IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Pretty much agree with every dude on that sub Reddit.
2016, like all the years before it since clayman was released, has been a fucking disappointment. I think this is the year i finally stop paying any attention to this fucking band.
I just wanna quit you, In Flames.

And one guy brought up the Pendulum Self vs Self collab. That was a bad ass song. After I heard 6+ years ago that I went back and listened to all of Pendulums songs and unfortunately didn't like them. But that song is awesome. I wish THAT was the direction they would go in for their 2019 album.

And regarding that 2 week demo period for this album. Imagine if they just spent 2 weeks every year doing demos. That would be at least twice as much songwriting time as they have been doing. We'd at least get a SOAPF. Every 6 months take a 1 week off and write and record. 6 months later when you wrote again you'll throw half away, improve what's left, and come up with some new stuff. I know they wrote their early stuff fast but Fredrik was strict and filtered the heck out of it. If they wrote demos early and came back later, they themselves could gain the benefit of objective review.

I'm a big fan of EPs. If all of the last In Flames albums were EPs, condensed and distilled to the core I'd be happier. They don't have enough meat on these bones.

Unfortunately, I think I'll retain my interest in this band until they cease to exist :D I mean, if I was going to stop giving a shit about them it would have been after Siren Charms. I really can't imagine they will ever go any lower than that. Admittedly, I remember thinking similar after STYE and ASOP... but still, objectively, Siren Charms really is bottom of the barrel. It would be really hard for them to make anything I would hate more. I'd take an album of songs based around The Truth's sound than another Siren Charms.

Anybody rating it so fast is rating based on gut reaction. It'll come up.

Yeah, my first reaction was 4-5/10, but on repeated listens closer to 5.5-6/10. It's a long way from what they're capable of (see: SOAPF) but still a definite improvement on the abomination that was Siren Charms.

My copy of Battles still didn't come in yet, but Atoma finally did and the credits say that Bjorn Gelotte did the solo on Force of Hand.

Now that is just amazing.

First of all, great song. Second, part before solo sounds a bit like Skyfire. Then solo starts, and everything has Opeth vibe.

Bjorn probably invested some time writing this.

Screw you man. I've just started to like parts of Battles, then you reminded me how much better album Atoma is.

So people, how would you rate new Insomnium, DT and IF albums on 1-10 scale?

Haven't listened to Insomnium.

DT - Atoma - 8/10. Really solid album. For me personally, not as good as The Gallery or Damage Done, but definitely on par with Character and Fiction.

I'll settle on 5.5/10 for Battles. Listenable. Better than SC. Not as good as SOAPF. About on par with ASOP, but for different reasons.

Winter's Gate I'd say at least 9.5/10. I really like it a lot. Had it on repeat for a while and still put it on consistently.

Atoma, probably 8/10. Really solid album. Not sure how I would rank it among the rest of their discography as I really like all of their albums.

Haven't listened to Battles yet other than the singles twice each. Waiting for the physical CD to come in and even then I don't know if I'll pop it in right away. I guess I should listen to it before I see them Tuesday night.

Hardwired to self destruct leaked.

It's fucking amazing. Some of the melodies remind me a lot of IF in their prime. (Spit out the bone 3:58 for example)

Gonna check out new metallica tmrw.

Insomnium - 8.9/10

DT - 9/10

Battles - 6.75/10

Siren Charms - 3.5/10

My ratings personally are conclusively judged by the level of music each band is currently capable of imo

I didn't really like new Metallica to be honest. Granted, I'm no huge Metallica fan, I don't listen to them regularly but mostly like RtL and MoP albums.
From the new album, Moth Into Flame is actually really good, Spit Out the Bone also really good. But too much mid or even low tempo songs for my taste. Most songs have this type of start-stop intro with the drums as well. I don't really like the production of the drums, or at least the kickdrums, they sound way to ''clicky''. I'm sure Metallica fans will love the album though, definitely a step up.

By the way regarding new IF album, it's not SUPER similar, but Us Against The World intro reminds me a bit of Suburban Me.

W.Gate - 8.5/10

Good album. Lacks more material. And, while I like the concept, I think they should've named the parts.

Atoma - 9/10

Another good album, but I do like DD a bit more. Maybe it's nostalgia. At leat half of Atoma is perfect.

Battles - 4.5/10

My copy of Battles still didn't come in yet, but Atoma finally did and the credits say that Bjorn Gelotte did the solo on Force of Hand.
God damn, and that's my favorite song on Atoma. That's awesome! I remember when I first heard that solo I was like "wow, this is very In Flames". Not a coincidence, turns out.

