IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Dismiss the Cynic... A great song. Another example of riff similar to ASOP riffs, sounding good on RTR but weak on ASOP.

Let's play with this song:

- Cut the opening riff in half
- Ditch the melody
- Ditch the mumbling part
- Change verse singing for whiny autotune shit with bad vocal melody
- Fill the chorus with idotic lyrics and bad singing
- Get rid of the whole acoustic-effects-melody-solo section and replace it with 15 seconds of random wah soloing
- Get rid of the epic sounding last chorus

Aaaand there you have it, an SC or Battles era song.

Reactions: Midas

In which Bjorn plays samples from "Underneath My Skin", "The End" and "Drained."

Sounds great to me! Looking forward to "Drained" especially. "Underneath My Skin" sounds like it'll be a 12/8 song, so that's also hype.

Reactions: AtotheK
The really funny thing about IF being really lazy is that I'm pretty sure Anders records every chorus separately. He doesn't just record it once and copy and paste it throughout each song. He actually records each chorus which is awesome. I find that amusing.

Reactions: Jaymzkrueger
He started doing that on recent albums, yeah, or at least it's been more apparent to me. I think every song on Siren Charms - and SOAPF, I believe - has a slight variation in each chorus, which I definitely like.

I don't think that's the case in "Through My Eyes", however. He does this weird tongue-roll thing when he sings "different" that is noticeable in each chorus, haha. So I think there's definitely some copy-paste going on there. =P

Reactions: AtotheK
Those riffs sound great :D

Edit: I don't know what Bjorn is getting at by saying playing in C makes them lazy... their guitars are tuned the same way as Drop D tuning, but 2 steps lower. It's a common style of tuning but just in a different key.

Last edited:
In the ASOP documentary in the booth Anders said "we're recording the chorus a few times instead of just using the same take over and over"

Can hear clearly on Fear Is The Weakness that each chorus is different. Progressively harsher screams each time

He started doing that on recent albums, yeah, or at least it's been more apparent to me. I think every song on Siren Charms - and SOAPF, I believe - has a slight variation in each chorus, which I definitely like.

I don't think that's the case in "Through My Eyes", however. He does this weird tongue-roll thing when he sings "different" that is noticeable in each chorus, haha. So I think there's definitely some copy-paste going on there. =P
No, he's been doing it on just about all the albums.

In which Bjorn plays samples from "Underneath My Skin", "The End" and "Drained."

Sounds great to me! Looking forward to "Drained" especially. "Underneath My Skin" sounds like it'll be a 12/8 song, so that's also hype.

I love things like this. Björn is a genius. I have to revisit my review and give proper praise to the actual crafting of the music, something I admittedly forgot.

Also, give me 2 of your (all of you guys) absolute favorite In Flames songs. (Feel free to PM or leave them here.)

Last edited:

Well they're not so good, not so bad either. Maybe meh for me. But I have to listen them in actual songs for decide.

Also, give me 2 of your (all of you guys) absolute favorite In Flames songs. (Feel free to PM or leave them here.)

Hmm favorite songs.. One of them is Deliver Us for sure. Awesome track. I have too much options for second one but I'll probably go with The Mirrors Truth.

No, he's been doing it on just about all the albums.

Hm. I'll have to revisit their early-to-mid albums again and listen to the choruses, then. I was just thinking of songs like "Vacuum" in which I'm pretty sure the choruses are copy-pasted, whereas I don't think that's the case in, like, "Gyroscope". Not like I'm saying it's a bad thing. I'm guilty of copy-paste in my own recordings! =P

I love things like this. Björn is a genius. I have to revisit my review and give proper praise to the actual crafting of the music, something I admittedly forgot.

Bjorn always struck me as a guy who knows how to play and how to write music, but doesn't know how to explain his process. I'm sort of like that, myself, so I don't hold it against him. Like, I'm awful at remembering the names of chords. A lot of it is just a matter of feeling.

As for my two favorite songs... They change pretty much all the time. These days my two biggest go-tos are "Lord Hypnos" and "Siren Charms". The first has some of the strongest melodies IF has written, great lyrics, and a godlike bridge. The second has fantastic atmosphere, a laid-back but unsettling mood that I think is awesome, and one of my favorite IF choruses ever. It's also one of my favorite IF songs to play.

Top two songs...hmm, that's not easy. I think I might say Satellites and Astronauts and Take This Life. Though you could probably put in Zombie, Inc., Ordinary Story, or System and I'd be ok with that. Maybe A New Dawn. I'm positive my top two would be in this set of six. The intro to Minus is really good too. Sorry for being difficult :p

If absolutely have to pick 2...

Cloud Connected (Simple riff yet so perfect, never gets old)

Only For The Weak

(Colony & Satellites and Astronauts are the runners up)

The really funny thing about IF being really lazy is that I'm pretty sure Anders records every chorus separately. He doesn't just record it once and copy and paste it throughout each song. He actually records each chorus which is awesome. I find that amusing.
And that's awesome because?

Looking at comments from the IF fanpage on FB from people who listened to the full album yesterday. They all say that if you didnt like SC then you wont like Battles. They also say that Battles is a slightly heavier and happier version of SC.

Atoma leaked.

What an amazing fucking album. 'Clearing Skies' is probably my favourite song of the last 10 years.

Reactions: A88
Looking at comments from the IF fanpage on FB from people who listened to the full album yesterday. They all say that if you didnt like SC then you wont like Battles. They also say that Battles is a slightly heavier and happier version of SC.

You got a PM. Not sure if I agree with those fellas. I mean it is likely that one won't like it, but people are different, I say give it a try. An album isn't much...