Free Fall
Like Sand
Cloud Connected
-
The Jester Race
The Inborn Lifeless
Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
The End​
That setlist made my brain hurt, cuz it's just soo random. Let's try a jab at it

Cloud Connected
Biosphere
- (the fuck are these btw?)
Drained
Zombie Inc.
The End
-
Minus
Like Sand
Dead Eternity
-
The Jester Race
The Inborn Lifeless
Free Fall
Take This Life
I still have no fucking idea what's your plan with a setlist like this, but at least:
- Cloud Connected extended synth opener is a good first song.
- Scorn is mehhh. Bunch of better songs on Colony.
- One does not simply put Take This Life anywhere else but to the end. Yes, it's veeery artistic to end the show with a song called The End, but no, you have to put a big gun there.
- Goliath fucking sucks, put Dead Eternity there because it's cool.

But for realsies, why is such a setlist good? This way it has an okay flow, but people would be rather pissed. I mean, even if you want old songs, The Inborn Lifeless is like meeehh compared to what you could excavate under the ruins, and same goes for your proposed Scorn (it sounds like a decent live song at least) and Goliath.

A good record where the drums were programmed, but were excellent is Wisdom of Crowds. The Pineapple Thief's Bruce Soord wrote the album and had Katatonia's Jonas Renkse do vocals. I was about to praise the drummer until I realised they were programmed.

For sure bro, programmed drums don't necessarily have to sound bad. The fact is, regardless of whether the drums are or are not programmed on Battles, they sound terrible. Not as bad as the drum snare on STYE, mind, but still bad.

I wouldn't say it reflects badly on CJ, as he didn't write the drum parts and was perfectly competent performing them (if he is), but it does reflect badly on Bjorn and the production studio.

Sounds like the people who compiled N'Flaymz wikipedia pretty much got everything spot on :D

Niclas seems like a pretty cool guy. The bottom of Bjorn's beard looks like a pair of saggy tits, he needs to get that cut.

Anders is so strange to look at these days. It's like all the features of his face have inverted towards the middle. Every time I listen to him talk normally I can really hear the strain of all these years of harsh vocals. In some ways I don't blame him for cutting a lot of it out.

Sounds like the people who compiled N'Flaymz wikipedia pretty much got everything spot on :D

Niclas seems like a pretty cool guy. The bottom of Bjorn's beard looks like a pair of saggy tits, he needs to get that cut.

Anders is so strange to look at these days. It's like all the features of his face have inverted towards the middle. Every time I listen to him talk normally I can really hear the strain of all these years of harsh vocals. In some ways I don't blame him for cutting a lot of it out.

/RANT/
When he asked about Jesper, everyone was like "oh shit, not this again...". I don't buy it that Anders and Jesper are still in good terms, they probably not interact too much with one another, but the way they described Jesper's departure it should be pretty obvious for everyone that Jesper was rock fucking bottom.

I mean, just a week ago, an ex room-mate of ours (we are in a course) walked in drunk as fuck, he's 2 meters 10, 97 kg, so basically twice as big and tall as me. He was unbearable, wanted to stir up shit, start fights and just mumbled nothing. Then he walked to the window (we were on the 2nd floor), put down his rings and made a half-assed attempt at jumping out. He made it slow enough so my other two roommates could grab him and pull him back. He started crying. Then after 5 mins he continued talking about fucking nothing, despite them asking him about his problems.

See, I already ran out of fucks to give when he was about to jump; would've made it easier if he finally got himself into a medical ward, as sad it is to say. I was there when he fucking vomited and pissed all over them room (he got expelled for that), trying to help him into the shower (with no success), I was there enduring his absolutely terrorizing behaviour, and the only reason I didn't smashed his head open was because he could pretty much kill me with one hand, so we pretty much had to endure his power-trips.

I mean, I like the guy, but I had fucking Vietnam flashbacks whenever he was still around in our room. Just no.

The way some people imply IF was stupid and mean to let/make Jesper leave is just infuriating. The last few months gave me a new perspective on dealing with someone who is a fucking alcoholic and is a complete mess on the inside as well.
/RANT/

You did not kid, when you said Anders sounded terrible for a few years... geez, and to think you guys have a problem with him NOW, woowowow

edit: also, listened to some epic older songs, especially their solos.... HOLY SHIT, Episode 666 and Zombie Inc. both suck donkey dick. They did not kid about the guitar layers, hahaha. The second part of the Zombie Inc. solo was okay, but I will survive if I'll never hear it live. Just embarassing live - at least the way they did that on that vid.

Last edited:
/RANT/
When he asked about Jesper, everyone was like "oh shit, not this again...". I don't buy it that Anders and Jesper are still in good terms, they probably not interact too much with one another, but the way they described Jesper's departure it should be pretty obvious for everyone that Jesper was rock fucking bottom.

I mean, just a week ago, an ex room-mate of ours (we are in a course) walked in drunk as fuck, he's 2 meters 10, 97 kg, so basically twice as big and tall as me. He was unbearable, wanted to stir up shit, start fights and just mumbled nothing. Then he walked to the window (we were on the 2nd floor), put down his rings and made a half-assed attempt at jumping out. He made it slow enough so my other two roommates could grab him and pull him back. He started crying. Then after 5 mins he continued talking about fucking nothing, despite them asking him about his problems.

See, I already ran out of fucks to give when he was about to jump; would've made it easier if he finally got himself into a medical ward, as sad it is to say. I was there when he fucking vomited and pissed all over them room (he got expelled for that), trying to help him into the shower (with no success), I was there enduring his absolutely terrorizing behaviour, and the only reason I didn't smashed his head open was because he could pretty much kill me with one hand, so we pretty much had to endure his power-trips.

I mean, I like the guy, but I had fucking Vietnam flashbacks whenever he was still around in our room. Just no.

The way some people imply IF was stupid and mean to let/make Jesper leave is just infuriating. The last few months gave me a new perspective on dealing with someone who is a fucking alcoholic and is a complete mess on the inside as well.
/RANT/

Yeah, you can tell when they talk about Jesper that there's still some bad feelings there - particularly with Anders. It doesn't seem like they were ever that close and really grew apart when Jesper's alcoholism went out of control. Can't blame anybody for Jesper leaving, that's just how it had to be.

You did not kid, when you said Anders sounded terrible for a few years... geez, and to think you guys have a problem with him NOW, woowowow

edit: also, listened to some epic older songs, especially their solos.... HOLY SHIT, Episode 666 and Zombie Inc. both suck donkey dick. They did not kid about the guitar layers, hahaha. The second part of the Zombie Inc. solo was okay, but I will survive if I'll never hear it live. Just embarassing live - at least the way they did that on that vid.

Search for live songs from Seoul 2002, it's actually painful to watch Anders performing. He's literally holding his throat through half the songs. Really uncomfortable viewing and he sounds awful.

As for the old songs sounding bad live, don't be fooled. They can be pulled off fine live, the band are just lazy. Half the time Bjorn butchers the OFTW solo out of pure laziness, and he's played that one about a million times by now. Imagine how it was in the 90's when they'd rather play Tekken 2 than record an album.

That setlist made my brain hurt, cuz it's just soo random. Let's try a jab at it

Cloud Connected
Biosphere
Drained
Zombie Inc.
The End
-
Minus
Like Sand
Dead Eternity
-
The Jester Race
The Inborn Lifeless
Free Fall
Take This Life
I still have no fucking idea what's your plan with a setlist like this, but at least:
- One does not simply put Take This Life anywhere else but to the end. Yes, it's veeery artistic to end the show with a song called The End, but no, you have to put a big gun there.

But for realsies, why is such a setlist good? This way it has an okay flow, but people would be rather pissed. I mean, even if you want old songs, The Inborn Lifeless is like meeehh compared to what you could excavate under the ruins, and same goes for your proposed Scorn (it sounds like a decent live song at least) and Goliath.
I just have to chime in here and stick up for Scorn and Goliaths. It's okay that we disagree but those are two of my favorite In Flames songs. Love them.

Yeah, there's a reason I totally stopped caring about their new releases in the early 2000s. That video is a good example of why. It's actually amazing they ended up decently recovering after that period.

That solo on Black and White is a joke too. Sounded even worse live.

I just have to chime in here and stick up for Scorn and Goliaths. It's okay that we disagree but those are two of my favorite In Flames songs. Love them.
Scorn, I can see, it's an okay track on the record, love it when Anders talks through that voice filter, but I can't see people going crazy over that song live. But Goliaths?? What's good in it? I listened through Jester's Race again sunday and man, that song is like a sore thumb on that record. Yeah-yeah, technically it's on an EP I believe, but still from the TJR-era.

