IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Siren Charms was the first album where, for me, it wasn't In Flames any more. No upbeat melodies, no energy, no incredible guitar harmonies, mostly clean vocals and really weak screamed vocals, cringeworthy lyrics. The album was an absolute betrayal of everything they had done previously.

It's strange because, from what I've heard, Battles has replaced a lot of those elements. These songs do have energy, they do have upbeat melodies, there are guitar harmonies and there is a better mixture of good quality screams and cleans - but somehow, it's even LESS In Flames than Siren Charms. It's like they are trying to be another band entirely.

This is what I mean by the band failing to mature. There is no maturation of sound between any of the last four albums. They are just jumping around between metal/rock genres and losing any identity they once had.

If you had to sum up modern In Flames, how would you do it?

Great guitar harmonies? Well, not really in SC.

Incredible vocal melodies? No, not really. SOAPF is the closest you come to that.

Amazing solos? Wahhh wahhhh...

Metal? Sounds more like rock.

Rock? Too many metal elements.

The Truth? The fuck is that?

Seriously... this band has lost its way. I wonder if Christian Joe had listened to a single In Flames album before joining to mimic those midi drums that Bjorn laid out over a few beers one night?

Reactions: eochaid
You see, that would not have been fine in my books. If you can make another - as you said - moody record right after SC that would just mean they did not give their best when recording SC.

Oh, I meant it more in terms of iteration. Like, if Siren Charms foreshadowed a similar but even better record. Kind of like how Dark Tranquillity's Construct (which I thought was okay) paved the way for the amazing Atoma. In this case, it wouldn't be that they didn't give their all on SC - it would be that SC opened the door to something even better that they weren't capable of before.

Like, I still listen to the first album I ever recorded, and while I think my subsequent albums were far better, I still gave 100% on that first one.

I wonder if Christian Joe had listened to a single In Flames album before joining to mimic those midi drums that Bjorn laid out over a few beers one night?
Damn haha, I just imagined a drunken, bored Björn doing some drum samples in FL Studio, while he's resting and almost falling asleep on his other arm. Maybe Save Me is about Anders seeking help from drunken Björn? The plot thickens!

Oh, I meant it more in terms of iteration. Like, if Siren Charms foreshadowed a similar but even better record. Kind of like how Dark Tranquillity's Construct (which I thought was okay) paved the way for the amazing Atoma. In this case, it wouldn't be that they didn't give their all on SC - it would be that SC opened the door to something even better that they weren't capable of before.

Like, I still listen to the first album I ever recorded, and while I think my subsequent albums were far better, I still gave 100% on that first one.
I see your logic, but has IF ever done that? TJR-Whoracle-Colony is the only time their progression seemed reasonable, like, you kinda understand how they made one record another. From Clayman onwards it's just all over the place.

Siren Charms was the first album where, for me, it wasn't In Flames any more. No upbeat melodies, no energy, no incredible guitar harmonies, mostly clean vocals and really weak screamed vocals, cringeworthy lyrics. The album was an absolute betrayal of everything they had done previously.

I can see that, yeah. It is wildly different from their usual. And it's not like their usual has any consistent definition in the first place, twelve albums in.

For me it was a "holy shit, this is so different and yet I love it, how is this possible?" so it didn't come across as a betrayal to me. Whereas I had to learn to love ASOP and, to a lesser extent, SOAPF. It felt more like the kind of occasional tangent a band might take to explore different facets of their own sound. I consider it the mellow, vocally-driven, atmospheric black sheep of the In Flames discography. Some consider it, idk, St. Anger: More Swedish?

To me, Battles shows more elements common to non-SC In Flames records, and yet it feels so un-In Flames at the same time. Will have to wait for the full release!

Last edited:
I see your logic, but has IF ever done that? TJR-Whoracle-Colony is the only time their progression seemed reasonable, like, you kinda understand how they made one record another. From Clayman onwards it's just all over the place.

Well, not exactly, but I can hope, can I? =P

I've always felt, for instance, that Whoracle was an expansion on The Jester Race. More energetic, more overt melodies, while still keeping that dystopian theme and sound. Colony to Clayman and Come Clarity to A Sense of Purpose were similar progressions in that regard, I think (the follow-up usually proving more diverse/melodic, but still retaining a similar feel to its predecessor). I never actually thought Whoracle and Colony sounded all that similar. It's like a whole new band at that point.

I've also never heard much of a leap from Clayman to Reroute, aside from the production and more obvious use of keyboards and singing. STYE, on the other hand, is a tangent.

I think Whoracle-Colony is a pretty big change, from a more folky, melodic death metal sound to something that is distinctly heavy metal with screaming vocals.

Up until SOAPF I could still vaguely track some form of progression, but truly since Come Clarity they have been in a permanent state of identity crisis. From nu-metal, to straight up heavy metal, to metal/rock hybrid, pure rock, and whatever the hell Siren Charms is.

