a heavy heart we must make this official. The band have tried to solve the situation several times, but Messiah cannot be persuaded to sing on the new album. His attitude and demands are way too unreasonable. I'm very sorry about this, not surprised though.

"We have all been very disappointed with Messiah's behaviour during the previous years reunion, especially with his childish and undemocratic way to 'discuss' matters before the may recording at Polar in Stockholm. It's not cool when one person refuses to listen to other people, don't give a shit about his bandmates and demands special treatment. Sure, a little bit of primadonna vices is allowed in a band. But when it comes to the extent that it's 'my way or the highway' in every little discussion that comes up, it is not fun anymore. We like the thought of five equal metalheads playing together, having fun in the rehearsalroom, at gigs etc. That's the whole point of it if you ask us. Unfortunately negativity and stupidity have been dictating the rules for CANDLEMASS lately.

"We hope you all can understand how disappointed we are. And angry! Disappointed with the fact that a grown man can behave so badly towards others — his friends — and for such a long time. And so easily, when he doesn't get everything he wants, throws it all away. We're still in shock! We never thought it was possible for somebody in this great band to have such a bad attitude towards his bandmates!
We are also angry that we have bought the shit for so long. Been fucked over so much, so many times since the reunion 2002. It's really shameful!

"It only took a couple of gigs to understand that Messiah wasn't back to make friends, so we have fought hard to keep this together for you — our fans. It's been a rough ride, but when you stand in front of 200 or 2,000 or even 20,000 screaming fans it's worth all trouble.

"And yes, it was close that last album didn't include Messiah, but we made it happen because we love this music and we love that you guys love us!! But it was the last album with Messiah Marcolin on vocals. We can't deal with the big man anymore. Sorry!! We tried to reason with him before the recording of the new one but Messiah's behaviour was beyond the acceptable. Mr. Marcolin has been too much to take and the reasons behind his departure from CANDLEMASS are not very flattering for him. No details, sorry....too embarrassing...

"On the positive side (there is one!), this can make the band stronger and lead to something better. We don't stand and fall with Messiah Marcolin. We will look hard for a worthy replacement because we got a superb album recorded already. With the right voice it will kill!! We hope for a new start with CANDLEMASS, a band we love way too much to ditch because of one rotten apple!!"

As previously reported, Messiah Marcolin contacted BLABBERMOUTH.NET on April 28, 2006 to announce that he was leaving the band with no possibility of him rejoining. "We could not agree on how to do the new album," Messiah stated at the time while refusing to elaborate on his sudden exit.

CANDLEMASS' upcoming CD — a concept album about the road to ruin in the modern society — is being self-produced and will feature nine or ten tracks.

CANDLEMASS recorded four new songs with the help of producer Andy Sneap (NEVERMORE, ARCH ENEMY, MACHINE HEAD) in late February at the Polar studios. At the time, Leif Edling said of the material, "The songs are pretty much in the same vein as the stuff on the [self-titled 2005] reunion album, maybe a bit darker."

GMR Music recently announced plans to re-release the CANDLEMASS albums "Chapter VI" (1992) and "Dactylis Glomerata" (1998) as double remastered discs.

"Chapter VI" will include the "Sjunger Sigge Furst" EP as bonus tracks plus a live DVD disc and "Dactylis Glomerata" will contain an entire previously unreleased album. Each reissue will be sold for the price of a normal full-length CD.

Zod

Reactions: Dark One