IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Falconer would sound ridiculous with growls :D Vocals are fantastic, sounds totally different to the standard power metal vocals everybody has heard 100000000x times. I mean, granted, Mathias Blad is no Anders Friden :rolleyes: but he does alright.

Falconer is a great band. Nice music, pleasant vocals. No tight-pants high vocals common to other power metal bands.

I will say I didn't mind Kristoffer Göbel's vocals on The Sceptre of Deception. Not as good as Mathias but Night of Infamy, Under the Sword and Hear Me Pray are nice tracks.

So many great Falconer songs made even better by Blad's vocals though. Pretty much the whole Northwind album is 2 or 3 points higher thanks to the vocals.

Falconer is so far really the only power metal I've liked. The vocals as majestic and powerful as they are, aren't over the top for me luckily and the guitar play is great. Very folky guitar melodies and deff doesn't feel gimmicky as far the themes they talk about go; Heresy in Disguise, Lord of the Blacksmith, Mindtraveller etc. All awesome guitar riffing/melodies

I've tried listening to other power metal bands and it all sounds so lame and cringey to me... Falconer's vocalist at least sounds more masculine while still sounding the way he does.

The main riff of "Here Until Forever" is deff as you said DE4, very power metal. Too bad it was used in that song where it doesn't fit that "rock ballad" type style

n riff of "Here Until Forever" is deff as you said DE4, very power metal. Too bad it was used in that song where it doesn't fit that "rock ballad" type style

Yeah, I love that starting riff, hate the rest of the song. Bad times.

I'm quite a big power metal enthusiast, but can understand why people would find the vocals/general themes difficult to tolerate. Even for me it gets a little over the top, sometimes.

Some other PM/Melodic Metal bands that aren't so OTT on the vocal scale:

My tolerance for PM vocals might be a bit higher than others, but if you don't find an awesome song somewhere in there... then you question me? I QUESTION YOU.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Well, I'm a bit late but I wanted to hear the whole thing several times. So here's my review for battles:

Drained: Perfect way to start the album, I love the spoken words from Anders and then the powerful riff. Nice screaming verses, amazing chorus with nice guitar work. Anders sounds very emotional, hurt and frustrated. Solo slightly better than the end. 8/10

The End: I think we can all agree that this is the best song from the new album. This is how I want modern In Flames to sound like.I can't seem to get tired of this song no matter how many times I've listened to it. 9/10

Like Sand: Intro and guitar melody reminds me of Satellites and Astronauts, which I like. The song builds up nicely but the chorus it's kind of disappointing. It's not bad, but I was expecting something more. Some lyrics sound stupid and the use of electronics ruins the song for me. 6/10

The Truth: At first, I couldn't believe that this was an In Flames' song. Then it grew on me, the chorus is very catchy and the solo is decent. However, I got tired of it very quickly and I barely come back to listen.I don't know if this is experimentation or they just try to become radio friendly. 6/10

In My Room: Nice intro, weird yet interesting verses by Anders. The chorus is awesome and is stuck in my head. Great solo by Bjorn. Solid track. 8/10

Before I Fall: I love the intro,nice work bjorn. The song builds up again nicely and the chorus is interesting with a good use of choir. Lazy lyrics, but it's a sing along. Also, I love the screams on the second verse ( I know you bleed for me and I know... ) 7/10

Through My Eyes: Some heavy guitars on it and screaming verses. Definitely the heaviest track on the record. Pre-chorus and chorus are amazing. The only bad thing is that the production seems weird. 8/10

Battles :Another effort to become radio friendly, but much better than the truth. There is still an In Flames' vibe on it. Nice verses and the chorus is so damn epic. 8/10

Here Until Forever: Great guitar melody on the intro. It is an emotional song for Anders and I like the concept behind it ( it's about his son ) . Chorus is good, again there is a choir. One thing I have to notice is that Anders tries some high notes on this song and he nails it. I don't know if he can sing this live,though 7/10

Underneath My Skin: I don't know how I feel about this one. It seems like a filler, an indifferent song. However the verses are decent and there are some screams which reminded me of Howard Jones. Chorus is ok. 6/10

Wallflower: Certainly, it is not that great as I thought by reading the reviews. It's a good song,though. The long intro isn't boring and I love the guitar work. Nice chorus and I am glad they finally tried a different song structure. Anders has a midlife crisis, you can hear that all over his lyrics. 7/10

Save Me: Nice guitar with some decent melodies. Screaming verses and an epic pre-chorus and chorus. A catchy song, too much use of the phrase save me. 7/10