What's the saying? Jack of all trades, master of none. That is what In Flames has become.

I can see that, yeah. It is wildly different from their usual. And it's not like their usual has any consistent definition in the first place, twelve albums in.

For me it was a "holy shit, this is so different and yet I love it, how is this possible?" so it didn't come across as a betrayal to me. Whereas I had to learn to love ASOP and, to a lesser extent, SOAPF. It felt more like the kind of occasional tangent a band might take to explore different facets of their own sound. I consider it the mellow, vocally-driven, atmospheric black sheep of the In Flames discography. Some consider it, idk, St. Anger: More Swedish?

To me, Battles shows more elements common to non-SC In Flames records, and yet it feels so un-In Flames at the same time. Will have to wait for the full release!

I've got no problem with you liking Siren Charms bro, it's all about opinion. People like different things, and that's cool. I just hate when people try to use Siren Charms as an example of In Flames maturing, or suggesting it is in any way an extension of their old sound. It absolutely is not. It's a total departure in a way that even Reroute, STYE or ASOP were not.

As I say, Battles is more in the vein of traditional In Flames... but at the same time, on so many levels it really isn't. Somehow Siren Charms, the black sheep, is at its core more In Flames than what I've heard so far from Battles. That kind of blows my mind, in a bad way.

Reactions: only4theweak187

I'll take you up on that - just to prove I'm not just throwing shit out there. This review is as ridiculous as all of the others.

That said it would also be completely remiss of me to create the impression that modern day In Flames is a completely different beast to original In Flames. Yes there is a marked difference in the output, with newer material flirting with more mainstream rock and metal as well as introducing more modern effects and embellishments. However, the music remains very distinctive and cannot be confused in any way with any other band.

This is wrong right from the start. To suggest SC or what we've heard so far from Battles is part of the distinctive In Flames sound of the past is laughable.

I now find myself in a position where I’m firmly thinking that ‘Battles’ could well be the best album that In Flames have delivered since ‘Reroute To Remain’ in 2002.

This kind of statement should instantly start alarm bells ringing. No reviewer should be saying stuff like that after a week's worth of listening to an album. You need much more time to digest an album before trying to claim it's better than albums dating back 14 years.

if you’re someone who can appreciate quality metal music, you’re sure to lap this record up.

Can this oracle of music enlighten us as to what "quality metal music" is? What is he defining as the criteria here, objectively? Dare I suggest this is a baseless statement written by a know-it-all bullshitter.

As always for In Flames, the production is massive

Again, what does he mean by massive? Thin and with serious volume fluctuations within the mix? More nonsense.

Nearly every single one of the twelve songs on offer features a strong melody, hook-laden chorus, memorable vocal or infectious groove.

Judging from what we've heard so far this is a massive overstatement.

To my mind, this is part of what has been lacking over the previous couple of records and which led to my general malaise where In Flames were concerned; if In Flames were going to plough a new musical furrow, I at least wanted it to be interesting and engaging. Sadly, ‘Siren Charms’ did not deliver as far as I was concerned and ‘Sounds Of A Playground Fading’ was hit and miss at best.

Again, absolutely laughable. He may have a point with SC, but to say melodies, hook-laden choruses, memorable vocals and infectious grooves are missing from SOAPF? Even objectively that's wrong. This guy has no idea what he is talking about.

'The End’ quickly follows and instantly, the groove carries me away. The guitar tones, leads and riffs do hint heavily to the earlier days of the band, there’s no denying it.

By early days, does he mean ASOP or SOAPF? In no way do these guitar tones, leads or riffs hint towards TJR, Whoracle, Colony or Clayman.

As I alluded to earlier, one of the big bones of contention amongst fans relates to Fridén’s vocals. There can be no argument that over the years, he has experimented with different styles, mainly opting for a cleaner delivery. On ‘Battles’ however, he gets the balance just about right, I think. The clean croon is present and correct, but so are the gruff screams that typified earlier releases.

Is he really comparing Anders' current screams with what we heard 15-20 years ago? Come on. No comment on 'clean croon', but the guy clearly has very low standards.

‘The Truth’ begins like an electronic dance track and introduces what sounds like a child’s choir to enhance the truly anthemic chorus, accented by more old-school In Flames lead guitar work.

He just compared The Truth with old school In Flames. I have no words.

Battles’ then comes to a close via excellent ‘Save Me’, which teases us with its ideal blend of old and new. The highly digitised vocals at the beginning are then replaced by a classic-sounding lead guitar line that has a nostalgic warmth to it, like the return of an old friend, making me smile in the process. The chorus is more in keeping with more modern mainstream metal but yet again, it’s absolutely enormous and the whole thing comes together in a powerful and majestic manner, the perfect way to close the album.

How could anybody, having heard Save Me, read this and do anything but laugh and/or shake their head? This reviewer is either a complete moron or been paid to write this nonsense. The way he keeps pretending these songs are harkening back to the good old days is pretty pathetic.

