IN FLAMES new album being released by the end of 2016

You will get shit for this post, but I'd rather focus on your mentality, rather than nitpicking on your words. I mean, someone will surely reply to you sth like "YEAH, MAKING POP SONGS WHEN UR 40 IS CHALLENING ALL RIGHT XDXD".

But the point is, what you meant to make across, that they've been doing this for a long time, and I don't understand @DE4life remark about The Truth (and giving it a 0) that it's not IF. Was STYE IF because it had some older elements, like the outro of Touch Of Red? Or is it considered IF now, because aside from the production, you dig some of the songs? Like, in many ways ASOP was more IF than STYE or CC for example.

It's like the topic of IF should change names. They could've changed names 10 years ago too, the only difference is that while the mindfuckery that was Come Clarity was pretty much universally liked, while recent changes are not. You criticize Anders for being immature, yet your view on what IF and what not is just as immature as his lyrics (not talking to you, Buz).

I have to assume this is just being controversial for the sake of it, as nobody is this stupid.

Reactions: JesterSlaveSucks
If you define nicely crafted as "wahhhh-wahhhhhhh" then yeah, there's loads. Otherwise no, not really. The song intros are the best part of this album by far, a few really nice ones. Then the song is always derailed by a total loss of momentum in the verses and Anders' singing.

Honestly, when I listen to this I feel like I wasn't the target demographic at all. As a grown, adult man, it's hard not to cringe listening to Anders singing these lyrics. It feels like the album is meant for much younger, less mature people. 12-17 year olds, maybe. Just getting into metal and wanting to hear something catchy, not too offensive, and that speaks to their limited life experiences. This is what Battles is.

Well SC was the same. Some odd powerfull moment, melody, riff kicks in, you expect something good... nope, back to basic drums, some pointless clean guitar and Anders singing weird vocal melody.

As for demographics, I noticed that too. I feel shame listening this. It's made for kids. And not all kids. Sad kids.

Can't remember the last time somebody told me they listen IF or take them seriously. We're getting old bro.

I have to assume this is just being controversial for the sake of it, as nobody is this stupid.
Just read your The Truth review.
Well SC was the same. Some odd powerfull moment, melody, riff kicks in, you expect something good... nope, back to basic drums, some pointless clean guitar and Anders singing weird vocal melody.

As for demographics, I noticed that too. I feel shame listening this. It's made for kids. And not all kids. Sad kids.

Can't remember the last time somebody told me they listen IF or take them seriously. We're getting old bro.
The last record had a bunch of songs which talked abount humanity's going down the drain and us destroying the planet. You hated it. Now it's about personal, emo stuff and you hate this too.

What is Anders supposed to sing about to make you folks happy?

Battles is SC with more energy, basically. My biggest problem with SC was that the structure of almost every song was exactly the same, and Battles has the same issue. It's so noticeable.

What's strange is that whilst we are getting old and wanting more mature music, In Flames seem to be getting less mature as time goes on. That kind of sucks. Their output both lyrically and musically was far more complex when I was a teenager... it doesn't seem right.

I must say as a musician and writer for 25 years, I am very impressed with how much these guys grow between albums. "Battles" is gonna take some listening for me. I respect how these guys challenge themselves and keep moving forward. I'd rather have fresh than stale. I am hearing very cool 80's elements in the songs which is kinda cool. I guess with this record I will have to listen to it and keep in mind, "Load and Re-load." I will have to change my expectation and adjust my view of this band plying music that is so far removed from anything they have ever done.

Sorry man, they've been doing this for two albums now.

Also, when you recycle old riffs, 4 notes melodies and your every solo sounds absolutely the same... i can't see how is that "reinventing"?

It is just a lack of inspiration and direction.

Not once this material gives me the urge to play something on guitar, or learn some of that stuff. It's just so flat, predictable and banal.

Battles is SC with more energy, basically. My biggest problem with SC was that the structure of almost every song was exactly the same, and Battles has the same issue. It's so noticeable.