It's hard for me to rate IF and DT albums on a scale, mostly because I like each band's newer material for reasons different than what draws me to their old work. Like, if we're using the old IF as a metric, Battles would be, like, a 4/10. If we're going with middle-era or new IF, probably a 7.5/10. But I like early, middle and late In Flames just about equally. Same goes for DT.

Here's my ranking for each band:

In Flames
- The Jester Race
- Siren Charms
- Colony / Reroute to Remain
- Soundtrack to Your Escape / Come Clarity
- Whoracle / Clayman / Sounds of a Playground Fading
- A Sense of Purpose / Battles
- Lunar Strain

Dark Tranquillity
- Projector
- The Gallery
- Damage Done / Atoma
- Fiction
- Character / We Are the Void
- The Mind's I / Haven
- Construct
- Skydancer

Not a bad set list, although this was a festival show last night, still need to see what they play in full at the first club/venue show:

1. Bullet Ride
2. Leeches
3. System
4. Alias
5. Where Dead Ships Dwell
6. The End
7. Through Oblivion
8. Only For The Weak
9. Cloud Connected
10. The Truth
11. Paralyzed
12. Take this Life

Toss out Through Oblivion for something else and I'm optimistic. Bringing back System & Leeches is great. Opening w/ Bullet Ride is awesome too. Paralyzed is meh, but oh well.

(Understand they're going to play The Truth so not even mentioning it)

Never liked The Gallery that much. OK album, but overrated IMO.

W.Gate - 8.5/10

Good album. Lacks more material. And, while I like the concept, I think they should've named the parts.

Atoma - 9/10

Another good album, but I do like DD a bit more. Maybe it's nostalgia. At leat half of Atoma is perfect.

Battles - 4.5/10
They did name the parts. At least in the booklet they did. Slaughter Moon, The Golden Wolf, At The Gates of Winter, The Gate Opens, The Final Stand, and Into the Sleep. I actually really like that they didn't break it up into 6 songs like Dream Theater did with Six Degrees. But then again, Six Degrees was kinda written as 8 songs that can stand on their own so it works.

Reactions: A88
Not a bad set list, although this was a festival show last night, still need to see what they play in full at the first club/venue show:

1. Bullet Ride
2. Leeches
3. System
4. Alias
5. Where Dead Ships Dwell
6. The End
7. Through Oblivion
8. Only For The Weak
9. Cloud Connected
10. The Truth
11. Paralyzed
12. Take this Life

Toss out Through Oblivion for something else and I'm optimistic. Bringing back System & Leeches is great. Opening w/ Bullet Ride is awesome too. Paralyzed is meh, but oh well.

(Understand they're going to play The Truth so not even mentioning it)

All things considered, not a bad setlist. Nice to see Leeches in there. Disappointing that there's more SC than SOAPF.

From that we've got

Lunar/Sub/Jester Race/Whoracle/Colony - 0
Clayman - 2
R2R - 2
STYE - 0
Come Clarity - 2
ASOP - 1
SOAPF - 1
SC - 2
Battles - 2

With the average 19/20 song set they tend to play you'd expect another three from Battles, one extra each from SOAPF and SC, TQP or MSS from STYE, and hopefully at least one song from pre-2000.

Never liked The Gallery that much. OK album, but overrated IMO.

I felt similar until a few years ago, then the album just really clicked with me, and now I love it. Punish My Heaven and Lethe are two of the best songs they've ever written. The rest are really solid melodeath.

For DT my album preferences would go something like

- Damage Done
- The Gallery
- Skydancer/Of Chaos and Eternal Night
- Character
- Atoma
- The Mind's I
- Projector
- Fiction
- Haven
- We Are The Void/Construct

Reactions: only4theweak187
They won't be doing longer setlist until they start European tour after the New Year. And I expect more than 3 Battles song if they're doing 20~ songs. They usually do 4-6 new songs if there's that long of a setlist, when the album is fresh that is.

While we are speaking about other stuff, I just need to share one of my absolute favorite tracks I've ever heard, even though it's still just 2months old. The atmosphere in the song is so sick with the keyboards. Best vocalist in Metal by FAR, and one of the best drum productions I've heard in a long time, along with a great guitar tapping solo. Just a magical song in my opinion. If you find Devin Townsend and like his music, it's like a goddamn treasure chest, there are so much good and different styles of music to listen to that he's created over the years.

Last edited: