if you had to choose between a Dual Recto or 6505+, what would it be?

Thanks guys! My only issue is I'd probably want a TS in front of either of these amps. I DO own a TS, but I totally hate having to tapdance for clean sections (which are rare in my bands songs, but there's enough to make it annoying).

If only amp companies started making splitter/loop at the front of the amps. :lol:

Honestly, in that case I'd recommend looking at the EVH. If you only need a clean and the Red channel you could get away with the 50 if 50 watts is enough for you. Worth noting that clean (green) and blue (rhythm) channels on the 50 share controls so there is a fixed volume jump that doesn't work for a lot of people. The red channel is separate.

If you want to use all 3 channels live definitely go for the 100. It has separate controls for all channels.

I honestly don't feel the red channel on the EVH amps needs a boost, it is really tight already. See if you can try one out.

I'd go with the 6505+ or EVH 5150 III. Not a fan of the Dual Rectifier for some reason, but I'm reluctant to sell it because people come and rent the studio because of the Rectifier from time to time.

The rectifier is the most overrated amp in history. I wonder why? It can be cool and work but like 99/100 it won't and the only thing I liked it on was on bass for distortion haha. I kinda buyed one because it was a boy dream to own one. I like the mid's on it but as I said previously is that it's way to flubby and loose and wont work with many guitar players.

Get a EVH 5153 50w, great sounding amp, way better cleans then on a 5150/6505. Works for both cleans, lead, crunch and heavy rythm.

I completely love rectos for playing but I totally agree that they dont always fit recordings, also agree the EVH 50w is amazing and really is worth taking a chance on sight unseen. Cleans are decent but not amazing and channel 3 really doesn't need a boost.

Had a 6505+ and have a 2ch Dual Rec now and definitely prefer the Rec. It did take a good tube job off the stock tubes for it to open up (same for the 6505+), but between the different channel/diode options it's way more flexible for what I need to coax out of it. Until I can get a deal on a 5150III, I don't think I'd buy another 5150. It definitely has the more mid focused sound, but it doesn't growl in the way the Rec does when cranked.

Jens Bogren had a comment on here a while back that dual recs have this random harmonic structure that works really well in a mix. There are also few amps that can match the balls of a dual/trip rec, especially for lower tunings.

for the tones most people prefer around here, you will probably want some sort of boost in front. the low end is a bit boomy and loose without one.

Last edited by a moderator:
you already own a 5150 right? I fail to see how buying a 6505+ will really give you a ton more versatility.

Sell your Mark iv and 5150 and get a 5150 III. All problems solved! Modern, good cleans. Money from your other heads will go to this one.

It's important to conform as much as humanly possible to the sonic status quo. That said, you should be using an ESP guitar with EMG 81s into a Peavey 5150 into an OS Mesa mic'd with a SM57 only. This is the only acceptable tone for modern metal.

you already own a 5150 right? I fail to see how buying a 6505+ will really give you a ton more versatility.

Sell your Mark iv and 5150 and get a 5150 III. All problems solved! Modern, good cleans. Money from your other heads will go to this one.

If OP already owns a 5150 a 6505+ i such a waste. I never understood the guys that have 3 5150's. One is more then enough haha. If you have a Mark 4 too then you got 2 nice flavors already.

5153, is nice and is more saturated and creamy then a 5150. If you have a chance to try a JSX do it. That is my personal favorite for high gain. Got great cleans, crunch, lead and rythm. Really got it all.

Well I had my way with the Recto a bit last night. Thing does sound pretty good, though it's got this weird thing going on in the high end/presence area that I can't seem to get rid of.

But this one also has tubes in it that are like 4 or 5 years old and is about to get retubed.

Todays mission: to mic up and compare/contrast the Recto and 5150. Wanted to bring the IV home too but was feeling lazy. :lol:

The EQ on Mesa's are pretty weird compared to some amps. It's all relative to the other EQ knobs, not as much a static freq that gets boosted and cut. Some recommend cutting the presence down and using more treb for the high boost.

Well at least the EQ on this works more normally than the Mark IV EQ.....that shit is just weird.

I've also noticed that the treble and presence along with the Master volumes don't really match up between channels.