Scorn, I can see, it's an okay track on the record, love it when Anders talks through that voice filter, but I can't see people going crazy over that song live. But Goliaths?? What's good in it? I listened through Jester's Race again sunday and man, that song is like a sore thumb on that record. Yeah-yeah, technically it's on an EP I believe, but still from the TJR-era.
Just listened to Scorn again and reaffirmed my love for it. It's fast paced, awesome leads, fantastic solo, great vocals that get downright brutal. 10/10 for sure. If I heard this live I would go crazy, hard to believe others wouldn't.

As for Goliaths Disarm their Davids, it was an EP between TJR and Whoracle but in the same year as Whoracle came out. I have the stand alone Black Ash Inheritance EP but if this was on TJR as a bonus I'm not surprised it stood out. Production is more similar to Whoracle but lacks the power of Whoracle (I say that in a non-disparaging way). If they put it on Whoracle it would sound weak. It stands alone.

Why is Goliaths so great? It's like the missing link between TJR and Whoracle. Like Whoracle in that it had more expansive production, a bigger and clearer lead guitar and solo tone and style. They gave the vocals more room in the mix where Anders' extreme vocals have now reached their full brutality without any of the later fatigue. (Like they said in that Wiki video they only did something like 12 tour dates for TJR plus one-offs).

But it still retains the charm and core musical elements of TJR. The verse and chorus riffs are simtaneously rhythmic and melodic in a way only In Flames could ever pull off. The song maintains its composure, never rushing, well-paced. For example, look at how long that transition is from verse to chorus 1:40 to 1:55 and 2:34 to 2:48 "Eyes, Eyes". Nobody rushed in to add more vocals or leads, they just let the song unfold at its own pace. To me that kind of artistic side defines the TJR era which is maintained here. Lyrics are great too.

Goliaths is a fantastic song 10/10 even ranked on a classic In Flames scale. Again, if I heard this live I would go crazy.

Reactions: DE4life
Slave, he just made a set list he'd like to see.

He wasn't factoring in current IF's live tendencies.

Also. Zombie Inc's solo is great. Just like the rest of the album.

Reactions: galvanized
Yeah, I'll never get enough of that clean, bluesy start to the Zombie Inc. solo. I guess Jesper was the blues guy? They sure as hell don't do that anymore.

Embody the Invisible is possibly the best start to an album ever :D the first five seconds tell you everything you need to know about Colony. It's awesome.

Reactions: galvanized
Slave, he just made a set list he'd like to see.

He wasn't factoring in current IF's live tendencies.

Also. Zombie Inc's solo is great. Just like the rest of the album.
Very unlikely, as he did not even gave Battles a 5 out of 10, yet he put there 3 songs from it. And you can't even counter this by saying he wanted the setlist to be a plausible one, because he just threw a bunch of songs from TJR there. IF playing even 1 song from the TJR/Subt/LS trio is wishful thinking on its own.

Yes, the solo on the record is hands down amazing, but this... this is a rollercoaster. It's like you winning the lottery, but then you remember you burned the ticket, then you get a call, your parents were murdered, but your wife calls, she went into labour, then you get hit by a bus on your way to the hospital, but you remember you have an awesome health insurance, but then you remember you are American, so you can't have an awesome health insurance, but at the very end you were drunk the whole time so you don't really care. That's my summary of that solo from the vid.
Just listened to Scorn again and reaffirmed my love for it. It's fast paced, awesome leads, fantastic solo, great vocals that get downright brutal. 10/10 for sure. If I heard this live I would go crazy, hard to believe others wouldn't.

As for Goliaths Disarm their Davids, it was an EP between TJR and Whoracle but in the same year as Whoracle came out. I have the stand alone Black Ash Inheritance EP but if this was on TJR as a bonus I'm not surprised it stood out. Production is more similar to Whoracle but lacks the power of Whoracle (I say that in a non-disparaging way). If they put it on Whoracle it would sound weak. It stands alone.

Why is Goliaths so great? It's like the missing link between TJR and Whoracle. Like Whoracle in that it had more expansive production, a bigger and clearer lead guitar and solo tone and style. They gave the vocals more room in the mix where Anders' extreme vocals have now reached their full brutality without any of the later fatigue. (Like they said in that Wiki video they only did something like 12 tour dates for TJR plus one-offs).

