IN FLAMES-Come Clarity

solefald

Vheissu
Apr 11, 2002
Chimera Chiemgau
www.myspace.com
Hello Folks, we are here on the Dt-Board but as you can see in the "The Ultimate-Band"-thread In Flames are really popular here(or the old IF:D)
Today they released their new album Come Clarity, a better one than the last dissapointing "Soundtrack to escape IF".

Imo its a real good one, perhaps their best since colony. The production especially of the drums is better than on the last 2 albums, much better songs and even the ballad is good.(Thats what I realized after the first listening session) So lets discuss it

So whats your opinon of CC? Welcome back boys? Or still worse?

Not really "welcome back" - they never left (and I could feel their presence in the Force :D ), another good album (when I finally heard it in full =), one more step of evolution of In Flames, still hear some ppl are rather disappointed with LD's DVD (haven't got my copy yet, but it's said it's b/w and dubbed :Smug: , but that's more recording company issue - teh band didn't want that to hit the streets, as Bjorn stated in the interview, and was made just for press).

New songs... hmmm, rather good live, but couldn't distinguish vocals last time around - sound problems? My ears? Or - God forbid - Anders??? :err: But that was one of the first shows on tour, so I'd partly blame jetlag (was suffering myself o_O )

I've heard better. The sound is still very mainstream. I tried to find what could make "the old fans happy" and I didn't hear a thing that reminded me of Whoracle or The Jester Race. At least they got rid of the "screamed verses and clear voice chorus" pattern and that's a plus. Now, I don't like this album but it's still very well made. In Flames haven't evolved or de-evolved, they just changed.

i really really don't like come clarity. it's not about in flames selling out or being nu metal or anything. i respect the band for what they do, it just got to the point that i can't stand listening to it. it's been a free-fall, for me, since right after whoracle.

solefald said:
hey rahvin colony and clayman arent such bad

Maybe, but it's not "Whoracle" either...Colony and Clayman where only the premisces of, as rahvin puts it, IF's "free-fall" to which I agree.

imho, come clarity is a step forward from where if left us, which was about 2-3 steps back with Reroute To Remain and STYE, really disappointing abums. come clarity has the typical metalcore style with some swedish elements. of course CC cannot be compared with TJR or Whoracle, but still I think it's a good step to, at least, pay back the 2 monstrous disasters of 2002 and 2004.

Well my favourite IF album is C.O.L.O.N.Y. and I think that the new album is very good, STYE was a little bit boring to me but is not a bad album and I think that Reroute To Remain is amazing... anyway the first IF Era was the best (The Jester Race, Whoracle, C.O.L.O.N.Y.)

Haha, it's just a record, a CD to be covered with dust in a few weeks, but live - everything is a kick-ass, really :D I don't care what they play each and every time - they are varying setlist radically this time, or just getting used to that - from whichever album it is... but Worlds Within The Margin... that was something comparing to the rest of the set (as well as Behind Space) - poor kids around me didn't know what was going on, and wtf wwtm were :D

Even the energy of the old songs is > than any of the new songs... surprise-surprise!!! But it's all good :)

RampageSword said:
I've heard better. The sound is still very mainstream. I tried to find what could make "the old fans happy" and I didn't hear a thing that reminded me of Whoracle or The Jester Race. At least they got rid of the "screamed verses and clear voice chorus" pattern and that's a plus. Now, I don't like this album but it's still very well made. In Flames haven't evolved or de-evolved, they just changed.
They changed from Whoracle to Come Clarity, how is that not a step backwards? With the rest I completely agree :p

Nt3N said:
imho, come clarity is a step forward from where if left us, which was about 2-3 steps back with Reroute To Remain and STYE, really disappointing abums. come clarity has the typical metalcore style with some swedish elements. of course CC cannot be compared with TJR or Whoracle, but still I think it's a good step to, at least, pay back the 2 monstrous disasters of 2002 and 2004.
It's a step forward, I agree, though a step backwards would have led us dangerously close to women with too much makeup and too much playback.
To me Come Clarity is a positive surprise, nothing more. Oh, also it may be the most overrated album since St.Anger came out..

Taliesin said:
Oh, also it may be the most overrated album since St.Anger came out..

St.Anger was overrated? Everybody hated it. At least around here. No one said anything good about this album. Anyways CC is just about as good to IF as AYDY? is to CoB : :yuk:

I was refering to the quality of the album and the attention it got.. maybe I got the term wrong then :p
And I like AYDY? actually.. I mean it's not a masterpiece I think it's a good album. The way the whole CoB board is like "omgomg CoB sold out with AYDY!" is so ridiculous.. but then again so is pretty much everything over there..

I don't think that CoB sold out with AYDY? It's just that they dropped the whole power metal influence and that kind of killed their style. Personnally, AYDY? was my 2005 biggest deception. I'm just a die-hard fan of the old stuff that's all.

Hm, AYDY? is one boring record for me, how unfortunate! :) Rather liked what COB were doing, but this record... isn't disappointing, but rather not what i personally like =)

But kids like both, very much, haha =)

solefald said:
a better one than the last dissapointing "Soundtrack to escape IF".
you mean "shittrack to escape from" ?

'course the new album is better then the last two but I think In Flames can never return to what they once were. my favourites on the new album: Dead End (that chick is good ^^), Vacuum, Vanishing Light.

I love everything In Flames did up to and including Whoracle.
Colony and Clayman were ok.
I didn't bother listening to anything from them after that.