I'm sorry to say......

Yngvai X said:
You heard this from the mighty genre title hander-outer Im sure?

He told me I played walrus metal. I kinda looked at him funny, but thats what he told me so...

not gonna dispute.

You know sarcasm is the lowest form of communication. :tickled: :Spin: :tickled:

I had never heard the Term "power metal" before I heard Symphony X labeled as such. What makes a band "power metal"? Symphony X sounds like neoclassical prog metal to me. In fact, the CD says "File under progressive metal". Though I've never seen a store with a progressive metal section...

XR4Tim said:
I had never heard the Term "power metal" before I heard Symphony X labeled as such. What makes a band "power metal"? Symphony X sounds like neoclassical prog metal to me. In fact, the CD says "File under progressive metal". Though I've never seen a store with a progressive metal section...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_metal

It looks like this forum is starting to go the way of DT's forums. Too bad.

Argh! Classifying things is difficult. These are my thoughts, and I present them as such - not facts. Feel free to disagree.

A simple description of power metal is just fast paced heavy metal with a focus on melodic instrumental work, and usually with clean vocals. By massively generalising, I'd say there are two main types of power metal: heavy and melodic. That's not to say heavy power metal bands are unmelodic, just melodic ones focus far more on melody than heaviness.
Heavy power metal is seen in bands like Rage and Blind Guardian.
Melodic power metal is seen in bands like Rhapsody and Dragonforce.

Sadly, there are now lots of unoriginal super, hyper, ultra, epic, symphonic, film-score, fantasy power metal bands these days (or whatever the trendy description is these days) who try and do exactly the same thing as Rhapsody and Dragonforce, but much worse. This doesn't do much in terms of credibility for a genre that isn't taken very seriously by most anyway. The other disturbing thing is that at a Dragonforce gig I went to earlier this year, the majority of people there must have been under 18 and treated the support act (the one before Angra) with such immature disrespect that it was embarassing to be in that audience! I expect that from nu-metal bands, but it shocked me that a band that was relatively underground until recently and actually has musicians in could attract such a moronic fanbase...

There's also progressive power metal. Kamelot are progressive power metal in that they write catchy melodic music but balance it with more progressive musical ideas and themes. Angra are also progressive power. The progressive and power metal ideas seem to be balanced fairly evenly with this sort of music.
I suppose you could classify Symphony X similarly, but I really don't think Symphony X should be called a power metal band. I listen to power metal for the fast paced and energetic nature of the music, whereas Symphony X more because I like to listen to the music, lyrics - everything. I'd say Symphony X were progressive, with some power metal aspects, and formerly neo-classical ideas.

In addition, you have bands like Bodom who could be described as borderline power, borderline death.

I think it is all a bit lame to stuff bands into boxes. There are definitely differences between major categories like Country and Metal, but past that, who cares? If you like what you hear, what difference does it make if the music fits a defined subcategory? And screw subjectivity. I'm so sick of the competition the fans put on the music and musicians. Music is art, not a fuckin' race. I could just as easily say that Angra makes Kamelot look stupid(I don't really think that), but who really cares? I love both bands *because* they're different. This narrowminded shit has got to go. I don't welcome it here; the one place I thought appeared be devoid of blatant stupidity. Granted, I don't want Jax to become a forum-nazi. I'd rather not ever post or visit here again before I'd want that. What a catch-22.

kazahana said:
That's not to say heavy power metal bands are unmelodic, just melodic ones focus far more on melody than heaviness.
Heavy power metal is seen in bands like Rage and Blind Guardian.

LOL, glad you added the disclaimer before mentioning Blind Guardian...I mean, I think the choral sections really are melodic. ;)

But anyway, I personally don't care WHAT genre something falls into as long as I like it. The hair-splitting and elitism are ridiculous...we like what we like. It's OK to recommend stuff you think people might like because of Symphony X (or other bands they enjoy), but I think the bashing is really out of line.

I don't like Kamelot. See? I'm not saying that Kamelot is bad, I'm just saying that I don't like it, there is no such thing as best or worse band (well, of course we are really talking about teh worse band of all times: Scissor Sisters)

im glad there is some inteliigent dialougue in here. trying to pigeonhole bands to fit a certain genre is bad for a band. all the sub genres are pretty ridiculous. i agree whith what someone said there is no best or worse band. that is all subjective to ones tastes. and to many people try to pass their own opinion as hard fact and that is not the case.
and for the record Kamelots The Black Halo is still album of the year of 2005 :)