But it still retains the charm and core musical elements of TJR. The verse and chorus riffs are simtaneously rhythmic and melodic in a way only In Flames could ever pull off. The song maintains its composure, never rushing, well-paced. For example, look at how long that transition is from verse to chorus 1:40 to 1:55 and 2:34 to 2:48 "Eyes, Eyes". Nobody rushed in to add more vocals or leads, they just let the song unfold at its own pace. To me that kind of artistic side defines the TJR era which is maintained here. Lyrics are great too.

Goliaths is a fantastic song 10/10 even ranked on a classic In Flames scale. Again, if I heard this live I would go crazy.
Colony is probably my least listened IF record after LS (not counting the Trigger and TMT EPs, but do counting Subterranean), and it's not even justifiable. The production (or the sounding of the songs) is a million times better than on Clayman and it has a bunch of good songs, but more importantly, it doesn't really have terrible ones.

Now, Goliath on the other hand lacks everything to me. The Jester Race sounds terribly outdated, on many songs the majority of the vocal parts are very bland, and the only saving grace is Anders not butchering them - and he makes Moonshield as great of a song as it is. But they have good ideas, a folky vibe and of course great melodies. But it also has absolutely terrible songs like Graveland, and in many ways, the whole record sounds primitive. Dead Eternity is a good example. That song is a bomb (=very good), but goddamn, some parts feel like they were just an afterthought. "Yeah, yeah, this is good, but what if we added this part to it too??" - reminds me of Skydancer, where the randomest shit can happen during songs.

Now, Whoracle is easily my favorite from the LS-Clayman discography; it has that LS/Subt/TJR aggression, but opens up to new stuff like Colony/Clayman. Anders sounds fucking great, plays with his voice oh so much more, the guitars are ripping ass, decent drums (okay, Colony and CC has the best drum settings for my ears), nice synths, still great solos, aaahh, I might even buy that record eventually, it's that good! The only song I am unable to get into is The Hive, which they still play for some reason.

Anyway, my point is that Goliaths are none of this. It's extremely far from Whoracle, but lacks that cool, experimenting vibe of TJR. It's just literally a... song. To me, it's most similar to Dead God In Me. I don't like that song at all, but it has some nice parts, some nice melodies, like the part that starts after 1:25. I have no idea what that style is, as half of TJR is a mystery to me, but it's kinda cool.

I like the intro for Goliath, that's actually Whoracle-ish now that you mentioned. That 30 seconds or so is promising, and it's still not too bad until Anders opens his mouth and the music changes with it as well. I guess if you get hooked on that one guitar melody it can be enjoyable. Now that I listen to it again, it's not shit, it's just rather boring and played very safe considering what they were doing on TJR and Whoracle.

Cloud Connected
Biosphere
Drained
Zombie Inc.
The End
-
Minus
Like Sand
Dead Eternity
-
The Jester Race
The Inborn Lifeless
Free Fall
Take This Life

The idea is to say what I want to hear.

The - (dash) is a ripple in space and time, obviously.

We like different things (opinions, you know). I have no problem with liking things you don't like.
I actually had Dead Eternity written in (and Zombie) instead of Goliaths, but I'd rather hear Goliaths (opinion).

I like Scorn (my opinion). We like different things. I have no problem with liking things you don't like.

Minus has a lot of power, and a very, very good melodical aspect. I remixed it properly for personal use a few days back so it isn't as bad as in the album, but I can understand what you're saying about the album version. I think it'd be a pretty good opener, but I could be wrong of course.

It doesn't have to open like it is done on the album version tho.
I don't mind it being a snare hit as the starting point, but I went ahead and made an intro for it, just to give you an example:

Slave, haha agree with Colony's production being better than Clayman. I used to debate my friend about that back in the day. Colony is perfect. Clayman ain't bad but if you work your way sequentially through the discography Colony reached peak in production.

TJR is more primitive or immature but that's why I like it. Ideas everywhere. Young and raw. Like you said Skydancer, Opeth's Orchid and Morningrise, tons of other similar vintage bands were in the same place. Their music was boundless. But just because it less rigidly adhered to modern pop music structure doesn't mean it was less focused. In my opinion those earlier releases conveyed the In Flames essence even more effectively than the later ones.

Reactions: Jester Slave
It doesn't have to open like it is done on the album version tho.
I don't mind it being a snare hit as the starting point, but I went ahead and made an intro for it, just to give you an example:

Very cool intro. I listened to Minus right after and it worked pretty well. Interested to hear any of your other stuff in the future.