What's strange is that whilst we are getting old and wanting more mature music, In Flames seem to be getting less mature as time goes on. That kind of sucks. Their output both lyrically and musically was far more complex when I was a teenager... it doesn't seem right.
Sigh, I'm curious now, tell me which songs were not following a "boring" pattern on Come Clarity?

Leeches started with the chorus, and its chorus was expanded each time. Your Bedtime Story was unique. Vacuum starts out like System, I guess that's a plus. These I recognize, but what about the rest? Most of the other songs just have varying choruses.

Sigh, I'm curious now, tell me which songs were not following a "boring" pattern on Come Clarity?

Leeches started with the chorus, and its chorus was expanded each time. Your Bedtime Story was unique. Vacuum starts out like System, I guess that's a plus. These I recognize, but what about the rest? Most of the other songs just have varying choruses.

It's just different, man. Every song on SC and Battles sounds like it was created from a basic template. No previous albums sounds like this, even ASOP or SOAPF. Melodic intro, quieter verse w/signing, pre-chorus and/or chorus, quieter verse, pre-chorus and/or chorus, wahhh solo... practically every song. I hate how predictable it is.

And riffs. CC has a lot of amazing riffs. ANd there is also a variety of sounds. Something more modern like Reflect the Storm, some more hardcore like Scream, classic like Pacing death's trail. And many different rythms. I think that album is the one that make Daniel the happier.

Reactions: Midas and DE4life
The way I see it, the lyrics are direct but also curious, he's not hiding behind metaphors of metaphors, or deep mysterious hidden meanings.
Anders has done that, I don't think it has anything to do with maturity, he's just saying what he wants to say and sure, can be accessed by a much wider audience, but does that mean it's immature because he's written more direct with the album than any previous effort?
I can agree that it will hit well with the younger audiences, but does being older mean you can't enjoy this music?
I would say that the reason the lyrics are portrayed in a simple and direct way is because Anders is happy in life, he feels young at heart, and doesn't feel the need to write complex deep in thought lyrics, this probably came naturually and isn't forced, that's how I interpret.

Actually I love the solo of In My Room. One of the best solo that he wrote for the last few years.
Except that the beginning is a variation from Embody the Invisible (just listen starting 1:50). Though the end of the solo is pretty good.

As for the guitars that you talk in Like Sand, they are practically a remake of All For Me.

Reactions: Midas and DE4life
but does being older mean you can't enjoy this music?
Apparently, from my own experience, yes (I don't enjoy their music and I'm the same age as they are).

I would say that the reason the lyrics are portrayed in a simple and direct way is because Anders is happy in life, he feels young at heart, and doesn't feel the need to write complex deep in thought lyrics, this probably came naturually and isn't forced, that's how I interpret.
No, he is just having a midlife crisis. You will understand when you reach your 40s.

Reactions: Midas

Thing not exclusive to IF.

A lot of bands have the same problem. They can't write about the same stuff again, they don't have the energy they had as young people, and they are not skilled-inspired enough to make music and lyrics that go with their age.

The way I see it, the lyrics are direct but also curious, he's not hiding behind metaphors of metaphors, or deep mysterious hidden meanings.
Anders has done that, I don't think it has anything to do with maturity, he's just saying what he wants to say and sure, can be accessed by a much wider audience, but does that mean it's immature because he's written more direct with the album than any previous effort?
I can agree that it will hit well with the younger audiences, but does being older mean you can't enjoy this music?
I mean, I listen to christian rock/metal too and I'm an atheist.

The reason he doesn't write complex lyrics is because he's lazy, just like the rest of the band. But let's be clear, I was absolutely fine with the lyrics on SOAPF. For me the last two albums have been lyrically diabolical, and yes, as an adult man I find it a bit weird to listen to a 40+ year old dude whining about his broken heart and being in his room. It wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the music was good enough to make me forget the lyrics, but it isn't. In fact, in the verses the other instruments practically stop to let Anders "shine", so it's impossible to ignore what he's saying.

As for Anders being happy... okay, then why are all his lyrics about how sad and broken he is? :D