Greatest Greed: That intro riff is a killer. Love it. Nice screams by Anders and a chorus which I found weird at first, but it grew on me and I like it. 7/10

Us Against The World: The worst song on the album. The band doesn't seem to know the direction they want to go. Boring chorus. 4/10

Overall: I believe it's a good album with some great moments and it's worth spending your money on. There are good riffs, nice melodies, solos, screams, epic choruses and some experimentation . Anders has improved a lot his singing ( he went to a vocal coach ) and Bjorn has some good and bad moments. Glad Nicklas took part in the writing proccess. New drummer is indifferent. What I don't like? The direction they are heading.They recorded in America with Howard Benson who was involved maybe too much. They used too much electronics and choirs. They hired an American drummer. Nothing wrong with all these, but they have to keep a balance and don't get too far from the European-Swedish sound. 7/10

I finally listened to Battles and I might like SC better. I don't like the talk/verse thing on most SC songs, but I'll put up with that over the multiple sing-alongs, the "We are, we are, we are the whole world, the whole world, the whole world, but you ripped the heart out, you ripped the heart out, your ripped the heart out", and Anders literally trying to sound like American punk/pop rock bands. Other than a few riffs, I don't recognize anything as In Flames. I'll give it another listen at some point in my life, I'm sure. It just doesn't seem like it's for me.

Good tunes DE4, bunch of tracks there I dig and will check out more. I also had a feeling you'd throw some Sabaton in there as well because they rule. Seeing them headline my local venue in April : ]

Good tunes DE4, bunch of tracks there I dig and will check out more. I also had a feeling you'd throw some Sabaton in there as well because they rule. Seeing them headline my local venue in April : ]

Sabaton are really cool guys, and a great live band. Enjoy.

If you can, grab Edge of Thorns - Ravenland from somewhere. It's a really underrated album. The rest of those bands are all moderately popular but Edge of Thorns seem to have slipped under the radar.

Struggling to (and failing) not absolutely hate Anders' struggle to sing The End live. It is outright embarrassing.

If you can't sing it, don't make it in a tuning you can't sing in.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtotheK
"Us Against the World" gets stuck in my head repeatedly, so that one's definitely grown on me.

I keep thinking the opening riff of "Greatest Greed" is going to segue into the opening verse of "The Chase". I find myself just going back and listening to that song instead. :D

"Drained" continues to be my #1 go-to track on Battles. Again, I love the first six songs + Wallflower.

It's funny that Battles is pretty straight forward.

No epic wars to be had

Battles... the best we can say about it is that it exists.

Time to see how Christian Joe is live.

I hope he comes to the front of the stage at the end of the show and starts handing out bibles. Then somebody throws one back and knocks him out.

Struggling to (and failing) not absolutely hate Anders' struggle to sing The End live. It is outright embarrassing.

I feel embarrassed every time I hear Anders sing live. The worst offender is Come Clarity (atrocious, every time he's ever done it live), but I don't think I've ever heard him sing live and think "that sounds okay". Always dreadful. Going to a vocal coach is fine but he needed to do that 10-15 years ago, it seems a bit late now.

You've got a trade off between the albums. Instrumentally ASOP is far superior to Battles, but vocally Battles is much better. Vocals on ASOP are some of the worst I've ever heard.
While battles has probably the worst guitars that they've ever released. A friend of mine told me about weird numbers of compasses and other things that I couldn't understand since I don't study music. But it sounded really bad.

I just wanna quit you, In Flames
After waking up from a really bad week end i decided and I'm quitting them, at least their new releases, unless they decide to do something a little interesting. I'm not interested in them anymore, not the current if.

Can you link the video you saw? Cause as far as I can see there only 1 single video of them performing The End, and you can't really hear the vocals in the chorus that much because of audience + backing choir. I thought the verses sounded very good though.

You always think he sounds good.

And Anders "sounding good" is same as average low ability singer on a really bad day.

Guy has to be one of the, if not THE worst singer I've ever heard. Talking abou cleans, voice color, abillity to hold notes, to hit notes...

He just walks around the stage, bent over, doing funny moves, trying to get hold of some air, while singing goes in the background.

Then, when he tries to mask it, he does what he doesn't want to do in the studio, screams or half-growls.

Reactions: eochaid
Well, this died off quickly.

Guys, it was nice hanging out with you. See ya all next time. :)

Or... maybe our (non)drinking buddy Jesper releases mdm killer. Now that would be a good subject.
That's what I said last night. Like Only4theweak pointed out, it's because there are no arguments about the album. Pretty straightforward general consensus.