IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Yeah, LtM still holds attention (btw, nice live videos online), Battles just do not. Sorry. I've stumbled upon IF live video for OFTW. My God, Anders butchered that one, guitars are plastic, keys cartoon-like. WTF happened?

Can't even call myself a fan anymore. Just can't see any real value in their music, and Bjorn aside, that whole group of people is just annoying.

Strong words bro, but I agree. I'll always be a fan of 1994-2014 In Flames, but I have no interest in Siren Charms and somehow with Battles they made something just as shit in a completely different way. Modern In Flames isn't a band my past or current self would have any interest in, and I have zero faith the current line up will ever produce anything I'll be interested in. If Jesper, Daniel and Peter ever come back then maybe something could be salvaged... but I rate those chances as being extremely low. Not sure Jesper would want to go back to working with Anders now that he's working with a genuine singer who he actually seems to get along with.

I never listen to current live IF stuff. To me it's not In Flames anymore. Not with the Americans and the bloke from Engelin on stage. Sorry, it's just a cover band that happens to have the original vocalist and one of the guitarists. And yes I'm aware all bands go through personnel changes but when three long standing members leave and are replaced by people like Bryce Paul and CJ I just don't see the band as legitimate anymore, even if they can play the past songs adequately. For the record, I never thought they got the sound of the keys on OFTW right, even on much older recordings. The album track mixed the guitars and keys better than they ever managed live.

Reactions: A88
Letters to Myself was better than Battles but unfortunately hasn’t had much staying power in my rotation. A few of the songs are memorable like Heartrage but I don’t feel a huge need to listen again, at least not regularly.

I’m hoping they get a new album out soon, I’m sure that Shining guy has been writing like crazy given his enthusiasm level on their videos. Hopefully Jesper is in a good mood and embraces the new material even if it is different than his vision. I want to hear some creative stuff, just let this new guy run with it. Otherwise Cyrha might die a very quick death.

I never listen to current live IF stuff. To me it's not In Flames anymore. Not with the Americans and the bloke from Engelin on stage. Sorry, it's just a cover band that happens to have the original vocalist and one of the guitarists. And yes I'm aware all bands go through personnel changes but when three long standing members leave and are replaced by people like Bryce Paul and CJ I just don't see the band as legitimate anymore, even if they can play the past songs adequately. For the record, I never thought they got the sound of the keys on OFTW right, even on much older recordings. The album track mixed the guitars and keys better than they ever managed live.
Well that’s how the band is structured now — all new members have zero creative input. It’s bullshit because you can see with only two creative members, they are out of ideas and suffering. Why not let the new guys contribute? Why is everyone stifled creatively? Seems like a bad environment — very transactional and prescribed interaction. Play the song, be reliable, get paid. That has led nowhere, weird they keep continuing on that way.

Well that’s how the band is structured now — all new members have zero creative input. It’s bullshit because you can see with only two creative members, they are out of ideas and suffering. Why not let the new guys contribute? Why is everyone stifled creatively? Seems like a bad environment — very transactional and prescribed interaction. Play the song, be reliable, get paid. That has led nowhere, weird they keep continuing on that way.

Agreed. It's basically the Anders & Bjorn project with Niclas, Bryce Paul and CJ playing the role of session/live touring musicians. I don't consider any of them a part of In Flames. It's kind of sad because Engelin is actually a decent creative mind. He at least has some credibility as a respected metal artist and was a part of In Flames' past, playing with them around the Whoracle era. Bryce Paul and CJ can fuck off.

Agreed. It's basically the Anders & Bjorn project with Niclas, Bryce Paul and CJ playing the role of session/live touring musicians. I don't consider any of them a part of In Flames. It's kind of sad because Engelin is actually a decent creative mind. He at least has some credibility as a respected metal artist and was a part of In Flames' past, playing with them around the Whoracle era. Bryce Paul and CJ can fuck off.
Yeah, if the new guys wrote something and proved themselves maybe we would give them more respect. As of now they are cover band members, no more, no less. They will always be the new guys.

I never listen to current live IF stuff. To me it's not In Flames anymore.

+1

And it's not about member changes, it's about the spirit of the whole thing. Judas Priest got new members, and they've totally reinvigorated the band, while staying true to the classic sound, ideas and image. In Flames... well, everybody I know personally hates the new stuff (SC, B, that awful EP) or aren't interested at all. And we practically had an IF cover band like 10 years ago FFS.

For the record, I never thought they got the sound of the keys on OFTW right, even on much older recordings. The album track mixed the guitars and keys better than they ever managed live.

I hate OFTW keys, but this is beyond terrible (or comical). Real band would do it with one guitar chugging the rhythm, other playing melody. But hey, "you can't do it live, crowd doesn't move, yadayadayada blablabla oh, our music is sooo complex and no band ever had two or three guitar layers simultaneously...".

Engelin actually co-wrote several tracks on Battles. He didn't write anything on his own, though. Anders, Björn and Howard Benson the producer were involved in every track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_(album)

5 out of those 6 songs Engelin contributed to I'd consider among the better (or at least less crappy :D) tunes on the album: Drained, The End, Like Sand, Wallflower and Greatest Greed. Here Until Forever I just can't get into. So maybe Niclas actually made the album a bit better than what it would have been without him...

Yeah, if the new guys wrote something and proved themselves maybe we would give them more respect. As of now they are cover band members, no more, no less. They will always be the new guys.

Pretty much, and it's weird because it's not like Peter or Daniel really contributed creatively... but they were authentic. They were from that scene. Daniel in particular was distinctive on a lot of the albums (though not all of them). It was a real band. What we have now is just Anders and Bjorn, plus some other dudes they need to play the rest of the instruments. Even Niclas has basically been relegated to this.

