IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

If you listen to the Koln 96 video, that's the worst I've ever heard him, and that was 20 years ago! His voice sounded on the verge of collapse then. It's amazing he didn't totally fuck it up back in those days, he had no technique at all.

It really is hilarious to see. Moonshield is especially nuts to watch.

He literally was yelling like a person in an insanely violent argument with someone

It really is hilarious to see. Moonshield is especially nuts to watch.

He literally was yelling like a person in an insanely violent argument with someone

Listening to him on that recording makes MY throat hurt. It's the same on the Behind Space live recording that was on Whoracle (was that from the same show?)

The other show where he sounds awful was Seoul in 2002. That's actually quite uncomfortable to watch as you can see he's struggling. There's a show in London from around the same period where he literally can't scream, he's just yelling everything and it sounds terrible. I do wonder if he pursued some kind of change after that, as from STYE onwards there was a noticeable improvement in the power of his vocals both on CD and live.

Yeah, but you say that every year :D

Anyway, my point - which maybe got lost as the post got longer - was that Anders is no better or worse vocally than he was 15 years ago, imo.

If you listen to the Koln 96 video, that's the worst I've ever heard him, and that was 20 years ago! His voice sounded on the verge of collapse then. It's amazing he didn't totally fuck it up back in those days, he had no technique at all.
Well I do, but I have seen them 1 time per year since 2008 excluding 2010 so I know what I'm talking about :p

Nuclear Blast is a good thing in my opinion. Also said they are releasing the DVD later this year, but no tentative release date on album yet it seems.

Reactions: Laverna
Yeah, from memory, I can recall that uh, Hultsfred 2003 performance of Colony and Black and White. This was right before he, I assume, learned to scream more efficiently and healthy. The Used and Abused DVD the following year even though it was mostly dubbed over... The screams were so much improved.

So, I wonder who the new drummer is and again, what type of style this new album will be... Curious curious

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah, from memory, I can recall that uh, Hultsfred 2003 performance of Colony and Black and White. This was right before he, I assume, learned to scream more efficiently and healthy. The Used and Abused DVD the following year even though it was mostly dubbed over... The screams were so much improved.

I actually thought Colony from Hultsfred 03 was fine, but Black and White... holy shit :D Anders was either drunk or high. He absolutely butchered it and forgot most of the lyrics.

The Used & Abused DVD is really good. The STYE songs come off very well live, much better than on CD. Except Bottled, obviously. That song is a turd no matter what.

In a way, it's surprising Anders was so hardcore with his vocals on STYE and CC. Albums like ASOP would have been easier to stomach if Anders had gradually reduced his screaming over the course of previous albums, but there was still plenty of harsh vocals on both STYE and CC. And he sounded good, too. I'd love to know what the fuck happened during the ASOP recordings to make him sound so terrible.

I'd love to know what the fuck happened during the ASOP recordings to make him sound so terrible.

Maybe it was a reaction to the final part of CC tour, when he was harshly critiziced for his live vocals or maybe it was because he was destroying his voice.

Maybe it was a reaction to the final part of CC tour, when he was harshly critiziced for his live vocals or maybe it was because he was destroying his voice.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the touring caught up with his vocal chords. In Flames were touring beasts around that time.

DE4life I forgot about the seoul 2002 show. His voice was crazy raw there but fuck was that a good show. Gyroscope instrumentally sounds killer. What a set list that was, moonshield, colony etc etc

Rock am Ring 2006 on YouTube was what got me back into in flames as a teenager when I stopped listening for a bit at the end of '04.

Regardless of his cleans or whatever. Andres screams IMO were brutally awesome there. During colony when he goes "populated, by the fathomless... AND THE UNBEARABLE" kicking into Colony's heavy as fuck riff always destroyed whenever I watched it.

Echoaid good point. Couldn't they release the DVD in the summer to help hype the album for like the fall?

Echoaid good point. Couldn't they release the DVD in the summer to help hype the album for like the fall?

They can, but I think that's going to test the fidelity of the fans. I supose that the older ones (who I supose are the collector type) will wait until the release of the new album to buy something new; some of the rest will buy both and others will wait some months before buying any of them. Probably the ones that will buy the DVD the moment that it's released will be the ones more pleased with SC.

As for me, I will not buy the DVD unless they add some special feature like the videoclips collection or some older show, and the new album only if it deserves it (I did not buy SC and I won't).

I still considere a bad policy to make two releases in a short time.

Last edited:
As for me, I will not buy the DVD unless they add some special feature like the videoclips collection or some older show, and the new album only if it deserves it (I did not buy SC and I won't).

I still considere a bad policy to make two releases in a short time.

Fair points. The days of DVD's being a lot more work for the artist are over I think. Used and Abused had those cringe filled intverviews but a bunch of live footage and random stuff.

I think content like that is over from bands. Too much extra work.

Probably will be just a show one can digital download.

Could be wrong though

If the same guy will be responsible for the cuts who did the Paralyzed video, I'm just gonna get the audio version and not even bother with trying to suffer through the video.

Sounds mixed well at least.

Are we hearing the same thing? From what I can tell they went WAY overboard with the compression, to the point where everything sounds like a blurry mess. The guitars sound grainy and toothless, not punching through the mix with anywhere near as much power as they ought to, Dan's drums sound pathetic (especially the snare, it should sound like a cannon for fuck's sake!), and the whole thing just lacks presence, sort of like it's merely swirling around harmlessly instead of knocking you flat on your ass with its sheer power. You'd think that after sitting on this for nearly 2 years they'd be able to get it sounding a hell of a lot better. Used and Abused kicks the shit out of this. Hell, it's not even all that much better than The Tokyo Showdown. I wasn't exactly expecting much considering the state of the setlist, but if that's the best they can do then I can't say I'm impressed.

The guitars sound grainy and toothless, not punching through the mix with anywhere near as much power as they ought to, Dan's drums sound pathetic (especially the snare, it should sound like a cannon for fuck's sake!), and the whole thing just lacks presence, sort of like it's merely swirling around harmlessly instead of knocking you flat on your ass with its sheer power.

They got the Siren Charms sound spot on, then.