IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

Well after listening bunch of times, I decided. Song is awesome! It's so catchy I just find myself singing the prechorus and chorus!
DID YOU FIND YOURSELF LOST, IN THE WORLD WE SWORE TO PROTEEECTTT, just awesome lol

The chorus is the highlight, yeah. I still dig the main riff, too. I just wish the rest of the song were a little more interesting. By the way, the rhythm guitars during the solo are straight out of "Move Through Me".

They should rush the next album. Like Siren Charms. And The Jester Race! I've more or less preferred their rushed material to the more meticulously-planned albums, actually. Give me more of it.

I don't think Niclas is capable of getting angry. Maybe that's a product of his English being severely lacking but he seems like such a chilled-out dude. Whereas I can imagine, like, Anders really flying off the handle if provoked just so. Although he does do a lot of yelling. :U

The thing is, it's not a bad song.

It's energetic, the chorus is soaring and anthemic-- in general it's decently well composed (it flows properly, unlike something like Rusted Nail that has taped together riffs that sound terrible together (prechorus anyone?))

That said-- there are a few things that just torpedo the whole thing from becoming a good song:

1. It's pretty boring, both the main riff and the song structure are bog standard and boring. We've heard that pedal tone riff a million times before from metalcore bands nowadays.
  2. The Solo is fucking atrocious.
  3. The mixing during the solo is atrocious. The solo is way too high in the mix.
  4. Anders screams are put through some weird fuzz filter that makes them sound distant, thin and weak.
  5. The production in general is pretty flat and boring. The guitar tone is like ASOP-- i.e. Not good.

All of the songs I've heard off Battles so far - even including The Truth - are better than anything off Siren Charms. That isn't saying much, but at least it's a slight improvement. On Siren Charms it was like they'd forgotten how to make good songs, and so just set generic riffs to basic song templates and hoped for the best. A lot of the songs on that album completely fail to flow, and the flat production just makes it even worse.

For me, SC is beyond doubt the worst album In Flames have ever released. Worse than ASOP, far worse than STYE. It's embarrassing, a serious stain on their legacy as a band.

I can already tell Battles isn't going to be that bad. It'll be more on the level of ASOP. Far from what they were once capable of, but with some decent bits that make it acceptable if not anything special.

It's amusing seeing comments on that YouTube video of Through My Eyes, saying Anders' voice sounds strained all of a sudden. It's sounded strained since day fucking one :D these fuckers need to listen to Koln '96. Or Clayman, his vocal chords sound like they're about to snap on that album.

I really dig the new track. It's on par with The End if not better in my opinion. I like the simple thrashy riff and the ''new'' approach on the screams, and the chorus is really nice, sounded weird the first chorus but then I got used to it and then it just gets more and more catchy after a couple listens. Solo is pretty good too. Niclas said in the Battle's clip as well that the album is more faster and upbeat than Siren Charms, which can only be a plus in my book, so maybe we can expect a couple more faster songs as well.

And yeah I almost get triggered when I read comments like ''The original members are ashamed of what the guys did after Clayman'' literally one comment like that, they are acting as if Jesper only wrote stuff until Clayman and then left. And about the original members, Anders is literally the original vocalist of In Flames. Lunar Strain & Subterranean only had session vocalists and drummers (Lunar Strain drums entirely by Jesper though I think). It's not like Lunar Strain is where they got their fame or recognition in any way either, it was after Anders & Björn joined the band. I mean sure I count Glenn & Johan as the original bass & guitarist, but Johan never wrote music, and Glenn wrote some music music too but mostly Jesper on TJR. But on Whoracle it's mostly Jesper and Björn with some Glenn. If I recall correctly I think Jesper or Björn said Glenn already had one foot out the door kind of during the recordings.

TL;DR, Björn & Anders are pretty much original members so people flaming the band as if all the current members joined 10 years ago is just retarded.

Last edited:
I agree with Cobra that TME is better composed than Rusted nail, but it is far from perfect. It's like they need 20 more seconds of music for the song to flow properly.

Vocals - even in studio Anders does not have the range to sing this. And we end up with that awful half girlish scream, half yell, with 100 layers and effects.

It would be so cool if he could, after like 15 years of trying, find his style of singing and start writting vocal melodies he is capable doing.

Reactions: AtotheK
The issue with the screams is not that they're "strained". The issue is that they're put through some weird ass filter/effect/fuzz that makes them sound absolutely terrible.

Compare the harsh vocals in The End with the ones in TME. The difference is night and day.

I can't get over how bad the solo is and the mixing on the solo. Holy crap, it's so cringy.

The wah, tone, composition of it itself is just so fucking bad. Like a placeholder you'd stick into your very very first demo.

Reactions: A88 and AtotheK
The issue with the screams is not that they're "strained". The issue is that they're put through some weird ass filter/effect/fuzz that makes them sound absolutely terrible.

Compare the harsh vocals in The End with the ones in TME. The difference is night and day.

Anders has been putting effects on his screams for years to make them sound less strained. You only have to listen to a live performance to hear how weak they actually are. He was doing it as far back as Clayman, putting those weird murmuring parts underneath the screams to try and flesh them out a little. It doesn't really effect the quality of the album, though, and it wouldn't be an issue here either if the music behind the vocals was great. Unfortunately, it isn't, so people focus on the vocals as they are currently the melodic focal point for 90% of each song.

Reactions: AtotheK
The wah, tone, composition of it itself is just so fucking bad. Like a placeholder you'd stick into your very very first demo.

That, and the fact that it rips off a few seconds from 2-3 different IF solos from ASOP-SOAPF-SC era.

So, I have a probably dumb question about the solos. Who does them on TME?

To me, it seems like the first one is Niclas' the second is Björn's, but if it's both Björn's, then how the fuck can you do that switch with a guitar? Also, the first solo (or call it a riff) is continuing behind the second one.

I like TME, very similar (but not QUITE as good) song to The End. Has a good message too. I'm looking forward to the album as it is shaping up to be a lot better than SC, which I though was OK.

My original guess that this album will sound like SC crossed with ASOP probably won't be far off...

I'm just waiting for a song which has a slightly different structure or 'feel' to be released, as all 3 so far have had a similar vibe (even if The Truth was drastically more pop). We know Wallflower will definitely be different, but hopefully more will be too.

Reactions: Seppo91
So, I have a probably dumb question about the solos. Who does them on TME?

To me, it seems like the first one is Niclas' the second is Björn's, but if it's both Björn's, then how the fuck can you do that switch with a guitar? Also, the first solo (or call it a riff) is continuing behind the second one.
Probably Bjorn since he is been doing all of the solos in the past albums.

Not necessarily.

Also, there aren't two different guitars. It's the same guitar player doing the full solo. And it's obviously Bjorn.

How the fuck is that possible. The same riff that starts, when Anders is screaming his lines, is continuing on once the solo kicks in.