I made my peace a long time ago with the fact that I would never hear In Flames treading old ground.

Really, chief? Because the way you continually reference the old school sound in relation to Battles, totally falsely, suggests you are not over it at all and in total denial.

I am firmly of the opinion that the material on ‘Battles’ is some of the most vital, hungry and passionate music that In Flames have recorded for well over a decade. And you have no idea how genuinely delighted I am to be able to say that.

And the review ends, appropriately, with an absolutely ridiculous comment.

Seriously, reading that made me realise how easy it must be to become a reviewer and get CD's sent to you. You can write utter bollocks and it doesn't matter. This review would be funny if it wasn't so sad and wrong on so many points.

But yeah... other than that, it's all good.

Reactions: eochaid and A88
Reviewer is deaf, stupid or paid. Or all that. And reviews like this plus fanboybase who will eat everything if it's served with IF tittle is the reason we're getting worse and worse records every year. Why invest some effort, find capable musicians, spend 3-4 years writing 10 good songs, when you can get by with shit like SC or Battles? Even within this genre there is much better music than latest IF records.

Oh, and I just love how they always go with: "Old IF are never coming back, it would be boring to record TJR again and again, metal fans are stupid because they can't see how synth pop with emo screams, plus massive amount of fake vocals and autotune without any notable instrumental effort or substance is actually a musical progression and awesome, ahem, metal".

Same goes for production. This is "massive"? Fuck. Just... Fuck.

Also, pretty much all IF albums blow this shit out of the water. Some Linkin park stuff too.

To think we once thought ASOP was the low point, with all those cool riffs, melodies and some smart hooks and songwriting!?

To think we once thought ASOP was the low point, with all those cool riffs, melodies and some smart hooks and songwriting!?

I remember when Reroute and then STYE were the lowpoints :D if there's one thing SC and Battles have done, it's give the older albums - including ASOP - a much better retrospective view.

I get what you mean but still some of the points you make above are still in a way subject to opinion and taste. Eg. the point you make on Ander's screams and on Save Me.

If you allocated as much energy and enthusiasm in critiquing some of the more negative reviews, you'd come up with loads of points as well.

I get what you mean but still some of the points you make above are still in a way subject to opinion and taste. Eg. the point you make on Ander's screams and on Save Me.

So you think his screams now sound similar to TJR, Whoracle, Colony or Clayman? Because that's basically what your reviewer was saying.

I'll expend my energy as I wish, you can do the same. Just don't give us a ridiculous review and act like it's an issue when it's rightly ripped apart as being absolute nonsense.

So you think his screams now sound similar to TJR, Whoracle, Colony or Clayman? Because that's basically what your reviewer was saying.

I'll expend my energy as I wish, you can do the same. Just don't give us a ridiculous review and act like it's an issue when it's rightly ripped apart as being absolute nonsense.

He said " The clean croon is present and correct, but so are the gruff screams that typified earlier releases." You decided that the albums he was comparing to are TJR, Whoracle or Clayman, not me. How do you know he wasnt comparing to SOAPF, R2R which yes I think there are some similarities.

Again, the fact that its a "ridiculous review" is yours, A88's and eochaid's view. You are biased to some extend and that's clearly reflected all over your comments and critiques.

Sorry if I offended you by making a joke when posting the review.

He said " The clean croon is present and correct, but so are the gruff screams that typified earlier releases." You decided that the albums he was comparing to are TJR, Whoracle or Clayman, not me. How do you know he wasnt comparing to SOAPF, R2R which yes I think there are some similarities.

Again, the fact that its a "ridiculous review" is yours, A88's and eochaid's view. You are biased to some extend and that's clearly reflected all over your comments and critiques.

Sorry if I offended you by making a joke when posting the review.

You'll have to do a lot more than this to offend me, bro :D I've been through wars with Krofius, Clay-Man, WAIF, and other scoundrels. You'll do well to match their skulduggery.

The review is nonsense on an objective level as well as subjective. The guy is almost as all over the place as In Flames themselves - maybe that's why he's digging Battles?

Again, the fact that its a "ridiculous review" is yours, A88's and eochaid's view.
Of course. Or do you think that when listening to music, or watching a movie or playing a videogame we all listen, watch and play the same thing? No. Even the reviewer has listened to a different album than you will, because it all depends on our perceptions.

The forum is going to explode when Battles is leaked. I expect an A88, DE4life and
You'll have to do a lot more than this to offend me, bro :D I've been through wars with Krofius, Clay-Man, WAIF, and other scoundrels. You'll do well to match their skulduggery.

Actually my view on the new songs that they are generally ok/average but nowhere near the highs of pre-SC. So not actually a fanboy.

Of course. Or do you think that when listening to music, or watching a movie or playing a videogame we all listen, watch and play the same thing? No. Even the reviewer has listened to a different album than you will, because it all depends on our perceptions.

Thats not the point I was making. The point is that you are biased when reading and interpreting stuff.