IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Still like it, after listening to it a couple more times.
The chorus is good, and the clean portions actually sound good in my opinion.
Its a bit safe and as others have said, the solo isn't great and they hurry to the chorus way to fast.
But, hopefully, a lot of this have to do with it being the single and wont be something that's spread all over the album.

All the names are so boring so far tho' "The end"," Truth" and if "Battles" turns out to be a song title as well.

His cleans are not shitty as on some earlier efforts, but they do this from album to album. Meaning, it's all studio magic, and he has no style of singing he's comfortable with. Also, I think lack of moaning, sobing and wailing helps a lot.

As some of you guys pointed out, it doesn't even sound as IF song, lacking pretty much all trademark stuff. If not for Anders, I would honestly think it's some random young band doing competent take on modern whateveryouwannacallit genre of metal.

And, while guitarwork is much more pleasant then on SC, similar, or even recycled from SOAPF and maybe ASOP, I do hate the fact you can't hear a good riff or a melody in IF song longer than a few seconds, before everything sinks back into obscurity of background for next "big" chorus. Take The science of noise from last DT album... towards the end, new mean riff, very melodeath-y, kicks in, changes the song, and carries the stuff for a while, then they build a decent solo, and then go back to main theme.

Reactions: AtotheK and eochaid
That's my though. I like it but it's a song that any band can do. Nothing special and nothing new. I guess that they will end being like any other band instead of being an inspiration to others.

Today they lack character and personality.

Last edited:
And, while guitarwork is much more pleasant then on SC, similar, or even recycled from SOAPF and maybe ASOP, I do hate the fact you can't hear a good riff or a melody in IF song longer than a few seconds, before everything sinks back into obscurity of background for next "big" chorus. Take The science of noise from last DT album... towards the end, new mean riff, very melodeath-y, kicks in, changes the song, and carries the stuff for a while, then they build a decent solo, and then go back to main theme.

Yeah I agree with that 100%. There's no trademark IF melody in the song. And I love The Science of Noise example. Pretty much sums my ideas.

I was not impressed with the song at all. It sounded very uninspired. However, I am not unhappy with it. I know this will shock most people, but SC blew me away. SC is one of the most impressive albums I have ever heard. Just my opinion. No disrespect to any others. In Flames has not sounded rehashed until now with this single in my opinion, but this is what, their 13th record?? Gonna happen eventually. I love IF and I am not worried about all the nuances that everyone seems to discuss in these threads. I know there will be cool shit on the album somewhere and I respect them highly for not wanting to repeat themselves musically. No band will ever please everyone and I even think that if (to say something off topic slightly here...) that if "Master of Puppets" came out today, there would be fans bitching about it, you know?? They would find something to disapprove of. Anyway thanks for everyone sharing their thoughts! I would not even have heard the song yet, if it were not for this thread site! Also..., no one ever answered a previous question of mine. Does anyone else feel like it sounds like Bjorn is playing the drums on this track like the way it sounded on "Whoracle??"

Did anybody notice that The End is basically a ripoff of Deliver Us, weaker parts of A new dawn and Ropes if I'm not mistaken? Plus a few effects from SC, maybe even bonus tracks.

Reactions: eochaid
Nope I mean yes. It has parts from delight and angers and the chorus riffs and drums sound very similar to the chorus of a new dawn.

Did anybody notice that The End is basically a ripoff of Deliver Us, weaker parts of A new dawn and Ropes if I'm not mistaken? Plus a few effects from SC, maybe even bonus tracks.

There was definitely a SOAPF B-side feel to the track. Streets ahead of anything on SC, but not a patch on tracks like SOAPF, The Puzzle, Fear is the Weakness, Where the Dead Ships Dwell, and so on.

Reactions: A88
Oh my godness, programmed drums, really?! -_-
Band like In flames, in 2016, to go in LA, and record a new album without a real drummer. Can't believe this crap haha...
Btw, sorry to spoil the party, but this song is just....... not good :(

Get a fucking drummer...

Oh my godness, programmed drums, really?! -_-
Band like In flames, in 2016, to go in LA, and record a new album without a real drummer. Can't believe this crap haha...
Btw, sorry to spoil the party, but this song is just....... not good :(

Get a fucking drummer...
Programmed drums?? Shit, I didnt even notice. But I thought it was weird that they didn't have any news on a new drummer together with new promo pictures and news of a new album.
Wonder when we'll hear anything about that, they cant possible wait until the UK tour right?

Called the November release date! :) New song is really interesting, good after first listen. Really good production like always, and at least on this song, the cleans sound really awesome, they sound completely different than before. Melodies are on point. Nice mid-tempo song. 10 times better than Rusted Nail for sure. Also Blast_The_Virginborn I don't know what you are hearing, but those are not programmed drums lol. Niclas even posted a picture of the drummer when they were recording but only a body picture or feet or something.

EDIT: After 3 listens, it's really fucking good. Catchy in all the good ways, and some ''heavy verses'' where screams remind me a lot of Self vs Self with Pendulum.

Reactions: Laverna
I don't completely agree with the song being devoid of in flames trademark sounds. The intro is recognisable modern in flames, as is Bjorn's aimless wahhhh wahhhh solo.

Programmed drumms haha good joke .. because band like In Flames cant find a drummer only for the record.. In sweden- country full of metalheads good guitarists and drummers..

Are the drums really programmed...? I remember Niclas shared a picture of a drumkit on instagram back when they were recording the album

Interesting song, it gets better and better after every listen. Good production,guitar driven,heavy verses and melodic chorus. I really liked Anders' cleans after 2nd chorus. The children choir was a bit strange for me,but I got used to it after several listens. The artwork reminds me of STYE. My first impression of Battles is positive ( except dull titles ) and I'm looking forward to hear the rest of it. Also, can anyone understand the whole lyrics?

Last edited: