IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Guys I think I may be on my own here but The Truth has grown on me after now like 8 listens. I don't care that it's not like In Flames, it's better than Siren Charms (an album I quite like - 6.5/10) as you can tell there is some energy in it

I'm with you man, I like it. But then again, I have no clue what's happened to my music taste the last 10years. I pretty much accepted the song on the first try even tho' its not In flames at all, but that's probably what I expect from the band these days. Well, hopefully now that the more friendly singles are released, the rest of the songs are more in line of what I would expect from the band. If it sounds something like SOAPF I'll be happy as a cucumber.

And I cant wait to see the track list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riamu
I'm pretty sure the chorus for The End uses the same drum pattern as A New Dawn but a tiny bit slower. I like The End and I'll get used to The Truth even though the chorus is so far from being In Flames.

Christian, the ex-vocalist of Scar Symmetry, an amazing growler and singer made a solo album of pop-synth type music in almost the same fashion of that song just without heavy guitars or screams.

The difference is that he did it as a solo album, which is what Anders should do if he wants to make songs like The Truth. It should not be an In Flames song.

You could almost make an album out of Anders-inspired experimental shit now.

Anders Friden - Life is So Painful (2016)

1. Cloud Connected (Club Connected Remix)
2. Come Clarity
3. Your Bedtime Story is Scaring Everyone
4. The Chosen Pessimist
5. Jester's Door
6. Liberation
7. With Eyes Wide Open
8. Through Oblivion
9. Dead Eyes
10. The Truth

Fucking magical.

The difference is that he did it as a solo album, which is what Anders should do if he wants to make songs like The Truth. It should not be an In Flames song.

That... and C.A. can sing.

So guys, considering The truth (we all knew), I guess The end is how IF do the "heavy" stuff these days.

A few years ago I would be upset, kind of, but now I'm just waiting for the new Insomnium album.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor

2. Come Clarity
4. The Chosen Pessimist
5. Jester's Door
6. Liberation
7. With Eyes Wide Open
8. Through Oblivion
9. Dead Eyes
10. The Truth

Fucking magical.

I laughed to hard at this XD

2. Come Clarity
4. The Chosen Pessimist
5. Jester's Door
6. Liberation
7. With Eyes Wide Open
8. Through Oblivion
9. Dead Eyes
10. The Truth

Fucking magical.

Hahah, damn, I even like most of those songs.

I've had both songs on repeat for like an hour now, because despite what everyone says, I like them. I do like SC for the most part, even if it is their weakest album this side of Clayman (I only like a very select few songs before that, not at all a fan of the early vocal style), but this sounds a lot more energetic and interesting. I should mention my favorite song off SC is probably When the World Explodes and my favorite album, gun to my head, is Come Clarity.
As for these two singles, they did keep my hype up, because if the radio friendly stuff is this good (IMO) and the rest is even better, then Merry Christmas indeed. Anders singing sounds crisp, I do like the children choir, being a fan of "epic metal" too. I do like the synth sounds as well, because my second favorite music genre after Metal is Trance, so yay me on that :p
Nothing to complain about on the guitar side either, the riffs to me sound very In Flames. Granted, I've only been a real fan since like 2007, and started out with CC and ASOP, which would explain my aversion to the earlier albums I suppose.
I do hope and think this album will fit right in with the rest of IF's impressive library.
So there you have my take on it, let the flames engulf me or whatever :rofl:

I should also mention that I can't play any instruments or sing, and my technical knowledge about music and music production is very limited. I only judge by what makes my ears happy and nothing else ^^'

I've had both songs on repeat for like an hour now, because despite what everyone says, I like them. I do like SC for the most part, even if it is their weakest album this side of Clayman (I only like a very select few songs before that, not at all a fan of the early vocal style), but this sounds a lot more energetic and interesting. I should mention my favorite song off SC is probably When the World Explodes and my favorite album, gun to my head, is Come Clarity.
As for these two singles, they did keep my hype up, because if the radio friendly stuff is this good (IMO) and the rest is even better, then Merry Christmas indeed. Anders singing sounds crisp, I do like the children choir, being a fan of "epic metal" too. I do like the synth sounds as well, because my second favorite music genre after Metal is Trance, so yay me on that :p
Nothing to complain about on the guitar side either, the riffs to me sound very In Flames. Granted, I've only been a real fan since like 2007, and started out with CC and ASOP, which would explain my aversion to the earlier albums I suppose.
I do hope and think this album will fit right in with the rest of IF's impressive library.

I should also mention that I can't play any instruments or sing, and my technical knowledge about music and music production is very limited. I only judge by what makes my ears happy and nothing else ^^'

Based on your music tastes, I can understand why you'd like both songs. As I said, in isolation The Truth is OK, but as an In Flames song I find it offensive. The End I have no problem with, I'd even go as far as saying I like it. But like A88 says, it's not a song I'd go back to repeatedly to listen to in future. It isn't Stand Ablaze, Moonshield, The Jester Race, Jester Script Transfigured, Episode 666, Jotun, Embody the Invisible, Colony, and so on. It's just ear candy.

As long as nobody uses the "evolve" or "matured" lines in regards to The Truth I'm OK with people liking it.

I was expecting a pile of shit when I saw some of the people here describing The Truth, but I like the song. It's not great, but I've only listened to it 2 times on speakers. I like the chorus, some might call it cheesy but it's catchy and it reminds me of another song I liked like 10years ago. I think the solo was good, better than the one in The End I think, especially the beginning of the solo. Verses sounded a bit weird at first. It was ''heavier'' than I thought after I saw u describe it, I thought it would be like Through Oblivion which is kind of dull. And I don't agree with the side-project things. If a person or a band wants to write any music they want, if they want to shift styles completely, go from death metal to writing a jazz album, it should be no problem. It's still the same guys writing music, they don't have any responsibility to write a certain type of music behind a certain named group or artist.
I have no problem with guys in bands doing solo side projects or being in another side project band with other guys writing any type of music either. If someone or some people wants to release music it shouldn't matter behind what name it's released. None of those songs are solo written by Anders and not approved by the band or anything like that, it's a band effort, all their albums are, even though Björn & Anders writes the music together nowadays (and possibly Niclas this time around).

This is exactly my point, who cares what band has released X song if you think it's good. Why does In Flames have to release a certain type of sounding music for it to be accepted coming from In Flames? ''I like this track if it would have been released by another band'', absurd logic IMO.

The problem I have with In Flames' 'experimental' tracks is that they completely screw up the flow of the albums they are on. Tracks like TCP, for example, are SO different to everything else that they stick out like a sore thumb. "The End" and "The Truth" sound like they were written by two completely different bands. Whether you like them or not, that isn't good for two songs that are supposed to be on the same album.

The best albums are the ones with clear identities, imo. Not albums that jump around from genre to genre (jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind). The Truth has no business being on the same album as a track like The End. They're songs from two different genres entirely. In Flames muddies their identity with this shit, and in being so inconsistent over the years I genuinely believe they have hurt their standing as a band.

Reactions: only4theweak187
The problem I have with In Flames' 'experimental' tracks is that they completely screw up the flow of the albums they are on. Tracks like TCP, for example, are SO different to everything else that they stick out like a sore thumb. "The End" and "The Truth" sound like they were written by two completely different bands. Whether you like them or not, that isn't good for two songs that are supposed to be on the same album.

The best albums are the ones with clear identities, imo. Not albums that jump around from genre to genre (jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind). The Truth has no business being on the same album as a track like The End. They're songs from two different genres entirely. In Flames muddies their identity with this shit, and in being so inconsistent over the years I genuinely believe they have hurt their standing as a band.

I absolutely see what you mean there, and I too hope that the rest of the album follows The End's style, or even better a bit harder still, more toward SOAPF or something to that effect. The one thing I have to say is, for me personally, this is exactly where I want Anders to be vocally. The verses in The End is my sweet spot for growls, and his cleans have improved massively. It should be somewhere in between RTR and Sense, that is what I like ^^

I was expecting a pile of shit when I saw some of the people here describing The Truth, but I like the song. It's not great, but I've only listened to it 2 times on speakers. I like the chorus, some might call it cheesy but it's catchy and it reminds me of another song I liked like 10years ago. I think the solo was good, better than the one in The End I think, especially the beginning of the solo. Verses sounded a bit weird at first. It was ''heavier'' than I thought after I saw u describe it, I thought it would be like Through Oblivion which is kind of dull. And I don't agree with the side-project things. If a person or a band wants to write any music they want, if they want to shift styles completely, go from death metal to writing a jazz album, it should be no problem. It's still the same guys writing music, they don't have any responsibility to write a certain type of music behind a certain named group or artist.
I have no problem with guys in bands doing solo side projects or being in another side project band with other guys writing any type of music either. If someone or some people wants to release music it shouldn't matter behind what name it's released. None of those songs are solo written by Anders and not approved by the band or anything like that, it's a band effort, all their albums are, even though Björn & Anders writes the music together nowadays (and possibly Niclas this time around).

This is exactly my point, who cares what band has released X song if you think it's good. Why does In Flames have to release a certain type of sounding music for it to be accepted coming from In Flames? ''I like this track if it would have been released by another band'', absurd logic IMO.

Isn't that your usual self? Then, in about a year you'll be saying that the songs "aren't that good".

And, obviously, I don't agree with your views about the bands. You know well that IF has not evolved or matured, they have changed, they have left their own path to do generic music. If it was not labeled under their name nobody would give a shit, this is why they keep on releasing this kind of songs under the IF name.

I absolutely see what you mean there, and I too hope that the rest of the album follows The End's style, or even better a bit harder still, more toward SOAPF or something to that effect. The one thing I have to say is, for me personally, this is exactly where I want Anders to be vocally. The verses in The End is my sweet spot for growls, and his cleans have improved massively. It should be somewhere in between RTR and Sense, that is what I like ^^

If the general album sound is like The End then that's fine, no problem with that. It'll be like SOAPF's little brother, which I can live with. If The Truth was at the end of the album that might be OK, but it's listed in the leak as Track 2. It's not as bad as putting TCP right in the middle of ASOP (should have been at the end, like Liberation on SOAPF) but still. It's like the band don't understand the basic concept of album flow or just don't give a shit. It's OK to say the band have a right to experiment and whatever, sure, but there's a way to do it. IMO, this isn't it. The Truth is way too far outside of the boundaries to be called experimentation, it's a totally different genre and style and will jar any listener who wants to listen to the album from start to finish.

Reactions: only4theweak187
Remember what you said about THrough Oblivion?

I actually like it after the first listen. It's a weird balladish song, but damn there's an improvement in Anders clean vocals, at least in this song, there's not many nasal/whiny tones. I like that there's a big punch in the drums also.
The only balladish song I can't fucking stand is Liberation, live it was okay though. By the way, the samples in the chorus, I feel like I recognize it from somewhere, anyone knows?

Last EDIT: Damn I'm really digging this song after 4 listens. I like it way more than Rusted Nail. I bet this song is going to be even more hated because it's not a fast and heavy song but I know there'll be some of those on the album so I'm not worried.

this is exactly where I want Anders to be vocally. The verses in The End is my sweet spot for growls, and his cleans have improved massively.

Only in studio man. Only in studio. And you can see how much production they have put to his voice on The Truth.

I guess the trend towards streaming and Spotify suits In Flames as you can only download/buy songs you like off each album rather than buying the whole album and be concerned with the flow and inconsistency in tastes. I don't think thats a bad thing.

What I dont like is that the Truth is the lead single.Its the first thing most people will hear when they look for In Flame's new album or want to discover in Flames. And this song is basically pop so it gives people the wrong impression of In Flames.

Reactions: DE4life