IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Two favourite songs? Damn, it'd be hard to pick my top twenty, let alone top two :D

As it stands, I'd probably go for Zombie Inc and OFTW. The former is just an incredible all around song, the latter is the song that got me into In Flames (and metal as a whole) and is a killer live track too.

And that's awesome because?
Which part? I'm confused because it's pretty obvious. Recording each chorus is awesome because a lot of bands just copy and paste, which is fine. But when each chorus is slightly different, it's a little more real. Or are you talking about the irony here with them being lazy? This takes more time and effort, yet when it comes to song structure nowadays, they just copy and paste.

Suburban Me and Jester Script.

But it is so hard to pick just two.

Reactions: Midas
I quite literally could have picked any of the below and been comfortable with my decision:

Behind Space
In Flames
Stand Ablaze
Moonshield
Artifacts of the Black Rain
Graveland
The Jester Race
Jotun
Gyroscope
Jester Script Transfigured
Episode 666
Embody the Invisible
Ordinary Story
Colony
Zombie Inc
Coerced Coexistence
Insipid 2000
Bullet Ride
Pinball Map
OFTW
As The Future Repeats Today
Square Nothing
Satellites and Astronauts
Suburban Me
System
Trigger
Cloud Connected
Minus
Metaphor
The Quiet Place
Evil in a Closet
Dead End
Crawl Through Knives
Vanishing Light
Eraser
Abnegation
SOAPF
The Puzzle
Fear is the Weakness
Where the Dead Ships Dwell
Ropes
A New Dawn

Obviously nothing from ASOP (I technically count Eraser and Abnegation as TMT EP songs) or SC and probably Battles, but the overall awesomeness spanning across their albums over the years is undeniable. I think the cycle of genuine top quality songs ended with SOAPF, but still, what a back catalog. There is no other band I listen to that has so many songs I absolutely love and could listen to any time, anywhere, regardless of my mood.

They might be hipster assholes these days, but when they were good... man, were they good :cool:

Which part? I'm confused because it's pretty obvious. Recording each chorus is awesome because a lot of bands just copy and paste, which is fine. But when each chorus is slightly different, it's a little more real. Or are you talking about the irony here with them being lazy? This takes more time and effort, yet when it comes to song structure nowadays, they just copy and paste.
Most bands that i listen to never copy paste the vocals or the music. I agree that is good for anders to try to make the different choruses slightly different, but, since the songs are mostly choruses, I don't see a real effort there. Maybe if he tried to change the lyrics on each chorus or to sing more than 12 different verses I would appreciate the effort. But everything that he does is studio work, not real music effort.

Bjorn has said many times that he is a lazy guy, he has proven it I'm sc and now is proving it in battles, where we can hear different versions of known guitar riffs and little to no effort in the song structures, guitar solos and melodies. I agree that anders is trying harder than him into creating something different.

These days crawl through knives and vanishing light. Next week I don't know. It depends on the mood that I'm in.

There is no other band I listen to that has so many songs I absolutely love and could listen to any time, anywhere, regardless of my mood.

They might be hipster assholes these days, but when they were good... man, were they good :cool:

This! You read my mind man.

Oh, and those riffs Bjorn plays. Meh, from boring to mediocre. As expected.

It seems that 70-80% of things I like about IF guitar playing comes from Jesper.

Reactions: eochaid
There is just no way I could pick two favourite In Flames' songs :)
Also,the new Avenged Sevenfold album is out...What do you think of it?

There is just no way I could pick two favourite In Flames' songs :)
Also,the new Avenged Sevenfold album is out...What do you think of it?

New Sevenfold is insane... Exist is epic! Not sure about matt's new higher vocal style though, his voice isn't as gritty as it used to be. Awesome album :D very similar album at to Battles, come to think of it.

Reactions: Ilias7
Just watched* the video with the riffs. They sound really good like that. Problem is you don't hear them as clear as in this video. I'd really rather have that sound a quality on the actual album. Very raw and heavy.

Last edited:
Just the video with the riffs. They sound really good like that. Problem is you don't hear them as clear as in this video. I'd really rather have that sound a quality on the actual album. Very raw and heavy.

Yeah I agree. I guess we have to wait the album for the final decision. Btw there's like 15 days to new album, why didnt they release a new song?

Reactions: AtotheK
Blah, blah, can't pick 2 songs, blah, blah, this is true for me as well (and for every1), but as I am assuming you are gathering these infos for something, so I'm gonna go with these two:

1. Dawn Of A New Day: We were handing around pirated Slipknot and Limp Bizkit discs, and on one of them there was this In Flames record called R2R (minus a few songs, I think it only had like 10 tracks), and DOAND hooked me in instantly. Sure, OFTW and Leeches were the two songs that really got me into IF, but this song is a blast, despite being rather simple and straightforward. I love that suffocating mood it radiates. The protagonist is talking about a bunch of positive stuff: he will do it this time, he starts again, he won't fall, but the way he delivers his lines it's quite tragic and is up to interpretation. Pure desperation and determination in one song.

2. Everlost (part II): The one good thing (besides In Flames as a band) that came out of Lunar Strain. Yeah, I guess nominating this is kinda cheating (and edgy), but it has some of the great medleys IF did back then, with a unique take on the vocals. This song should have been remade for Siren Charms. It fits the theme, gives the record some more depth (sure, it's weird) and if Jesper was not busy being an online troll, he could've recorded some of the acoustic parts for it as a gesture of burying the hatchet.

Also, @shadow, I'm not sure what comments you were reading, because the ones I saw were praising Battles. Like, at least say the reviews are mixed, mhkay? It's just sensationalist saying what you said.

DT's Atoma... Wow!

Perfect blend of old and new, plus some really surprising moments. Clearing skies is absolutely wonderful and sounds like a young band with new ideas.

I admit, when The Pitiless was released I was a bit skeptical. Thought that this will be another one like WATW or Construct. Nope, this is much, much better.

Fuck, albums opens with a melody that could be on Swanos Moontower, then a killer fast riff, then some beautiful keys. Production enables listener to hear all instruments very clear instead of packing countless layers of rhythm guitars. Also, Stanne at his best.

DT is a weird band.

When they do it right, like this one, their albums are real quality. But they lack some "x factor" to make big hits.

It's like reverse IF, who are capable of doing whole album of shitty music just to be saved by a few catchy melodies and choruses.

I'm so pleased DT took a step back from cold and gloomy WATV-Construct sound. This early '00 stuff upgraded, sounds just about right, with some hints of a new sound.

Nice fast riffing, lots of energy and beautiful keyboards soaring across the whole thing. Very melodic and pleasant.