I've always been against the idea of renaming the band, or retiring the In Flames name, but now I think there's a genuine validity in suggesting that. This ain't In Flames. Not to me. I'd rather anything new that was released was done so under the "Passenger" label, but Anders will use the In Flames name to get as much cash as he possibly can, dragging it through the mud.

+1

And it's not about member changes, it's about the spirit of the whole thing. Judas Priest got new members, and they've totally reinvigorated the band, while staying true to the classic sound, ideas and image. In Flames... well, everybody I know personally hates the new stuff (SC, B, that awful EP) or aren't interested at all. And we practically had an IF cover band like 10 years ago FFS.

Agree 100%. Core IF was always Anders, Jesper & Bjorn, but even though only one of them has gone it really feels like all three of them left. Anders is a totally different person and vocalist, even from the SOAPF days. Bjorn has sounded burned out and uninspired for two albums straight. IF is a hollow shell of what it used to be. All of that passion, energy and honesty is gone. The melody is still there but all other qualities have been replaced by malaise, predictability and apathy. Even Jester Slave (RIP?) and Krofius were negative about Battles. When even the most hardcore of fanboys are unable to even pretend they enjoy your work, something's gone wrong.

I hate OFTW keys, but this is beyond terrible (or comical). Real band would do it with one guitar chugging the rhythm, other playing melody. But hey, "you can't do it live, crowd doesn't move, yadayadayada blablabla oh, our music is sooo complex and no band ever had two or three guitar layers simultaneously...".

I seriously don't know why they don't play the melody with guitar instead. Would sound much better imo, but nah, fuck it, play those shitty keys even though you don't have a keyboard player (good job, PA system) and get everyone to jumpdafuckup.

Reactions: A88
Engelin actually co-wrote several tracks on Battles. He didn't write anything on his own, though. Anders, Björn and Howard Benson the producer were involved in every track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_(album)

5 out of those 6 songs Engelin contributed to I'd consider among the better (or at least less crappy :D) tunes on the album: Drained, The End, Like Sand, Wallflower and Greatest Greed. Here Until Forever I just can't get into. So maybe Niclas actually made the album a bit better than what it would have been without him...

I dunno, I'd be interested to know how the songwriting split went between the members. Howard fucking Benson co-writing anything under the label of In Flames is a fucking joke though. Do they really lack that much confidence in themselves that they have to get this bellend to help out? A list of bands he's worked with (as per wiki): Cold, Crazy Town, P.O.D, The All-American Rejects, Hoobastank, Flyleaf, Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, Seether, Third Day, Theory of a Deadman, Three Days Grace, Adam Lambert, Skillet, Santana, Caleb Johnson.

I mean, traditionally In Flames are who I listened to in order to get away from shitty bands like that. Why would they want to work with someone who...

Benson stated that he utilizes Auto-Tune in the studio and that those who don't are "nuts".

Oh, nvm. Makes sense now.

Well yeah, that's what I thought too, we don't know how much Niclas really contributed. Maybe Björn, Anders (and Howard?) wrote most of it and the others who got credited just added some little things. Then again, I could envision Niclas as being someone who has more inspiration left than our "dynamic duo".

At any rate, as long as Anders and Björn are in command, I guess there's little point in expecting any other person involved to help In Flames to a new era of greatness.

Btw the autotune comment was pretty good. :D

I just don't get any Engelin vibes from Battles... at all. That's not to say he didn't contribute, but if he did then... what? The song structures are all pretty similar. The riffs are bland and generic. I can't imagine he did anything with vocals or drums. To be honest it sounds like Benson wrote the entire album.

Truth be told, I'm not sure I want any Engelin vibes. Not a big fan of his other projects. Then again, Bjorn could use someone who can still write a half-decent riff. Even on SOAPF he was (re)cycling few riffs through the whole album.

Stupid...Sure, but I don't think you know what narcissistic means if you interpret that lyric line as Anders being narcissistic.

lol
When I see you I see me. Thats narcissistic or self centered. Choose whatever words you want.

Can the
Honestly I'm more interested in Cyhra's next album than In Flames'. I still listen to Letters to Myself semi-regularly, haven't spun Battles since the first few days it was released. With the current line up I don't see them producing another SOAPF, and that's the only direction they could go in that would really interest me. An In Flames with Bryce Paul, Christian Joe, Engelin, Bjorn and Hamster Anders wouldn't have appealed to me at any period in history, and it certainly doesn't now.

But of course I'll remain here to rip on their latest release anyway. Cuz that's how we roll.
Can the computer be considered an official member right now or should we have to wait for another album.

Niklas just released a side band and he said that he is working on material for that side band. So I don't know how much hesh going to be involved in the new album.

I just don't see the band as legitimate anymore, even if they can play the past songs adequately.
Like it or not they are a legitimate band. Those who left left. And Anders and Björn have the right, or rights, to keep on with the band's name, even if I dontd like it, even if theyret throwing shit to what they once were.

He cowrote some songs in battles.

ThatsT not fair. Peter and Daniel never wrote shit.

+1

Except for iron maiden.

Bjorn has sounded burned out and uninspired for two albums straight.
I think that this is just too much for him. ItsI not only that he's lazy. It's that he doesn't seem to be used to be the guy with the ideas. He was probably comfortable following Jesper and now hesh comfortable following Anders.

It's embarrassing seeing some videos of him talking about how to play the new stuff and saying things like this sounded better on my mind or you will surely play it better than I do.